Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 06:18:50 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  IBM helps Fairfax EMS
« previous next »
: [1]
: IBM helps Fairfax EMS  ( 9439 )
Scott
: 152

« : October 17, 2011, 05:23:06 PM »

I'm sure someone from the FD/Rescue will post something more informative, but I saw today at work (IBM) ... that IBM has donated $10,000 to Fairfax EMS for e911 signs for all residences in Fairfax, and our surrounding towns.

Regards,
Scott
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #1 : October 17, 2011, 05:56:25 PM »

Steve Bessette, Do you know the scoop on this - If not, I can try to contact someone down there, but after being retired for 20 years, they will probably say "Henry Who???"

Henry Raymond
resqmas701
: 16

« #2 : October 18, 2011, 01:41:32 PM »

From rescue here is a bit of information. IBM is celebrating its 100th anniversary this year. As part of the celebration they are entertaining community service grants that translate to emergency management, or the delivery of emergency services. Dan Vanslette, the President of Fairfax Rescue, applied for one of these grants. One of the greatest challenges those of us in emergency services encounter on a regular basis is finding the location of the call. The numbering system in town is haphazard in some places and non existant in others. We felt that we could impact emergency response at its most basic level if we addressed the way homes are numbered. Many communities throughout the state utilize a standardized E911 sign system. This consists of a 6" by 18" reflective green sign with reflective white numbering which is placed near the road. This allows responding emergency responders to quickly and easily locate an address in an emergency. While $10,000.00 sounds like a lot, we have found that it will not quite do the whole town. We have about 2500 residences in town and the grant will buy us about 1500 signs. Because of this we are not sure how we will initially implement this but we will do it in such a way as to have the maximum affect. We will also be looking at ways to complete the project in the future with different possible funding sources. We will be seeking the assistance of Students at BFA and possible local boy scouts in the deployment of the signs. While the way we carry out the plan is yet to be determined, what we do know is that the grant money has been awarded to us so you may rest assured the project will move forward. We will keep you apprised as we move forward with this.

Mike Spaulding
Fairfax Rescue
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #3 : October 18, 2011, 01:59:42 PM »

Great news Mike!  As you said you are running short to do all of Fairfax. If residents put their house number on a visable place from the road assist in accomplishing this project?  Seems like a reasonable request to assist in the Rescue Squad/Fire Dept being able to find your home when you need them.

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #4 : October 19, 2011, 08:29:06 AM »

I received the following note from Jeff Couture this morning:

Hi Henry,

Yes, that's accurate, but I do not have any additional information beyond the fact that the grant will pay for the installation of e-911 road signs on every address in Fairfax, Fletcher and Westford.

The grant is one of several community grants IBM has been awarding this year as part of its recognition of the Centennial to schools and non-profit organizations where IBMers volunteer.  I plan a press release about all or the individual grants soon.

So far, IBM has given over $150,000 to Vermont organizations through the community grant program and it is possible that will top $300,000 when the program closes next month.

Jeff Couture
Communications and Analyst Relations
IBM Microelectronics

Henry Raymond
Dick Brown
: 414

« #5 : October 19, 2011, 09:25:44 AM »

Henry                    Jeff Couture ....a voice from the past , glad he's still a positive part of the IBM Culture . Good things are now and have been done for Vt's small communities by Big Blue , and this latest project is a terrific example . Thanks for the posting .
slpott
: 457

« #6 : October 19, 2011, 11:20:16 AM »

Mike:
Is there any way that some people can buy their sign?. I am sure that if people knew the impact it has they would be willing to help and pay for their own sign. That way maybe you could complete the project all at the same time. I would be more than happy to do it. Shelly
resqmas701

« #7 : October 19, 2011, 12:52:48 PM »

To answer two questions that I have seen here. Yes it would be most helpful in the interim if everyone would make sure their home is visibly marked with their street number, preferably near the road. As to the second question, yes it may be possible for people to purchase their own sign if they wanted. It is one of the things under discussion along with other fund raisers, donations, town participation, etc. We have just not made it that far yet. Our ultimate goal would be for everyone to have one.
logical
: 141

« #8 : October 19, 2011, 02:16:44 PM »

I see in Mr. Couture's message that this includes purchasing signs for Westford, Fletcher & Fairfax.  This would probably include more than the 2,500 signs mentioned above.
mirjo
: 785

« #9 : October 21, 2011, 02:00:26 AM »

Apparently the cost of this project wasn't known/anticipated/researched, otherwise I'm sure it wouldn't have been announced as a blanket sweep of signs for all three towns.

If the world gives you melons, you might be dyslexic
resqmas701

« #10 : October 25, 2011, 10:46:33 AM »

That is true. The opportunity arose on very short notice. We were hoping to include all three towns as we provide coverage for all three. Our intent is to go as far as the grant will carry us and then plan how to continue with the project. There may be other grant opportunities available form other sources, fundraisers are not out of the question. We are open to suggestions as this project is much needed. I can't express to you how frustrating it is to know that someone is in need of help and you can't find them because properties are not numbered.
: [1]  
« previous next »
: