Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 06:37:13 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Political Issues/Comments
| | |-+  Carolyn, What Was The Legislation That Caused This
« previous next »
: [1]
: Carolyn, What Was The Legislation That Caused This  ( 3219 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : April 01, 2012, 06:45:16 AM »

The Mall will no longer sell Gift Cards, but it only says due to recent legislation passed and I can't seem to find what that is:

http://www.fox44now.com/story/17303426/mall-gift-cards

Henry Raymond
Carolyn Branagan
: 365

« #1 : April 01, 2012, 11:21:38 AM »

Hummmm......I don't know, Henry. I'll try to find out what they're talking about. There was some recent concern about too many fee charges to holders of credit cards, but nothing about gift cards. I'll get back to you on this.
C.

Carolyn Branagan
Carolyn Branagan
: 365

« #2 : April 03, 2012, 05:04:05 PM »

Hi Henry,

Here’s what I have found so far. Blaming the state in this article in unfair since both federal and state laws regulate gift cards. The state of Vermont laws reflect the federal laws. From what I read, it appears that recent federal legislation was passed to protect consumers. The new law establishes a minimum expiration date and prohibits some fees.

The Vermont Legislative Fiscal Office explains the federal change by saying ‘the Credit CARD Act of 2009 prohibits gift cards (store issued or bank issued “gift cards”) from expiring before 5 years from the date of purchase or when money was last loaded onto a card, and prohibits fees for the first 12 months. These consumer protections will go into effect next summer. Stronger state laws will remain valid.’

Current Vermont law is explicit that:
•   No expiration for three years.
•   No fees, except that a licensed money transmitter, financial institution or credit union may charge a one-time issuance fee of either $10 or 10%, whichever is smaller.
•   If remaining value is $1.00 or less, may redeem remainder for cash.
•   Consumer may redeem unused portion after expiration date if requested.
•   Does not cover access device such as a debit card or other access means to a consumer’s account regularly maintained at a bank to access funds or to initiate an electronic funds transfer from the account.
Now, there is a bill, H.730, which has passed the House and is now in the Senate. It is not law and may not pass at all, but this bill extends the expiration in Vermont law to five years, among other changes, just like the federal law. I believe this news article is complaining about the federal changes which go into effect this summer. If the Vermont law, H.730 passes, it will make our state the same as federal law, and I think the merchants in the news article don’t like having to honor cards for that long. I'm not an expert in this area, so I’ll continuing looking for information on this.

Carolyn

Carolyn Branagan
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #3 : April 03, 2012, 06:20:54 PM »

Hi Carolyn,
Thanks, I believe that back in my mind I remember that the University Mall Gift Cards could eat themselves up and become worthless after a few years, so I have never bought a University Mall Gift Card - I have found that as a customer of TD Bank, I can buy Gift Cards from them at no charge and I don't believe they charge fees - Not sure how they can do that, but assume they can because the purchaser has to be a TD Bank Customer.

Henry Raymond
: [1]  
« previous next »
: