Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:29:56 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  General
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Old Time Cider Presses
« previous next »
: [1]
: Old Time Cider Presses  ( 2552 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : October 08, 2012, 07:26:04 PM »

Since it is Apple Time, was remembering back when I lived on Fairfield Ridge and we used to go up to the Capt Horn place which was up near Lapland.  There was an old orchard there with about 5 apple trees and a couple of butternut trees.  Dad used to pick a bunch of applesand put them in a horse drawn double wagon and bring them down to Henry Burnor's place where I believe Brown's store is as you are leaving the village headed towards East Fairfield.  Henry Burnor had a cider press there and we used to get enough cider to pretty much fill a wooden barrell.  Used to roll it through the hatchway and put it in the cellar.  Had a wooden spigot in it and we used to take a pitcher down cellar and fill it with cider.  Long about January, it got a little picky and turned into hard cider.  Remember Dad used to put maple syrup in it.

We were never allowed to drink very much of it, but the cellar kept it real cold and it tasted pretty good - Almost think that eventually it turned to cider vinegar, but won't vouch for that.

Now that I think of it, we never did wash those apples and I know for a fact we did not check for worms - Oh Well!!  we never got sick from drinking it.

Henry Raymond
Rev. Elizabeth
: 1286

« #1 : October 09, 2012, 06:35:34 AM »

A wonderful story, Henry.  I wish there were some old photos to go with it.  And those worms...they just added a little protein to your cider!
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #2 : October 09, 2012, 07:13:32 AM »

As a side note, Doug Webb's wife was Henry Burnor's daughter.  Some time when I am talking to Dick Howrigan, will have to ask him if he remembers more details of people getting their cider made down there at Henry Burnor's store and garage.  I vaguely remember the press being on the right had side near the big back door.

Henry Raymond
: [1]  
« previous next »
: