Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 07:37:37 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  General
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Over a Million Gallons of Wastewater flows into Lamoille River
« previous next »
: [1]
: Over a Million Gallons of Wastewater flows into Lamoille River  ( 6516 )
nancyd
: 304

« : May 17, 2014, 07:17:57 AM »

The word is.....stay off the Lamoille River. News is that Hardwick Treatment plant accidentally caused over a million gallons of unchlorinated waste water to flow into the Lamoille River on Friday....Yuk

Article from Burlington Free Press
« : May 17, 2014, 07:23:16 AM nancyd »
kpplus2

« #1 : May 18, 2014, 01:48:12 AM »

Oh come on what's wrong with that? Winooski did it last month 1.2 Million gallons and Burlington has done it twice recently. Once with a broken pipe and another with an over flow last summer. While I here storm water run off is important and I should build a rain garden (whatever that is) in my yard to help keep the lake clean. But their is hope!! don't fear, Thank God the beautiful people at the state house passed a "No-idling" law so that ought to make things better. . . good grief
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #2 : May 18, 2014, 09:30:52 AM »

If "waste water" in the article is the same as "storm water", then it is no big deal.
It's far from ideal, yes.

The river will flush itself out.

The real positive thing is that it isn't sewage.

Rain gardens are collection points to let the water to percolate back into the ground leaving the sediment in the garden and not reach bodies of water or waste water systems.
http://www.raingardennetwork.com/

General Contractors, Civil Contractors, Fed and State DECs usually call them sediment ponds.

Look around newer larger parking lots, you will see some sort of sediment ponds.
Especially newer Walmarts.
They are to keep and treat all of that parking lot run off on their site.

Most of us call them black lagoons.
kpplus2

« #3 : May 18, 2014, 10:00:08 AM »

Whenever we get heavy rains in a short amount of time the "waste water" i.e. Raw sewage from these plants over flows and goes into our natural resources. Two different animals then waste water from parking lots or storm water run off run off. I have to honest with ya, "the river flushing itself out" doesn't make me feel any better. Our lake could be a wonderful Natural resource instead we deal with VERY large Algee plumes, warnings to our dogs not to drink, beeches getting shut down every summer due to high pollutants etc. it's pretty sad when you think about it.
nancyd

« #4 : May 18, 2014, 11:19:33 AM »

The Million gallon Wastewater flow into the Lamoille was caused a systems failure at the Hardwick Treatment Plant. this waste was not disinfected......this is not from rain water....
kpplus2

« #5 : May 18, 2014, 12:43:46 PM »

Well actually a "system failure" is caused by heavy rain it happens all the time across the country. If you don't believe me and want to get educated on the subject. Just do a simple internet search. Type in " heavy rain causes sewer overflow". The"system failure" is actually the system not being able to handle all the water at once. I know a little about it. Check it out you may be surprised how often this happens. Enjoy the sun today it's nice to see it.
nancyd

« #6 : May 18, 2014, 03:00:27 PM »

Thanks for clarifying that for me....
Vtsharon
: 25

« #7 : May 18, 2014, 05:45:25 PM »

As usual, WCAX is light on facts or details. There was a liner failure on a lagoon at the Treatment plant. This was tertiary treated wastewater that was in a the lagoon for more than a month before the unplanned discharged. This is not something to be highly concerned about, especially the level of treatment that had occurred before the discharge.
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #8 : May 28, 2014, 09:46:59 AM »

Thanks Sharon!  WCAX likes to make things much worse than they are! No worries on that water

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
: [1]  
« previous next »
: