Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:02:58 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Political Issues/Comments
| | |-+  Stop the union from trying to take over childcare in Vermont
« previous next »
: [1] 2 3 4
: Stop the union from trying to take over childcare in Vermont  ( 40435 )
tfence
: 257

« : January 30, 2013, 07:38:29 AM »

We need to stop this for it will increase the cost of childcare beyond affortability. This type of union has nothing to offer us. We already have all the resorces that they claim to be able to get us. They just come with a very large cost that will be passed onto working parents and tax payers.

Senator Don Collins has requested a open forum for Franklin County residents to discuss views on childcare provider unionization. Open forum means he wants representation on both sides. In other words, every body on our side counts! This includes parents in your program, neighbors, family members, your husband (wife), anyone who is a Franklin County resident.

When: February 11th at 6:30
 Where: Highgate Elementary School Library

We are here for all your Outdoor Living Needs.
visit us at http://feerickfence.com/
also check us out on facebook
ohhman
: 469

« #1 : January 30, 2013, 01:08:25 PM »

I also am very against a union for childcare workers; we stand to gain nothing.  For registered providers it means any voice that we have now, being able to call & personally voice our concerns will be gone as it will have to go through a union rep.  Even if we chose not to be part of a union, we will have to pay them a dues & have even lesser voice as we will not be part of them.  The only ones to gain are those caring for children whose parents receive a subsidy from the state as that rate will be increased for them- that's one big promise the union has vowed - to increase wages.  But those not receiving subsidy get nothing, except for all, an increase possibly in your taxes & your private childcare rate as providers will have to pay dues.  Our Governor has already proposed a 17 million increase to the subsidy program, taken from other areas of funding; so it's easy to see he is for the union.  Please, I urge all people to CALL /E-MAIL, WRITE your legislators, your senators & tell them a union is not needed for childcare workers, even if you can't be at this forum, please let your voice be heard,; it does matter!
tfence

« #2 : January 30, 2013, 01:28:16 PM »

I think it is ironic that the union and the $17 million are coming down the road together. It sounds like the union wants a good piece of that money. They try to add costs on the childcare industry at the same time they increase subsidy money. Lets do the math. What is raised goes to the union. If the $17 million plan does not pass and the union does. Those dues, fees, ect from the union will be charged to the childcare owners. Business 101 states that added costs will be passed down to the consumer.  In this case the working middle class parents. Unions are beneficial to many industries, I agree. The childcare industry can't afford it. 

nhibbard
: 393

« #3 : January 30, 2013, 07:42:33 PM »

I don't see what a union would do. If it's economics, why wouldn't the childcare providers form groups that are sensible to cover benefits and other overhead that might be an issue. I'd be interested to see a group get together and discuss their business models and learn from each other. Union is just admin overhead.
Family of 5
: 26

« #4 : January 31, 2013, 07:57:50 PM »

This is alarming.  The link to the proposed legislation is here: http://leg.state.vt.us/docs/2012/bills/Intro/H-097.pdf  Pay special attention to Section 7604, Page 7 (virtually taking away the rights of owners to set the wages/benefits and rates at their own childcare centers). 

Tom, thank you for posting and bringing this to our attention.  Good luck at the forum.
nhibbard

« #5 : January 31, 2013, 08:20:44 PM »

Doesn't this just mean if you join you agree to collective bargaining? You don't have to join, just make sure you know what you're joining.
tfence

« #6 : January 31, 2013, 08:27:24 PM »

Thank you Family of 5.
We need a lot of help from the public at this forum. The union has very deep pockets from all their collections from the other states they have roped in. They are paying reps, tv commercials, lobbyists. All we have is our senators. We need everyone in Franklin county to call or email senator collins and let him know you are against childcare unionizing.    
   dcollins@leg.state.vt.us
 @Nhibbard. Whether we join or not we have to pay a "fair share fee" (as they call it) to the union and we will loose our voice as independents. It will be their way whether we join or not and we will have to pay dues as well.
« : January 31, 2013, 08:33:20 PM tfence »

ohhman
: 469

« #7 : February 04, 2013, 01:02:31 PM »

Along with Sen Collins our other Franklin Cty senator is Norm McAllister & PLEASE send e-mails, letters, phone calls to him also!!    nmcallister@leg.state.vt.usWe really need to be heard LOUD & CLEAR : NO UNION  FOR CHILDCARE WORKERS.   The forum, or "HEARING" as Sen. Collins stated on my answering machine is for both sides to speak as to what they feel is best.  Last year we had one of these meetings with former Sen. Kittell, & though she did NOT have many facts on the issue of a union for childcare, she stated she would vote for one because of (years ago) past personal positive experience with a union during her nursing career~ SO MUCH DIFFERENT than what we are talking of for childcare!!  And at that meeting there were some from the Richford/Highgate are who were on board with the union, so PLEASE, call, email, write your senators to say no union.  The union has promised better wages, working conditions, etc., & I ask you to use your common sense as to HOW they can do that??  I am paid independently by my families in my daycare,  I set the rules/rates/guidelines for them & they willingly agree to these terms when we enter into contract just as I willingly agree to abide by the state guidelines for operating a registered daycare; certainly NO union could/would do better than what we do already.  What will happen is to be charged more for services as a union dues will be required REGARDLESS if one wants to join or not.
nhibbard

« #8 : February 04, 2013, 09:43:26 PM »

Who did the backers talk to other than unions? I wasn't aware you could force anyone generally across a profession to join a union. I'm aware of certain work places doing it but I bet it would be illegal in some way.
tfence

« #9 : February 05, 2013, 07:50:02 AM »

nhibbard, They can not force us to join the union. They are trying to get the bill passed that if they are allowed to unionize they can charge the non members a "fair share fee" which is equal to 85% of the union dues that members pay. Their reasoning is that with collective bargaining and the claims that we all will benefit from their lobbying. They feel it is fair to charge us. So as far as a larger childcare center with 10 employees. My staff will not like this and may leave the profession. My solution is to pay it for them and increase payment from the consumer (parents). Not much else I can do to keep them. As far as the increase the union is claiming they can get for subsidy. Shumlin is already doing that without the union. They have won this scam in 16 states already 6 of them have overturned it.   

nhibbard

« #10 : February 05, 2013, 11:36:43 AM »

That is not a "fare share" if you did not ask for them to work on your behalf. I get plenty of benefits in life from the work of others. Plenty of lawsuits are filed that affect me but I didn't have to pay a dime. This makes no sense. If people want to work as a group to get better wages for their profession, fine, but don't complain when everyone gets that benefit. There are thousands of small organizations working everyday to benefit society and seek donations. Why don't they seek funds by that route.
rod anode
: 1141

meathead,: dead from the neck up!

« #11 : February 05, 2013, 04:41:20 PM »

why dont they ask shummy for the funds ?everyone else seems to get in
tfence

« #12 : February 05, 2013, 04:42:16 PM »

In one state that has over 11,000 childcares. 4500 of them are union. the 4500 pay full union dues and the other 6500 daycares that do not want anything to do with the union has to pay about $690.00 each per year in "fair share fees". It will be legal here if our senators allow it. We need all the help we can. Write/call your senators.

tfence

« #13 : February 11, 2013, 07:50:39 AM »

Today is the day:

Senator Don Collins has requested a open forum for Franklin County residents to discuss views on childcare provider unionization. Open forum means he wants representation on both sides. In other words, every body on our side counts! This includes parents in your program, neighbors, family members, your husband (wife), anyone who is a Franklin County resident.

When: February 11th at 6:30
 Where: Highgate Elementary School Library

fletchtb
: 310

« #14 : February 11, 2013, 09:45:17 AM »

I will be there representing the anti-union perspective and will try and convince State Senator Don Collins that we don't need the legislature to establish a union for childcare workers in the state. A union will not improve childcare in Vermont and will only make the cost of care go up in the state, which is exactly what parents don't need. The Govenror's proposed budget already allocates money for increased subsidy rates for which is something those behind this unionization effort have been asking for. Vermont is already the healthiest state in the country, and the legislature is working on ways to make healthcare more affordable for everyone. With the top 2 issues already being addressed in the legislature, there is absolutely no reason for a union to be formed. I hope I can convince our newly elected senator.

My wife and I have been on both sides of the fence regarding this topic. We have shelled out a significant portion of our annual income to send our two children to daycare so we could both work outside of the home and several years ago my wife left her job at a bank in Burlington to open up a registered daycare in our home. Neither of us believe a union would improve childcare in Vermont nor will it really improve working conditions for those in the industry.

Hope to see some of you in Highgate tonight!

Thanks,
Todd Baumeister
« : February 11, 2013, 10:01:20 AM fletchtb »
: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
: