Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 03:10:52 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  General
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Handguns
« previous next »
: 1 [2]
: Handguns  ( 15617 )
vtredhd
: 16

« #15 : November 11, 2011, 09:51:32 AM »

"I vote for the gun over an alarm system!  In the event of an intruder, I want action not noise but that is just me."

I would vote for a pump shotgun....the sound of the shell being chambered by the pump action would be enough to strike fear in even the most stupid of criminals!  Just the thought makes me smile!
Thor

« #16 : November 11, 2011, 10:38:11 AM »

The only time some scumbag is going to hear the sound of chambering a round would be when they hear me cycling the action in order to send my follow-up shot. Scaring these types is a mute point, obviously they are already showing no concern for being caught. Maybe that speaks to our legal system or perhaps just their poor judgement.
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #17 : November 12, 2011, 01:35:16 AM »

WHOA WHOA.....

Please do not mistake my post as PRO Rambo.

Education would keep the gun owners, God forbid they have to use them in self defense, on the correct side of the law.

Clam heads would be sorta cool too.

Someone knocking on your door don't mean you can blast them, but we ALL know that.

This man, "victim", in the story raises a lot of questions on my end.
Scott
: 152

« #18 : November 12, 2011, 11:17:37 AM »

I found this video interesting.
It's from an USAF Instructor, that talks about what may happen when you shoot in self defense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Lh5bAARcMg

(there's some NSFW language)

Regards,
Scott
Thor

« #19 : November 12, 2011, 01:28:20 PM »

Scott,

With regards to ROE's and post shooting investigations / civil lawsuits. 3 criteria need to be met in order for lethal force to be authorized. Ability, opportunity and manifest intent. And even those can be fluid depending on the situation. But if some methhead breaks into your house at late at night, and your react. If he is armed, even with a baseball bat or crowbar, that means he can do lethal harm to you. (He now meets the ability criteria). He is in your house and you and your family are in your house at the same time. (He has now met the opportunity criteria). If you tell him to stop, or freeze or give him any command which he ignores, or if he makes movement toward you or someone in your family, (he has now met the manifest intent criteria) and you are authorized the use of deadly force. If only your wife or child were home and the intruder was unarmed, but larger than your family member, and he made movement towards them, they are cleared hot to use deadly force. Hell, if he is bigger than you, and you are "in fear for your life and those of your family" you are authorized the use of deadly force. Very simple, clear and easy to teach to family members.

With regards to civil lawsuits from scumbags family, sure there is that potential. Until such time that Vermont adopts the Castle Doctrine, which provides immunity to anyone who defends his home (castle), his family or his property, from civil lawsuits from said methhead/scumbags family. Currently 31 states have some form of the Castle Doctrine / Law which protects the shooter in this scenario. Anti gun zealots do not like this law, however, more states are accepting this need. The Castle Doctrine also protects you if you are in your vehicle and someone tries to carjack you, or you are in a restaurant and someone starts shooting the place up. Obviously, good judgement is necessary in any setting where a stray round could cause injury to an innocent person.

Just remember to keep it simple.... ability, opportunity and manifest intent. Those three things are met and it is time to take the slack out and maintain front site focus. And remember, anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice.
Scott
: 152

« #20 : November 12, 2011, 02:10:36 PM »

Thanks Thor.

Very well said.

Regards,
Scott
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #21 : November 20, 2011, 12:18:11 AM »

I found this video interesting.
It's from an USAF Instructor, that talks about what may happen when you shoot in self defense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Lh5bAARcMg

(there's some NSFW language)

Good Video.

YOU TUBE ROCKS!
: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
: