Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:33:54 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Political Issues/Comments
| | |-+  Sanders Slams Secret Surveillance
« previous next »
: [1]
: Sanders Slams Secret Surveillance  ( 3436 )
Chris Santee
: 2653

« : June 06, 2013, 02:39:56 PM »

Sanders Slams Secret Surveillance
WASHINGTON, June 6 – Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) today criticized a secret domestic surveillance program that swept up millions of telephone records on calls by Americans who were not suspected of any wrongdoing.

A court order demanding the records be turned over was obtained under a controversial interpretation of a provision in the so-called Patriot Act, which Sanders voted against when it was first enacted in 2001 and when it was reauthorized in 2006 and 2011.

“As one of the few members of Congress who consistently voted against the Patriot Act, I expressed concern at the time of passage that it gave the government far too much power to spy on innocent United State citizens and provided for very little oversight or disclosure.  Unfortunately, what I said turned out to be exactly true.

“The United States should not be accumulating phone records on tens of millions of innocent Americans. That is not what democracy is about. That is not what freedom is about. Congress must address this issue and protect the constitutional rights of the American people,” Sanders added.

“While we must aggressively pursue international terrorists and all of those who would do us harm, we must do it in a way that protects the Constitution and the civil liberties which make us proud to be Americans,” Sanders said.

The Obama administration did not dispute a report, first published yesterday by the Guardian, that a classified court order required Verizon to turn over massive phone records to the National Security Agency.

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
Chris Santee
: 2653

« #1 : June 07, 2013, 05:54:31 AM »

Congressman Peter Welch
United States House of Representatives

Welch Denounces Seizure of Phone Records
Washington, DC. (June 6th, 2013)- After recent reports that the government has been seizing millions of telephone records of US citizens from service providers, Rep. Welch made the following remarks:

“I cannot fathom a reason for the federal government to cast such a wide and indiscriminate net in the name of national security.  This confirms the worst fears of those of us who oppose the Patriot Act.   While all the facts have yet to emerge, it appears that the very institutions that were set up to check government surveillance activities are acting as a rubber stamp.   It is possible to protect Americans from harm without trampling their civil liberties.  Unchecked and intrusive searches like this fail that test.”

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
nhibbard
: 393

« #2 : October 30, 2013, 04:28:54 AM »

They were so upset that they have done nothing to date but possibly jump on someone else's proposal while email providers are being forced to give the FBI blanket access to their servers. Federal government vs LavaBit.
: [1]  
« previous next »
: