Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 02:07:23 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  No Burn Permits will be issued
« previous next »
: [1] 2
: No Burn Permits will be issued  ( 12984 )
Fireman David
: 41

« : April 30, 2013, 01:22:58 PM »

Another burn ban has been put in place.
Due to the weather conditions, the dry grass and leaves are very easy to ignite.
We have recently had several brush fires, that have burned several acres each.
At this point Fairfax Fire Warden Duane Leach has put a temporary hold on all burn permits.
The tentative date for this ban being lifted is May 12th, this will be dependent on weather conditions between now and that time.

Thank you for your cooperation in this mater.
Chris Santee
: 2653

« #1 : May 03, 2013, 11:38:06 AM »

Thanks, Dave, here's more from Mark Bosma:

Press Release
Vermont Department of Forests, Parks & Recreation
Vermont Division of Fire Safety
VT Division of Emergency Management and Homeland Security
May 3, 2013

Contacts:
Lars Lund, Vermont Dept. FP&R: 802-786-3856
Michael Greenia, Vermont Division of Fire Safety: 802-479-7587
National Weather Service, Burlington: 802-862-8711

Wildfire danger elevated – take precautions to prevent fires

MONTPELIER, VT – Dry and breezy conditions across Vermont are expected to continue into this weekend which will continue to bring high risks of wildfires in Vermont.  In windy conditions fires that do occur could spread very rapidly and become unmanageable.  Local fire departments throughout the state have responded to several wildfires already this season.

State officials and local fire departments remind Vermonters that the increased potential for wildfires necessitates certain precautions by all.  In general, debris burning is the leading cause of wild land fires in Vermont. These fires cause property damage; lost natural resources; and like all fires, can result in a loss of life.  Most people never intend to start a wildfire and can avoid this by choosing a day to burn when fire danger is low – and such days are NOT in the immediate forecast.  Persistent dry and windy weather in the state has made grass, brush and leaves susceptible to uncontrolled fires, but common sense and caution by all Vermonters can prevent wildfires.

Vermonters can help prevent and prepare for wildfire:

Obey all local and state laws or restrictions on open burning.
By state law, a “Permit to Kindle Fire” (an open burning permit) MUST be obtained from the Town Forest Fire Warden and is REQUIRED before you start to burn any natural wood or vegetation outdoors. The fire warden will issue a permit if the weather and fuel conditions are favorable for a controlled burn.
Avoid burning on dry, windy days or when Fire Weather Watches or Red Flag Warnings are issued by the National Weather Service.
If you can legally and safely burn:  Burn small piles; gradually adding to the fire as it burns down.  Large piles of burning debris generate intense heat capable of carrying burning embers up and into other areas.
Clear all dry grass and weeds from around your burn area, and around your home and out-buildings.
Always have tools handy while you burn - including water, a hose, a rake and a shovel.
If burning a large agricultural area, please check with your local fire department for advice about burning it safely.
CALL 911 or your local fire department if your burn gets out of control and becomes a wildfire. If you delay calling for help, you may have disastrous results.
DO NOT attempt to suppress a wildfire, if it cannot be done EASILY with the tools and water you have on hand.
DO NOT burn household trash. The use of burn barrels is illegal in Vermont.

Additional Information links

Vermont Agency of Natural Resources - Department of Forests, Parks & Recreation - Forest Fire Control Page: http://www.vtfpr.org/protection/for_protect_firecont.cfm

Vermont division of fire safety Seasonal safety page: http://firesafety.vermont.gov/safety_issues/SEASONAL

National Weather Service - Burlington, Vermont Fire Weather Page: http://www.erh.noaa.gov/btv/html/firewx/

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
Judi
: 508

« #2 : May 05, 2013, 09:00:56 AM »

There has been open burning almost every night at the fishing spot on River Rd or in the land owners yard. So much for a burn ban!
Trekr
: 140

« #3 : May 05, 2013, 05:55:38 PM »

Is there a fine that backs up the burn ban?
ohhman
: 469

« #4 : May 06, 2013, 07:19:58 AM »

So I guess this doesn't include bonfires as last night we saw 2 burning brightly going through town on 104
mrome
: 37

« #5 : May 06, 2013, 07:31:17 AM »

I have not used it yet this year, but I thought a fire within a fire ring was permitted without a permit and that a permit was only needed for an open fire. Maybe this could be clarified. If my understanding is incorrect, then there are MANY people who do not realize they are doing anything wrong. 
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #6 : May 06, 2013, 08:12:59 AM »

I am pretty sure bonfires are included in the BAN and you need a permit for those as well I thought. When my friend has a fire she always calls.

It is so dry that a bonfire can spark a big fire real quick. If you are concerned about a bonfire, you should call 911 and I believe the fire department will go out there and put a stop to it.

I know of one bonfire in town that did spread already.

Plenty of time to enjoy the fires once we get some rain.

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
Travis
: 141

« #7 : May 06, 2013, 08:39:38 AM »

If backyard bonfires are considered campfires, which they should be, then no permit is required. From the Vermont Division of Forestry website:

http://www.vtfpr.org/protection/burnper.cfm

CAMPFIRES

A person is not required to have a permit for a campfire (any fire for cooking or warming) on their own land.

A person is required to have permission for a campfire on lands of another between April 1 and November 1 and such permission can be obtained only from the owner of the land.
« : May 06, 2013, 08:43:17 AM Travis »
HayesFXFD17
: 125

« #8 : May 06, 2013, 09:24:29 AM »

There is a large difference between a bonfire and campfire.  Traditionally campfires are 36 inches in diameter or less and used for cooking purposes where as a bonfire fire definition could be much larger and generally associated with a celebratory type situation.  It it also important to note that during this burn ban that "campfires" are still allowed and no-permits are required.  With that said if the fire department is called and the fire is over 36" we will extinguish and notify the town fire warden as it would be considered a permit required burn.

Under the municipal ordinance Article III, a civil penalty of $500 may be imposed for each single violation.  The fire department will enforce the rules of this ordinance in the form of revocation of a permit and extinguishment of illegal burns (any deviation from the ordinance).  Any citations would come from the Selectboard, Health Officer, Constable or Fire Warden as they are the listed "enforcement officers" under Article IV. 

Once the burn ban is lifted permits can be obtained from Duane Leach 849-6174 or by calling the daytime fire officer at the station M-F 8-4, 849-6075.

Thank You

Justin Hayes, CFI
Fire Chief

Travis

« #9 : May 06, 2013, 10:29:02 AM »

Thank you for the clarification Justin. I'm sure that most of the "bonfires" reported in this thread are actually "campfires" by the traditional definition and only a handful could be classified as larger. I do know that my backyard fire pit is smaller than 36".
« : May 06, 2013, 11:13:38 AM Travis »
ohhman
: 469

« #10 : May 06, 2013, 12:11:17 PM »

Well the 2 we saw last night were large bonfires by Justin's clarification!!  Thanks Justin as we love to use the small round firepit we have  at the end of our day but we haven't used it as it's so dry.
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #11 : May 06, 2013, 12:40:14 PM »

Agreed 3Plusk, I have seen two Bonfires and not campfires at all :-)  Thanks Justin in giving the 36" rule, this is good to know!  P.S. When my friend has a fire and gets permission it is definitely higher than 36" for a lot of the time so glad they make the call when they do.

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
Travis

« #12 : May 06, 2013, 01:18:48 PM »

Is it 36" high or wide? If it is diameter as Justin posted, I am fine. If it is 36" high, then I'd have a problem because I usually have the wood about 2 feet high to start. Well, not really a problem because I haven't fired up the fire pit yet this year and have no immediate plans to anyway.
7F24
: 253

« #13 : May 06, 2013, 09:46:25 PM »

Wide.
Travis

« #14 : May 07, 2013, 07:18:04 AM »

Thank you. I measured my fire pit last night, and it looks like I can expand it. :)
: [1] 2  
« previous next »
: