Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:37:35 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  General
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Fletcher Road Speed Limits
« previous next »
: 1 2 [3]
: Fletcher Road Speed Limits  ( 27047 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #30 : August 10, 2012, 09:35:13 AM »

I contacted the Secretary of State to see if the only alternative to recinding the speed limit was to gather 155 signatures and present it for a vote to the town and received this note:

"Hello Henry,

Ali Sarafzade forwarded to me your inquiry about rescinding selectboard decisions.  I apologize for the delay in responding, but I have been out of the office until today.

Under 23 V.S.A. § 1007, your town selectboard has the authority to establish local speed limits on town highways.  The selectboard can establish a new speed limit on its own volition, or could upon a petition of 5 percent of the voters of the town.  If the selectboard is unwilling to establish a new speed limit on its own then your only other option is to petition them to do so.  I assume that because your selectboard explained that 155 signatures would be required, that this number represents the 5 percent required.

I hope this is helpful, but please feel free to contact me if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

Brian

Brian Leven
Deputy Secretary of State
128 State Street
Montpelier, VT 05633-1101
(802)828-2363
brian.leven@sec.state.vt.us"

Apparently I was led astray and they could recind it if they wanted to, but chose to have us go out and get the petition, not telling us that.  Mary Kay and I both live in this town and pay taxes here and chose not to put Fairfax through the expense of a special vote on this.  As it stands now, the speed limit on the Fletcher Road from 99 Fletcher Road to the Fletcher Town Line will become 40 MPH as of August 26, 2012.  "Nuff Said"

Henry Raymond
trussell
: 870

« #31 : August 10, 2012, 11:25:42 AM »

I'm neutral on the subject... But as far as the petition goes I think that's a very that's a very responsible outlook Henry, about not wanting to put the town through the expense.  I would suggest that a petition be started to get it on the ballot in March- or to be a warned item at town meeting.  You should be able to get enough signatures by then.

Don't we have an election this November?  What's the cutoff date to get something put on the ballot for that one?

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson
rod anode
: 1141

meathead,: dead from the neck up!

« #32 : August 10, 2012, 04:23:28 PM »

well if your neutral then shut up
mirjo
: 785

« #33 : August 10, 2012, 06:37:47 PM »

Ed, "neutral" means he doesn't care what the speed limit is on Fletcher Rd., because he doesn't live there, not that he doesn't have an opinion on how to handle the situation. ;-)

If the world gives you melons, you might be dyslexic
rod anode
: 1141

meathead,: dead from the neck up!

« #34 : August 11, 2012, 04:04:12 AM »

i know im just givin him[ stuff in a brown bag on fire]
slpott
: 457

« #35 : August 11, 2012, 05:26:57 AM »

Someday Ed people will learn to love you just as I did. Until then I can hear your laughter.
: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
: