Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:21:30 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  General
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  A Five Pound Bag Of Sugar Is Now Four Pounds
« previous next »
: [1]
: A Five Pound Bag Of Sugar Is Now Four Pounds  ( 4772 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : October 23, 2012, 08:09:57 AM »

Well, I don't know how long this has been going on, but bought some groceries yesterday so that I could start making my Peanut Butter Fudge - When I bought the sugar I noticed that my five pound bag of sugar was labelled four pounds.  This was the Hannaford Brand Essentials, so checked the Domino Brand and it was the same thing.  They had ten pound bags, so I bought one of those.  I make Maryann's Recipe for the fudge and it was very simple to dump a five pound bag in the pot to start off - Will have to see how many cups in four pounds and add enough to bring it up to five pounds.

Henry Raymond
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #1 : October 23, 2012, 08:16:11 AM »

Must be their way of keeping prices down is by giving you less.... Good thing you noticed before the fudge making!

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
trussell
: 870

« #2 : October 23, 2012, 08:23:38 AM »

Did you know that sugar actually costs twice as much as it needs to simply because of the import tariffs? These were put in place (in the early 80's I believe) to protect the few tiny US sugar producers (who had very good lobbyists).  It's estimated that 90% of the US sugar consumption come from outside the country... And because of the ~100% tax, many companies switched to corn syrup.

... So because of the sugar lobbyists, I got fat.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson
Judi
: 508

« #3 : October 23, 2012, 03:03:47 PM »

Will you share "the recipe" or is it a family secret?
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #4 : October 24, 2012, 01:00:56 PM »

Family secret ;-)

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
nhibbard
: 393

« #5 : October 29, 2012, 07:40:53 PM »

Trevor, is that why my Mt Dew is costing so much?
: [1]  
« previous next »
: