Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 02:00:12 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Ed Nuttall's Update from Avenue of the Giants
« previous next »
: [1]
: Ed Nuttall's Update from Avenue of the Giants  ( 2027 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : July 18, 2012, 05:50:46 AM »

Today was Bella's day. I walked her on the California oceanside near the Redwood National Park Information Center north of Trinidad and again at the RV site located at the Avenue of the Giants, a.k.a. Redwoods.

Since Redwoods are different from Sequoias I thought I'd add some specifics.

Redwoods age to more than 2000 years obtaining a height up to 370'. One could weigh as much as 1,200 tons. Base diameter is up to 22'. The cone is the size of an olive and the seed the size of a tomatoe seed.

Giant Sequoias age to more than 3,200 years obtaining a height up to 300'. One could weigh as much as 3,500 tons. Base diameter is up to 40'. The cone is the size of a chicken egg and the seed the size of an oat flake. 

Redwood old-growth forests have been reduced from 2-million aces in the 19th century to 100,000 acres today, of which 40,000 acres are in the National and State Parks.

Coast Redwoods grow naturally in a zone 450-miles long by 25-miles wide and below 3,000' in  altitude along the Pacific  Ocean from central CA to the southwestern corner of OR.

Henry Raymond
janet
: 51

« #1 : July 18, 2012, 11:48:28 AM »

I was just at those same places about a week ago with my daughter  Valerie and her family.  My grandson Joshua and I are visiting her in Redding CA for a few weeks.  As Ed said, you have to see the redwoods to appreciate how BIG they are!  Glad he posted pictures for all to see!   Our next trip is to SF next week to see a Giants game and sight see.
: [1]  
« previous next »
: