Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:43:38 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Local Home Health Nurse Dies At Age 60
« previous next »
: [1]
: Local Home Health Nurse Dies At Age 60  ( 1980 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : March 12, 2012, 07:32:45 AM »

I was quite surprised to see Gerri's obituary in this morning's paper.  I go down every couple of months down to the VNA to get my toenails clipped and Gerri was the one who usually did that.  The last time I went a couple weeks ago, I had a new nurse do it, but failed to ask if Gerri was ok as I had no idea she was sick or had any problem.  I believe in talking with her, she told me that she had made home visits here in Franklin County, so I am sure some of you may know her.  I have the greatest respect for the VNA.  They do a great job and I can attest to that through the wonderful help they were in taking care of Maryann.  My sympathy to Gerri's family.  She was a wonderful, pleasant, quiet spoken lady.

GERALDINE "GERRI" ATHERTON

ST. ALBANS - Gerri Atherton, 60, died Friday afternoon, March 9, 2012, in the ICU at Fletcher Allen Health Care, after a long battle with heart failure and pneumonia. Gerri was born in Middletown, Conn. on Aug. 20, 1951, the daughter of the late Rose and Albert Massini. She was a "miracle baby," born with a rare heart defect called Tetralogy of Fallot. She was rushed to Yale New Haven Hospital, where a temporary repair was done. The major repair was done in 1961. Thanks to the pioneering work of Drs. Blalock and Taussig, and the genius of Vivian Thomas, she lived a long productive life. She was a graduate in the first nursing class from Southern Connecticut State College in 1973. Later that year, she married her college sweetheart, Bob, her husband of 38 years. She went on to a long nursing career at Windham Hospital in Connecticut, North Country Hospital in Newport, many years with Franklin County Home Health, with some time at Care Partners, adult day care, and Kings Daughters Home, before returning to Franklin County Home Health, where she worked until her last hospitalization. Gerri was a lifelong fan of the Red Sox and, in recent years, of UCONN women's basketball. She loved a wide range of music from classical to Bon Jovi. She knitted hundreds of hats and pairs of mittens for various charities in the area. She leaves behind her husband, Bob; brother, Tom and his wife, Elinor, of Old Saybrook, Conn.; a sister-inlaw, and two brothers-inlaw in Connecticut; many nieces, nephews and cousins; and her mother-inlaw, Elaine Schoell of Mystic, Conn. She was also a loving foster parent for many years and has stayed in touch with Samantha Parizo of Middlebury, and Josh Parizo of Montgomery. Words cannot begin to describe how indebted we are to the McClure Medical Intensive Care Unit at Fletcher Allen Health Care. Over 31 days the doctors, nurses, respiratory therapists, and physical therapists were professional, compassionate, and at the end, treated Gerri with the dignity she deserved. Calling hours will be on Saturday, March 17, 2012, from 1 to 3 p.m., followed by a memorial service at 3 p.m., at Heald Funeral Home, 87 South Main St., St. Albans. Private messages of condolence are welcome at www.healdfuneralhome.com Contributions in Gerri's memory can be made to Franklin County Home Health, 3 Home Health Circle, St. Albans, VT 05478.

Henry Raymond
: [1]  
« previous next »
: