Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:09:23 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Remembering Win Way
« previous next »
: [1]
: Remembering Win Way  ( 2616 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : January 29, 2013, 09:07:23 AM »

As I was reading the obituaries on line in The Burlington Free Press this morning ran across a name that was quite familiar to me.  Win Way, Vermont Extension Agronomist who taught Gardening Courses way back in my early years at IBM when I first started to Garden.  He was a great teacher and even though it was at least 50 years ago when I took some of his courses I still remember some of his pointers.  I don't believe that Organic Gardening was as big a thing back then, but I remember in one of his classes he was talking about Organic Gardening and I remember him telling the class, "When it comes to Organic Gardening, I am a bit of a sinner and not only am I tempted to use commercial fertilizer, I do.  A little 5-10-10 or 10-10-10 or Super Phosphate won't hurt your garden one bit, in fact it might help it out quite a bit, just the same as bug and insect sprays.  I found him a very down to earth instructor.  Don't know if the Vermont Extension Service is as helpful today as it was in the old days, but I remember going down to St. Albans, where the Old Post Office used to be and seening Ben Young's daughter Barbara who was also working for the Vermont Extension Service at that time and getting a soil test kit to test my garden soil.  I am sure I also asked her a few questions also.  Another individual from here in town that I contacted was Sam Hudson, who worked in the Forestery Department when I planted my Blue Spruce.

I tried to find some old photos of Win Way who died at the age of 89, but was unable to find any.  For you Old Timers who used to watch "Across The Fence", I am sure you must remember him.  Interesting how we remember instructors who impressed us in years past.

I have pasted Win's Obituary below, for those of you that might have a vague recollection of him:

WINSTON ARTHUR WAY

NORTH HERO — Winston Arthur Way, 89, of North Hero, passed away Jan. 26, 2013, after a long illness.

He was born March 11, 1923, in Burlington, and grew up on the island of North Hero, where his family ran the Irving House — now the North Hero House. During his high school years, he commuted by train to Burlington and attended Burlington High School, where he graduated in 1940.

Win served in the Army during World War II and was stationed in China, Burma and India. This experience made a lasting impression on his life.

After returning home, he entered the Forestry Program at Syracuse University and received a B.S. degree in 1950. In 1951 he completed a masters degree in Agronomy at the University of Vermont and stayed on to become a teaching assistant.

Winston became the Extension Agronomist for Vermont in 1951, a position he enjoyed until his retirement 32 years later.

He is well-known locally for his television programs on WCAX’s “Across The Fence“. He also wrote numerous articles for magazines and publications and gave lectures to small towns throughout Vermont. Win loved his work and educating people. He was a member of the American Society of Agronomy and served on the Vermont Food Commission under Governor Salmon. As Vermont’s extension agronomist, he supported traditional and organic agriculture. He was constantly learning and sharing his knowledge of food production and environmental issues.

Winston retired to his family farm in North Hero, where his passion for gardening, writing and education continued. He always described himself as leading a “charmed and charming life“. Win and his wife, Jane, also ran Aqua Vista Cabins, where they welcomed many people from all over the world. Their home was always open and they made wonderful friends over the years.

Winston leaves his wife of 65 years, Jane (Ash) Way; a daughter, Linda Cantrell and her husband, Jim, of Westminster, Colo.; a son, Jon Way and wife, Chris, of Stow, Mass.; a son, Tom Way and wife, Aldona, of Winooski; a son, Kim Way and wife, Karen, of Dublin, Ohio; a cousin, Don Dodds and wife, Cheryl, of Barre; 11 grandchildren; and eight great-grandchildren.

The family wishes to express their gratitude and appreciation for the wonderful care Winston received at Fletcher Allen, including Dr. Steven Ades and staff at the Vermont Cancer Center, and also to the caring staff at Starr Farm Nursing Center.

A celebration of life will be held in North Hero at a future date.
« : January 29, 2013, 09:11:31 AM Henry »

Henry Raymond
: [1]  
« previous next »
: