Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:43:16 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Political Issues/Comments
| | |-+  Message From John Mitchell
« previous next »
: [1]
: Message From John Mitchell  ( 7935 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : May 06, 2013, 07:13:16 AM »

Good morning Henry
  I tried to post an attachment in political comments but can't seem to get it.  Would you please pst the attched.  thanks  John M 

In order to finish the session on time, which is supposed to be May 11, the House spent most of the week in the chamber debating bills.  We spent hours debating funding for pre-kindergarten education H.270.  Although I am in favor of early education, with all the financial pressures this is not the time to add to that burden and I voted NO.  The bill did pass the House.

The House spent an equal amount of time (until 11:30 Tuesday night) debating “end of life choices”.  Unfortunately I was not there for much of that debate since my mother-in-law, Bev Taylor, passed away and I was with my family.  The bill passed and I would have voted no since I thought the bill was too technical and interfered with doctor-patient relationship to a great extent.

I have voted no on ALL tax increase bills and firmly believe that if we had level funded government this year there would have been no need whatsoever for increased revenues (taxes).  For once I agree with Gov. Shumlin in his comments last week: Now is not the time to raise taxes on hard-working Vermonters.  Lawmakers this session have voted to raise taxes on Vermonters’ income, clothing, meals, vending machine purchases, water, soft drinks, candy, satellite TV, and cigarettes.  It was hard enough to ask folks to pay more at the pump to maintain our roads and safeguard $56million in federal funds.  I feel strongly there is no need to raise these additional taxes to close a budget gap of less than 1%.  Vermonters expect  us to control spending by using existing tax dollars more efficiently.  I completely agree with this statement.

The Health Care Committee has spent the past several weeks in an attempt to have assurances the “health insurance exchange” is on track for October 1 and in reviewing insurance rates, cost sharing and subsidies for premiums.  This fall/winter will be interesting as Obama Care unfolds and Vermont looks to 2017 for its’ single payer system.  I have many questions and doubts about single payer, but will have to wait for the Affordable Care Act to take effect.

If you have questions or comments feel free to contact me as many of you have.  802-735-3900 cell mitchelljohn694@gmail.com or jmitchell@leg.state.vt.us.   

Rep. John Mitchell

Henry Raymond
nhibbard
: 393

« #1 : May 09, 2013, 09:14:43 PM »

I just read through some of John's sponsored bills and would note that over half are thanking or congratulating persons or organizations..Couldn't that just be done by phone in a quick call. The other bills seem to have quirks but are a step toward saving money and protecting people. The two I'm confused on are the crazily confounding marijuana bill about fines that is hard to tell what it practically does and the residency bill that seems like more paperwork pushing to prevent fraud than practical use of resources.

To prevent those who don't live in Vermont from getting State and Federal funds in Vermont, why not actually add wording about visiting the residence rather than showing a bunch of papers. If you're committing fraud, you're already ok with perjury. Just my two cents. Well maybe one cent.

John, I do appreciate your bills and why you voted no where you did. It's hard to make cuts and hold the line. My comments are only to point out that saying thank you the old fashioned way should suffice and making bills understandable and practical would help us non legal beagles.
slpott
: 457

« #2 : May 10, 2013, 06:09:29 AM »

I think people have a right to do things the way they do things without being judged. If you want it done a certain way than I recommend you do it yourself. I am sure John would love a secretary that would do this all for him. hee hee
nhibbard
: 393

« #3 : May 10, 2013, 03:50:17 PM »

you do realize I can't do it right? John is a representative so if I want it done I have to ask him. If I do t agree with him I need to let him know. thanks for misunderstanding the whole purpose of elected leadership.
slpott
: 457

« #4 : May 10, 2013, 04:12:30 PM »

No misunderstanding on this end. Just saying.
woodstoves2
: 46

« #5 : May 10, 2013, 11:04:12 PM »

How come "Nay" on GMO labelling? 
johnmitchell
: 62

« #6 : May 11, 2013, 07:31:48 AM »

My reason for a no vote on H.112, GMO labeling is that the AG and others have indicated this legislation will most certainly bring litigation.  The cost of which will be in the range of $6 million to $10 million.  Vermonters can ill afford another law suit of this magnitude.  There are 20 other states considering similar legislation and I thought it prudent to let another take the lead for a change and Vermont could follow after the litigation has cleared.  I am very much in favor of the premise of H..112, just not willing to spend our tax dollars to defend at this time.  This bill will go to the Senate for action next year.  Hope this clarifies my position.
On another note we are in session Monday and should finish Tuesday.  It is a little crazy there this time of year.    John Mitchell
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #7 : May 15, 2013, 12:59:47 PM »

Thanks John so much for explaining your position to everyone.  I am definitely in favor of requiring the GMO labelling as well, but our little state cannot afford that amount of money to fight; that we agree upon for sure as well. 

I am hoping that if it does pass, and we do have litigation, that maybe we can join forces with the other 20 states if they pass it as well to fight back. Do we know if that is a possibility?  ~Mary Kay 

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
: [1]  
« previous next »
: