Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:29:19 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  So Tell Me - Did I Miss Something???
« previous next »
: 1 [2] 3
: So Tell Me - Did I Miss Something???  ( 24511 )
Chris Santee
: 2653

« #15 : October 23, 2011, 05:45:19 AM »

No problem, Gary, no apologies necessary.
Thanks for the birthday wishes !
Watch for the article.

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
7F24
: 253

« #16 : October 23, 2011, 07:05:49 AM »

If you get rid of the buses, you will never get them back.  I don't understand how it could ever work to our advantage to add a company that is making a profit between the buses and our tax money.  The expenses are all still there (buses, maintenance, drivers, fuel, etc), which would be paid for by us to the contractor.  Then add in the contractors profit, which we don't pay now.  Who controls the contractor's fees after our buses are gone?
slpott
: 457

« #17 : October 23, 2011, 08:47:07 AM »

I am not real familiar with this stuff but my question is this. What happens when the athletes do really well and need additional bussing to their State Championships and such? Would that be additional from the original contract. With limited knowledge I would vote no for this.
mirjo
: 785

« #18 : October 23, 2011, 12:42:54 PM »

I don't have all the details (yet), but as a resident for over 20 years, I can't come up with any good reason to contract out the buses over the 17 years I have had kids in school at BFA, a lot has gone into establishing and maintaining our fleet, including building a new bus garage. This is likely a money issue (what else), the money is going to go out to a middle man to pay for what we already own. I can't imagine that the real savings would be significant in the big picture. Then there is the  increase every time the contract is re-negotiated.  I don't see an outside service being better than what we have--even if there are in-house issues.

slpott has a good point about sports/drama etc. What about field trips--not that the kids get many anymore, but while things can be written in a contract, I would bet there are things BFA is able to accomplish seamlessly, because it has its own fleet. Perhaps along the way there were trips that would not have taken place if not for the fact that we had our own buses/ a willing driver in Del or some other/ and teacher(s) who were able to come up with the cash to pay for the gas. It seems I recall a field trip or two that took place at some point during my kids' elementary/middle years that fit this scenario. Likely there have been or will be others.

If the world gives you melons, you might be dyslexic
ASDuling
: 75

« #19 : October 23, 2011, 03:27:36 PM »

When this topic comes up for vote I'd like to hear if there any benefits to Fletcher with Fairfax keeping our bus fleet.  Perhaps they have had transportation issues with field trips like some folks here have mentioned. Keeping our busses may be helpful for both communities.
resqmas701
: 16

« #20 : October 25, 2011, 10:59:10 AM »

One other small added value to keeping the busses, perhaps some have missed. Trussell mentioned the times that an additional bus or two may be needed. One of those time could be in case of a large scale emergency. Fortunately we have not needed to test the theory.....yet. Fairfax is not immune from some of the tragic events that we see around us. If there were an emergency on a large scale in this town, and large numbers of people needed to be moved quickly, the school busses would be one of the greatest resources we have. If they weren't here, they wouldn't be available and the contracted services would go to whoever called them first. Just something to think about.
al brodeur
: 216

« #21 : October 25, 2011, 08:52:27 PM »

this is thought for the bus issue
does the state have a bus buying pool for all of its school districts? that way buses are cheaper. the flip side is that if a private contractor has the buses he would not get the mass buyers discount(which should be gotten if too many pockets are not padded) also for the investment that he has made he has to have a dollar return(no free rides) so then as I see it insurance, maybe doubtfull, and drivers thats a touchy one. here where I am at the present a driver earns retirement at half the teachers rate, there is talk here of contracting all of the bus service, as it is now some is contracted the last I knew we had over 130 buses. the driver retirement  is the big cost issue along with the $19 hr.

on the consolidation issue how far will the farthest student be from school, would it be better to split fletcher in half where some come to Fairfax and others to a closer school for them or is it illegal to split a town into two school districts, of course the peoples choice should prevail.

of course all of this is a flat landers view, which doesn't  count but we have simular problems in dividing the school district up for three high schools with the fourth on the drawing boards
Chris Santee
: 2653

« #22 : October 26, 2011, 04:40:37 AM »

If an elementary student lives near the border,

and attends BFA Fairfax, and his/her parents wish,

they may contact the School Board and ask for

permission to attend the other, or closer school.

IF the merger goes through.

Public Meetings November 2nd in Fairfax
November 3rd in Fletcher
both at 6:30pm

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
ohhman
: 469

« #23 : October 27, 2011, 01:12:04 PM »

Mirjo &7F24- kudos to you & roadkill  ( it takes a real good person to own up to an opinion & apologize because of it due to real legit gripes he has!).  So, what people need to know is there may not be a separate bus vote! Just like many that didn't get info on school changes with saying no to past issues (full Kinder) & vote to pass everything....vote NO to the merger, doesn't seem to help Fairfax much @ all  (& YES I was @ the last meeting) & then call & voice opinion on KEEPING our buses but better yet, like roadkill says; WRITE your opinion !  Attend the next merger meeting! There were so many responses for questions asked by  they didn't know the answer! The committee states there are no real benefits in the findings so, like an ol' timer might say, "Don't fix what ain't broken"!
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #24 : October 27, 2011, 02:09:49 PM »

I also attended the meeting as you know, for the merger.  I would encourage anyone who wants to ask questions to attend the meetings. 

I also want to point out this is a committee to research the merger, not create policy, which they in turn responded in that fashion when asked questions.  The questions they didn't know answers to were way out of their hands.

"Well what will our taxes be after year 5?"   How would they know or do we know today what our taxes will be 5 years without the merger.

"What would be the reason the board would let my child go to elementary school in Fletcher instead of Fairfax or vice versa" This was an example of a POSSIBLE option if the merger goes thru, they are not the School Board that would be elected to make those decisions.

I applaud these volunteers who took the time to do the research and provide the information for both towns.  They gave out possibilities as to benefits and what this could do for Fairfax and Fletcher. They are there to help inform you of the merger so you can make your decision. Some just don't want anything to change unless it benefits them greatly, I am sad about this....

My opinion, the Fletcher students, 95% currently, when they arrive in 7th grade are now BFA's students. A merger would bring the 6th grade to BFA fairfax, approximately 20 kids.  It would allow the schools to share resources, and would give BFA Fairfax a stable number for the budget instead of the ever changing tuition. School Tax incentives for the merger, first 4 years I believe, I would have to look back on the info. Also, it would give the Fletcher School the ability to not have students in trailers for class.

I don't care if you live in Fairfax or Fletcher, shouldn't it be what is best for the kids and really not impacting us financially any different as a Fairfax resident. Having NO children, and pay thru the nose in taxes, I am in favor of this as it truly is a smart decision.

Don't Fix what's broken, well Fletcher is broken, as a Fairfax/Fletcher community that joins together as their student become 7th graders, why be selfish of adding one classroom of kids..... I did not remember the commitee saying there were no benefits? I believe that was your opinion....

Please read more details in my responses after the last meeting   http://www.vtgrandpa.com/forum/index.php?topic=12697.msg33272#msg33272

As for the buses, this is NOT about them for this vote and was a separate discussion before the merger and I am sure after as well. How do you know there will not be a separate bus vote?  Was that stated in the School Board in a meeting and I missed it in the notes?
« : October 27, 2011, 02:38:24 PM Henry »

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
swilliam
: 47

« #25 : October 27, 2011, 02:42:35 PM »

Well said Mary Kay.........thank you.
rod anode
: 1141

meathead,: dead from the neck up!

« #26 : October 27, 2011, 02:59:24 PM »

i think fletcher town should merg with fairfax then we can get our garbage removed as well ,oh axe the school owned buses
ohhman
: 469

« #27 : October 28, 2011, 01:06:21 PM »

I also thank the committee for their time spent on researching the possible merger.  In the Fairfax News is where I read, & did not write it correctly-  sorry-, that the committee did not find any earth shaking savings.  It is my opinion, & I thought that's what this forum is partly for- to express our opinion, after hearing from many on this issue of a possible merger, that it is not such a great idea.  I also heard it on the news a few weeks back & it was stated if it went through, it'd be one of the 1st in our state.  Though we don't know what taxes will be in any future years, if we keep adding kids from surrounding schools, one thing is for certain, we will run out of space & there will be a need to expand.  I just think, my opinion, too many unknowns do not make for a wise decision to change the way things are.  I see many people on fixed/low incomes that just struggle to survive every day  & certainly would not want to add further burden to them.  I agree MKR, people need to attend the meetings; thats what they hold them for, & its very unfortunate more do not go.  Mergers are NOT always in the best interest for those involved;  just ask about merging custodial issues of the 3 schools. I am sorry Fletcher residents struggle, but so do many Fairfax residents.   And as for a separate bus vote; that won't happen, it will just happen: as did the custodian issue & even just as a few years back when we lost our own lunch program & that was contracted out - we lost & continue to lose good people due to the changes; never again in our hands & always at the mercy of what/who we contract with.  I stand by my own opinion, keep our buses & lets wait on the merger idea!
roadkill
: 80

« #28 : October 28, 2011, 08:10:44 PM »

Thank you 3plusK, I get so wound up at some of these issues because I was there, Scott was there, Bill was there, Michelle was there, Sue was there but we arn't anymore. This thread was about busses, not the merger and I respect what trussel had to say and the little knowledge I have of him, I respect his thought out opinions and wish he would run for the school board. Im interested in knowing his findings but how deep can he really go or information can he get in an organization that says basically its really vermont maple syrup when its actually from new jersey. When the school consolidated everything with the Supervisory i.e. building and grounds, bookeepers, human resourses, curriculam coordinators and so on it didnt work that great at the start and the answer to me was give it time, Oh yeah, Mary Baker too, she left, she took care of managing everyones pay, vacation time, sick time etc... Every other week on my pay stub there was never a problem in 10 years. accurate as accurate can get. Its not they way anymore, the central office is questioning people in june about 4 hours you took off in november. This system is still broke or should i say that the staff is not receiving the same excellent service it had, paid for by the taxpayers, before the consolidation. 1 maintenance supervisor for 3 schools is not working. Fairfax and Fletcher in a merge will pay approximately 70 percent of this persons salary. Georgia the other 30.Are you getting what you pay for? What happens when Fairfax and Fletcher in regards to maintenance and custodians? This is huge people. Maintainig your core plant and grounds is as much important as teaching a child to read. Where I work now I have a Director who manages 6 schools. It CAN work but you must have hard working dedicated knowledgeable employees who are taken care of, and most of all Respected. To do that you need Supervisors and Administrators who lead by example and have the ability to hold someone accountable rather than one that has compromised their position of authority and integrity and is forced to turn their heads and look the other way.People that will act on something immediately rather than wait for someone tto complain in WRITING. Do your jobs, BE THE BAD GUY, thats what you get paid to do, not shift the blame. I am 100% in favor of keeping the busses and even making it larger if need be to support the system. They just need to put some management checks and balances in place. As far as the merger, I need to go to the meeting and ask some questions. You can only squuze so much juice out of an orange and with everything going on and systems still broken you either need better oranges or more oranges.
     Last but not least Henry if you read this please remove me as a member with the ability to post on this web-site, Ill send you a separate e mail. Ive said what I said, going to take splotts advice and move on. If Ive burned any bridges so be it AT LEAST I DID IT IN WRITING>
sdogallen
: 51

« #29 : October 28, 2011, 09:13:17 PM »

Very well put Roadkill. I am the Scott that Gary is speaking of and I totally and 110% stand behind what he is saying. We have worked there and we have seen what goes on AND what not goes on behind the scenes. I am also working at a place where no matter who you are or what position you hold you are held accountable for your actions. You are expected to do a job and do it to the best of your ability. The people that are in the highest positions there are highly respected because they treat every employee equal and don't look down on you. It all makes for a great place to work. I don't live in Fairfax but if I did I sure would be raising a stink knowing what goes on. I enjoyed my 11 yrs. of working at BFA. Met and worked with a lot of great people and the kids were and still are top notch. With that being said I too will request that Henry take my ability to post any OPINIONS away. Thank you very much!
: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
: