Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 06:27:41 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  School Budget Voted Down By 1 Vote
« previous next »
: [1] 2 3
: School Budget Voted Down By 1 Vote  ( 25552 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : April 10, 2014, 07:15:50 PM »

By a vote of 287 No and 286 Yes, the school budget was voted down today.

I bet a few people wish they had gone and voted.

Henry Raymond
nhibbard
: 393

« #1 : April 10, 2014, 07:30:51 PM »

So where was that extra support that was talked about at the last school budget meeting. Maybe this time they will assume we wanted the original budget and these cuts were too much. Or maybe sanity will prevail and they'll look at actual reductions.
RidgeRunner
: 73

« #2 : April 10, 2014, 09:09:08 PM »

They can't, a contract was signed and it can't be changed without renegotiation, the only option  the board has is to reduce staff.
ohhman
: 469

« #3 : April 10, 2014, 09:23:26 PM »

Then maybe that is where they need to cut rather than take from the students.  Does seem off when student numbers are less but staff is up, according to an article in the messenger this week by a Fairfax resident.
RidgeRunner
: 73

« #4 : April 10, 2014, 11:28:19 PM »

So what program gets cut?  Math, English, arts, science, music what dont we want in iur school?
nhibbard

« #5 : April 11, 2014, 04:20:24 AM »

Cut the new admin position. Cut iPads. Tell us what other initiatives the have that can be reduced. Then make sure there is real change in the next contract. They need to put real numbers to each program and then we can talk about what we suggest. Everything is lumped now so unless you made the budget you can't suggest much unless you know a program that has too much overhead.
Stand Alone Defense
: 771

« #6 : April 11, 2014, 07:26:42 AM »

This is horrible, not that the budget got voted down. The horrible part is the fact that we as a town are maxed out. We cannot afford more taxes. I believe that we are the last community that wanted to vote a school budget down but in reality we have to.  Folks we just don't have the money. Please I beg the School board to come up with smart, creative, decent decisions that do not include just threatening our children. Go to the union and ask for pay freezes like we all have had. Look at smart ways to get things done. I ask all to not go down the negative us vs them attitude and lets come up with smart resolutions to this probelm that the state obviously wont fix.

YES!! Well put!! I find it funny that they always threaten to take from the students when cuts are needed....never from the administration side.   

A veteran is someone who, at one
point in his life, wrote a blank check
made payable to 'The United States of
America ' for an amount of 'up to and including My life.'
Rev. Elizabeth
: 1286

« #7 : April 11, 2014, 07:35:33 AM »

What is sad is that 287 voted no, and 286 voted yes and that gives us a grand total of 573 voters, essentially equally divided between yay and nay. There is strong support for neither side of the issue.  Only 573 people took the time to vote. Think about that.  People risked their lives, literally, to vote in Afghanistan this past weekend, and despite being given another chance to get out and vote, the total number of voters is lower ( if my memory serves me well) than the first vote. I don't really know how to think about this. It is discouraging to say the least.
trussell
: 870

« #8 : April 11, 2014, 08:04:58 AM »

Yes, less than 600 voters voiced their opinion.  And I think I can fairly say that many people simply don't have a stong opinion either way and/or just don't care enough to vote.  I'm glad I did and would like to urge everyone to express their concerns and WHY they voted the way they did to the school board.  Not on the forum, not on Facebook, but write a letter to the board or attend a meeting.  If you want change, complaining about it isn't going to do any good (I'm not targeting anyone, that's just a general statement).  Don't keep rehashing the problem, come up and present a solution.

Thanks and enjoy this sunny day!

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson
nhibbard

« #9 : April 11, 2014, 11:07:31 AM »

I agree Trevor. We need to know what programs cost and what they do.
rod anode
: 1141

meathead,: dead from the neck up!

« #10 : April 11, 2014, 01:02:25 PM »

boy am I glad I voted
logical
: 141

« #11 : April 14, 2014, 07:04:07 AM »

I've seen a lot of comments indicating we should cut the iPads.  Although I agree that they should not be utilized as the main form of instruction, I also believe they should not be cut.  From a learning aspect they are a great tool (yes, tool.  not to replace instruction from teachers).  The basics should still be taught first - reading, writing, math.  Additionally, I suspect if you break down from a budget aspect you will see that it doesn't really save our taxpayers a lot (if any) $$ in the long run.  Without the iPads the school would have to go back to purchasing text books (sometimes updating them on annual basis), as well as paper, workbooks, etc. 

It seems like the passing of our school budget is contingent upon renogiating the teachers contracts.  I realize that would not be easy or maybe not even possible.  However, just wondering has that option even been considered?
nhibbard

« #12 : April 14, 2014, 08:27:42 AM »

iPads were never a book replacement. The never will be. Even colleges have evaluated that. So the money saved would not be costing more directly as stated.  Salaries haven't been discussed as a contingency. It was made clear those were not an issue. That means they need to cut elsewhere. That means almost ipads and such. It also means the contracts being negotiated need to be more realistic.
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #13 : April 14, 2014, 08:32:19 AM »

It is funny that they say it was made clear it is not an issue on salaries and that is what appears to be the #1 complaint on the the forum.

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
Chris Santee
: 2653

« #14 : April 14, 2014, 08:45:18 AM »

At the request of a Fairfax voter,
the Fairfax Board of Civil Authority will meet at 6:00pm Monday (tonight) to re-count the School Budget vote.

School Board meets at 6:30pm in the Library.

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
: