Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:51:27 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Trash Savings Estimate 2014
« previous next »
: 1 [2] 3
: Trash Savings Estimate 2014  ( 25115 )
ohhman
: 469

« #15 : January 22, 2014, 03:36:51 PM »

So that figure looks very good EXCEPT for the fact, using your formula, 1st 2 weeks x 2 = 4 weeks x 12 = 48 weeks & last time I checked we had 52 weeks of the year so we need to ADD 4 more weeks on to our ESTIMATED savings & yes it still looks good but at the end we will know our true savings .....  just saying
David Shea
: 471

« #16 : January 22, 2014, 03:57:50 PM »

Yes, you are right, thanks for catching my error, I have made the correction.
« : January 22, 2014, 04:01:11 PM David Shea »
ohhman

« #17 : January 23, 2014, 06:32:42 AM »

Once again trash on Hunt St.,  (that always was gone by 9am Wed.),  not picked up;  this cost savings may not be as great as what we are being told.  Right now it's not a big deal to leave it out overnight, but wait til this deep freeze goes away & all the night critters start ripping it apart; oh man what a mess it will be! 
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #18 : January 23, 2014, 06:45:54 AM »

Be thankful your garbage gets picked up in these temperatures.  I so do not envy these guys in the temperatures they worked in yesterday and today. 

My sister's garbage doesn't get picked up when it is this cold...they don't work, so again Thankful for what they endure!

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
nhibbard
: 393

« #19 : January 23, 2014, 11:00:57 AM »

School street was missed too. Peggy even honked at one of the guys and he never came back. Why don't they go to 3 days? I'd give the benefit of the doubt until now. I worked outside awhile ago and you layer up. A job is a job. We don't have to be thankful if we are paying for it. The made a promise and temp does not prevent working.
mkr
Administrator

« #20 : January 23, 2014, 12:58:20 PM »

They had issues yesterday so that is why the delay. 

Don't have to be thankful, no I guess you are right; I guess I appreciate those who were stuck in working this really cold winter this year.. as we sit inside typing on our keyboards....

Was it -25 below the days you were working Nick?  Did you start 6am and get done at 6pm outside?
« : January 23, 2014, 01:00:56 PM mkr »

mkr
Administrator

« #21 : January 23, 2014, 01:27:04 PM »

Nick your trash should be gone.  They are even doing a second sweep to verify school street for you...

mmatthews
: 15

« #22 : January 23, 2014, 03:55:59 PM »

I'm glad you are thankful for them coming to get our trash on cold days.  A little gratitude will go a long way in any situation, however I think you are missing Nick's point.  I'm sure in your sisters case there is a clause in their contract that says if the temperatures fall below a certain level they will not pick up the trash so that is acceptable.  In our case it appears as though that was not a part of the contract.  The point that Nick was trying to make is that with any company that you sign a contract with, you expect them to fullfill the terms of the contract just as they expect to recieve payment for services.  No one said they had to work from 6am to 6pm.  I am wondering why this is occuring when Cassella's was able to complete their obligations quickly with minimal error.  I know that they are new to this contract, and errors will be made.  I am grateful that this transition is occuring during the cold months so that hopefully they can get all the issues worked out before warmer temperatures come bringing hungry critters looking for snacks.  While I enjoy saving money just as much as the next person, rest assured that the first time my trash is torn apart on my front lawn I will be sitting in on the next selectboard meeting as well as calling Duffy's to voice my displeasure.  I am hoping that the selectboard and Duffy's will work together and troubleshoot issues so that this can all be taken care of before that happens. 
rod anode
: 1141

meathead,: dead from the neck up!

« #23 : January 23, 2014, 04:39:29 PM »

Josh Langelier,
Can you please email me the information regarding the location and out of town individuals that are disposing of their trash in Fairfax.
David Shea
fairfax.selectman@gmail.com

Yeah, I'm not trying to be negative but I have gotten many estimates that ended up being low before.  No offense to Duffy's what so ever, I really do hope they are right on and that they succeed!! But them having no experience doing trash pickup for a town before, kind of rattles my confidence in the accuracy of their estimate (labor cost wise).  Not to mention we really don't know how much trash we even produce...... I am betting the figure 2000 tons is either a rough estimate by Casella or they just rounded the number off.  If they rounded up because it's around 1800 tons, hey that is good news for us!! If they rounded down because it was 2200 tons, then that is not good for us....there is around a $40,000 fluctuation between the 2.  Might want to get the Constable or Sheriff over to the spots where Fletcher residents dump their trash too, that's not gonna help us $$$$ wise lol.  

Hey when it comes down to it you never know if you don't try I guess.
rod anode

« #24 : January 23, 2014, 04:41:11 PM »

I forgot to addd my 2 cents :]...I find in front of the town garage or the town clerks office is the best place to leave it .LOL
nhibbard
: 393

« #25 : January 23, 2014, 06:36:51 PM »

The switch in vendors was a business decision. It was based on a contractor saying they could deliver comparable service at a better rate. It has nothing to do with anything else. That is what my comments are based on. I fully supported Duffy's at the meeting when the Selectboard chose to switch. But there has been little to no communication when delays occur from the vendor, but rather on here from residents. The vendor told us when to put out trash and when it would be picked up.

I'm no more sympathetic to the arguments about the cold than I was to people who didn't want to change the vendor because of the service that was delivered. Duffy's wanted our Town business on merit of the promise they provide, a service for a price. The first few weeks could be attributed to learning routes, but after that, they should have equipment and staff in place. If they cannot make stops, they should be working to collect customer contact information and letting us know what to do. That is superior customer service.

My suggestion would be for them to amend the contract to 3 days of service and make the routes shorter. Then when they can handle the routes, compress back to two days. But our trash sitting outside for more than 24 hours without notice or contact is unreasonable. What if it had snowed and DJ hit trash containers while plowing? I want them to succeed as a vendor, but I want them to provide a level of service that was expected when the new contract was signed. If that means minor adjustments to what day I leave my trash out, that is acceptable. Them telling me what to do and my compliance only to see my trash there the next day with no contact, bad service.
Razzle Dazzle

« #26 : January 25, 2014, 11:07:34 AM »

I used a little common sense this past week.
I thought about the extreme cold along with the jelling of deisel tanks I heard about and figured Duffy's wasn't exempt from the same issues.
I then had the same concerns others have expressed about leaving garbage out over night, and became proactive and took appropriate actions to properly dispose of it myself.
I feel confident these hick-ups will go away and most of us will be satisfied with the out come.
« : January 25, 2014, 11:09:16 AM Raz »
rod anode

« #27 : January 25, 2014, 11:55:10 AM »

the town should just have a big dumpster and bring your trash to it then when its full they bring empty one and take full one that way you can take your trash when you want to
Razzle Dazzle

« #28 : January 25, 2014, 12:24:38 PM »

the town should just have a big dumpster and bring your trash to it then when its full they bring empty one and take full one that way you can take your trash when you want to

That would be a cool option?
ohhman

« #29 : January 25, 2014, 02:04:00 PM »

sure rod, so we could pay for any/everyone's trash?!  nhibbard, very well said!
: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
: