Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 07:52:47 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  General
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Seeing Old Friends Brings Back Memories
« previous next »
: [1]
: Seeing Old Friends Brings Back Memories  ( 2106 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : December 14, 2011, 04:56:13 PM »

Was down at the Steeple Market tonight and saw Frena Phillips walking into the store.  The first thing that popped into my mind was something that happened 60 years ago about this time of the month of December.  Frena and I were both working for S. Allen Soule, Maple Syrup Dealer in Fairfield Center.  The place was located right about where the new Fairfield Center School is in Fairfield Center.  I had just bought a 1936 Hudson Terraplane, which was a nice car to look at, but just didn't seem to want to start all the time.  At lunch time Mrs. Patterson (Her daughter later married Ted Meunier), Laura Raymo and Frena Webb got in the car so I could demonstrate what a great deal I got.  Everyone was all seated,( Didn't have to worry about seat belts in those days) as I started the car.  Unknown to me or any of the 3 girls, the boys in the canning shop had planted a bomb in the car.  Not one that would do any damage, but it sure scared the living daylights out of us with the hissing than the KABOOM.  Frena was sitting in the back seat going from one side of the back seat to the other trying to get out of the car.  Keep in mind that that car had about two and one-half feet between the front seat and the back seat, so there was plenty of room to do that.  I had no idea what had happened until I saw about 4 guys standing outside the canning shop laughing their butts off.  Oh Well, not that this had anything to do with it, but I did go back and trade the car in for my 1931 Chevy two weeks later.  I paid $150 for it and they gave me $50 for it towards the $95 I paid for the 1931 Chevy at Albert Benoits.  I had bought the 1936 Hudson Terraplane from Frank Deslauriers & Son who had a business on South Main Street in St. Albans.

When I asked Frena if she remembered that, she said, "Oh Yes, very well."  There are some things we just never forget, no matter how long we live.

Henry Raymond
: [1]  
« previous next »
: