Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 10:10:49 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Shumlin: Vermont Appeals FEMA Decision
« previous next »
: [1]
: Shumlin: Vermont Appeals FEMA Decision  ( 3711 )
Chris Santee
: 2653

« : December 19, 2012, 10:23:40 AM »

Gov. Shumlin: Vermont appeals FEMA decision to deny Public Assistance for culvert repair

MONTPELIER – Gov. Peter Shumlin today announced that the State of Vermont is appealing FEMA’s decision to deny public assistance for the full cost of replacing a culvert demolished during Tropical Storm Irene.  The original culvert, which was located under Dam Road in the Town of Townshend, was a steel, corrugated pipe that was washed downstream during the Irene flooding and was damaged beyond repair (photographs from a post-flood inspection, as well as the new structure, attached below).  Noting that many other Vermont towns have been denied FEMA reimbursement on similar grounds, the Governor said that the state would support the towns’ appeals to FEMA officials in Washington, D.C. 

Following the flood, Townshend replaced the culvert with an open arch concrete structure in accordance with state and federal permit requirements. The new structure is designed to withstand future flood events and, while more expensive to build than simply replacing the old steel pipe, will save public funds over the long-term. 

“We have to make smart choices with public funds, consistent with the law. In this case the Town of Townshend has done both,”  Gov. Shumlin said. “We are committed to rebuilding stronger post-Irene, and Vermont’s towns should not be denied FEMA reimbursement for meeting state infrastructure repair standards designed to withstand future storms.”

The appeal explains that the denial of public assistance for the installed structure by FEMA’s regional office in Boston violates both FEMA law and regulation. The State’s appeal also notes that FEMA’s regional officials are taking an unnecessarily stringent view of the law and are ignoring the fact that Townsend has chosen the least cost means of complying with state and federal standards.  The State further describes FEMA’s approach to sizing stream crossing structures as outmoded and without consideration of modern understanding of river dynamics.  The appeal concludes that the culvert replacement that FEMA favors would not comply with state or federal requirements, would jeopardize the natural and built environments, and would be a poor use of public funds. 

Sue Minter, Vermont’s Irene Recovery Officer, summarized Vermont’s concerns by noting that “we must not ignore the lessons of Irene, past flood events and predicted changes to weather patterns in Vermont to replace the old culvert with one that will just wash away in the next major flood event.  Vermonters expect frugality from their public officials, not resistance to modern standards for repairing our transportation assets.”

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
fletchtb
: 310

« #1 : December 19, 2012, 12:24:34 PM »

How much more time and money is the Shumlin administration going to waste chasing federal dollars we are never going to get?
rod anode
: 1141

meathead,: dead from the neck up!

« #2 : December 19, 2012, 12:36:00 PM »

2 words vermont yankee
nhibbard
: 393

« #3 : December 19, 2012, 01:03:42 PM »

That's what I'd like to know too. How much is being spent to move forward this challenge this and how much money would be needed to fix the problem? Is this something Towns should look at getting insurance for? I understand helping out and doing what we can as a nation, but with the amount of claims that FEMA has seen in the last few years, should we be putting money together at a State and Local level to plan for these disasters?
Thor

« #4 : December 19, 2012, 01:17:47 PM »

It is not the federal governments responsibility to fix everything. That is what has gotten us in the position we are in. Ronald Reagan said it best..... “The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.”

Fletchtb and nhibbard are on the mark.... Shumlin should quit wasting his time and our money. But being that he is one of those believers of BIG Gov't taking care of everything and everyone, regardless of the fact that we cannot afford it, he will pursue this at our cost.
mirjo
: 785

« #5 : December 19, 2012, 04:49:04 PM »

I agree in part with what you are saying, but I think you're missing a piece of the bigger picture. FEMA is a program designed specifically to help with such things, as I know you know. The concept of federal disaster aid is one that began in the early 1800s and evolved in numerous forms through two centuries until the early 1970s when the federal disaster relief and recovery was brought into HUD and in the late 70s became it's own entity, for the past 10 years, FEMA has been part of Dept. of Homeland Security. I'm saying all of this because these things always seem very partisan, which is sad.  And also to point out that it's not simply a democratic undertaking for "Big Government" and while arguments can be made regarding that in other circumstances, it would seem politics has no place when disasters strike and things need to be rebuilt.

Many other states see  a lot of disasters and are often helped. Vermont hasn't called on FEMA for hurricane disaster relief, ever that I'm aware of and it doesn't seem unreasonable that this state should receive FEMA funding to rebuild necessary infrastructure--is it really fair to say that Gov. Shumlin is simply a believer in Big Gov't taking care of everything? I don't think so, because I don't think that's the motive here. It's easy to shoot down every decision when you don't like/agree with someone's politics. So, I'll ask, would/do you feel the same way about Gov. Christie wanting funds to rebuild in his state? He's a popular no-nonsense Republican, who has found himself in a precarious position. If your opinion regarding FEMA is different in that situation than for Vermont, then I would want to understand why that is.

If the world gives you melons, you might be dyslexic
: [1]  
« previous next »
: