Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:07:06 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Fairfax School Board Agenda for Special Budget Meeting Monday, 4/28
« previous next »
: 1 [2]
: Fairfax School Board Agenda for Special Budget Meeting Monday, 4/28  ( 11025 )
nhibbard
: 393

« #15 : May 01, 2014, 05:57:41 PM »

We all know the cost is not all attributable to the teachers compensation package. But it is over 60% of the budget according to what was presented. That means that a 1% increase in salary carries more cost than several items from other parts of the budget. Teachers are the glue and they are also the cost. One administrator was equal to about $100k from what I've heard. Based off the original budget that was voted down, 65% of the budget was related to the cost of compensation. Teacher salaries account for 56% of that. All other pay types were 19%. The balance was insurance, social security, retirement, workers comp, unemployment and tuition reimbursement. Insurance was about 16%. If you're not trying to contain the 60% of your budget, you're not going to contain costs. A 2% increase in the teacher salary line in one year amounts to over $100,000 in overall compensation cost in one year. 2% year of year creates almost a $200,000 increase in just two years.

I hope at the same time they're looking at how the contract affects the school, they look at the long term cost of any contract increases. Increased salaries affect the federal taxes that have to be paid along with other payroll costs. So if you're not avoiding the creation of new positions, the only real way to contain costs are through strong negotiation of salary adjustments and benefit contributions.

I agree that attendance may not have much of an effect because its down but I think you can admit that if you have 111 less than the peak total and 41 less than 10 years ago, there should be something that costs less. Did the number of teachers change at all since 07-08 when there were another 111 students?

All that said, I think the budget increase of 2% is reasonable with the choices that were made. I hope everyone comes out to vote (May 28th) and also to get more informed (May 21st) about the budget prior to the vote. I second Henry about the absentee. If you don't have time, have an absentee mailed.
: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
: