Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:29:43 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  So Tell Me - Did I Miss Something???
« previous next »
: [1] 2 3
: So Tell Me - Did I Miss Something???  ( 24510 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : October 17, 2011, 02:32:57 PM »

I have no idea what the sign on Duane & Marnita Leach's front lawn stands for??
Are we voting on something??

Henry Raymond
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #1 : October 17, 2011, 02:37:41 PM »

I saw a similar sign when I was leaving the blood drive today. Are they talking about contracting this out?

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
rwing180
: 98

« #2 : October 17, 2011, 02:55:41 PM »

I also saw the sign Sunday & wondered what it was about ?
David Shea
: 471

« #3 : October 17, 2011, 05:41:25 PM »

Currently Fairfax & Fletcher are looking at consolidation.  The bus issue it this: Fletcher does not own buses and contracts with First Student.  Fairfax owns its own buses and hires its own staff.  School consolidation will require keeping things the same or Fairfax potentially may sell the buses and put transportation out for bid.

I am speculation on this so if you would like real answers, contact Ned Kirsch at the supervisory union.
Chris Santee
: 2653

« #4 : October 18, 2011, 05:22:45 AM »

The bus "idea" was in place before the merger meetings started.

Nothing official was ever given to the Fairfax News to report.

The "idea" I heard about was FWSU taking over the bus fleet.

With Fairfax having purchased a bus almost every year, I did not think it sounded like a good idea.

But, please remember, nothing official has been given to the Fairfax News.

I heard about the idea when we began discussing the merger and buses.

The Fairfax News will call Ned Kirsch and the property owners today.
Have a great day, all !

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
Chris Santee

« #5 : October 18, 2011, 05:23:54 AM »

and on another note to the property owners.
The front porch is looking great !!!

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
Dick Brown
: 414

« #6 : October 18, 2011, 11:34:32 AM »

I agree Chris ....the front porch looks great , and remembering Duane's quest for excellence in whatever he did , he would have it no other way . Probably it would even satisfy Cyrus , his Uncle , who kept a pretty neat house himself .
On this other matter , a slow rainy day in Punta Gorda brings to mind that , based on other mergers I have observed in the past , merging bus services might be a real probability for this joint action to occur , and certainly would be a prudent question to be asked at the November info meetings . The possibility might exist , though , for a separation of particular services if the voters so request , based upon cost efficiency and service of course , but someone more familiar with this process could answer that .
Loyalty was always a trait that I admired and tried to practice and it would be difficult for me , as a former administrator to forget the efficient services , safety and daily accommodations made for our programs & students in the past by Bob Gates , Del Sweatt  and all of the many cooperative bus drivers who have been utilized in the past . Attempting to solve an emerging situation became very easy when all one had to do was to walk down or call Bob or Del and say ' here's what we need " as opposed to making a long distance call , with all the possible obstacles to a solution. On the other hand , I had no problems with Terry Wright's bus lines when I was principal at Sheldon and I don't think that John Gillis or Del had any problems with Mountain Transit back in the early 90's when we contracted out for Special Ed so it can work .
I recognize also that too much loyalty can be construed as a detriment to decision making and it's perhaps fortunate that I don't get paid the big bucks to make those recommendations anymore .  It also would have been difficult for me to pull the trigger on the Hot Lunch Program , respecting as I did the job that Nellie , Mary, John and their staffs , had done through the years , but I understand that the Abbey's Services have worked out well. 
 So much for my two cents .   
« : October 18, 2011, 12:53:14 PM Dick Brown »
mirjo
: 785

« #7 : October 18, 2011, 10:43:06 PM »

I'm going to chime in here, because I am not a fan of contracting out services, even though I understand it's done as a cost saving measure, it's not necessarily the best choice.  While the Abbey services have worked out fine for the school budget (and certainly for the Abbey) I'm not sure it's really "all that." In fact my kids, who preferred taking hot lunch and did so for years, stopped soon after the Abbey take over. The quality clearly diminished within a year or so. They weren't the only ones who felt that way. I don't know if it's improved any, but I doubt it.

If the world gives you melons, you might be dyslexic
ohhman
: 469

« #8 : October 19, 2011, 12:56:32 PM »

I agree with Lisa on the Abbey from what my own kids & daycare kids have voiced! Nothing against the people that run it- they are good people- it's just the rules they have to follow & with food allergies it's understandable. I just know my own boys like the meals LOTS better once they went to Essex Tech!!  As for the buses, there is the unknown we were told @ the open mtg the school board held on input to the budget this month.  Voice your opinion that we do NOT want our buses contracted out!  We will NEVER get them back @ what it'd cost to replace them & once they are gone, it's forever! & there too MAY go field trips & what happens when a kid is dropped to the wrong place (happened to 1 in my care).  Our bus driver heard the call & tho not his route, he quickly went to retrieve the child & brought to me safely!!  Bet that wouldn't happen if contracted out!  We have good people driving our buses, many kids have known them for a long time & we have very efficient people running our bus system to speak clearly to the superintendent that WE WANT TO KEEP OUR BUS SYSTEM THE WAY IT IS!!!  Consolidation is NOT always such a positive & effective choice....just look @ what happened with combining the custodial end of 3 schools!!!  & if you don't know, ask!!!  We are the ones paying the budget so make sure you Attend & voice your opinion- whether you have kids in the school or not!  If you pay tax, & yes renters pay tax in a roundabout way!- be informed!!
sdogallen
: 51

« #9 : October 19, 2011, 05:23:43 PM »

I'm in total favor of contracted services for busing. As long as they stay away from the big companies like First Student, Mtn. Transit etc... and get a local ,small company there that pays attention to detail... it will work. What is there now all looks good on the OUTSIDE but if you only knew what is going on the INSIDE... attitudes would be different.
trussell
: 870

« #10 : October 20, 2011, 10:06:05 AM »

As with any purchase, I would be in favor of whichever provides the best value.  This isn't always the best price though.  Sometimes it's hard to put a dollar figure on certain aspects when contracting for a service.  Yes, maybe a private company- large or small- could provide the best price but how do other things factor into the total value- what resources are available if an extra bus or two are needed at the last minute, are the employees receiving a fair wage, is the service being provided reliable, how easy is it for parents/students/school administrators to communicate with the company, how easy will it be to address and resolve conflicts?  Although sometimes difficult, to make the decision of what provides the best value you need to remove the human element and emotion out of it. This decision shouldn't be made just because you may like a current bus driver or you don't like the owner of a large bus company. Unfortunately our Select Board and School Board (and probably most others towns' as well) doesn't have the best record of explaining the value behind their decisions (think back to town meeting and the land purchase getting voted down) so this is something that I will be looking into myself before voting on it.

Ok, I'm off to enjoy this awesome fall day :)

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson
Chris Santee

« #11 : October 20, 2011, 10:10:08 AM »

By State Law, the School Board is required to explore consolidation in many areas including transportation.
They are exploring.

No decisions have been made.
You will have a chance to express your opinion at an upcoming School Board meeting (Public Comment).

Georgia would be included (and they are not part of the Fairfax/Fletcher merger).

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
roadkill
: 80

« #12 : October 20, 2011, 05:49:43 PM »

First off, Ill quote Henry "did i miss something", Everybody is missing something. And Chris, come on now, the Fairfax News was never told officially so you could not print it. You sound like the Suits running the school, "unless your complaint isn't in writing I cant do anything about it" I like what sdogallen wrote, a bus mechanic at fairfax for 13 years. What appears to be happening on the OUTSIDE isnt really whats happening on the INSIDE. The Administration, Superintendant, School Board are all aware of it but nobody has voiced their complaints "IN WRITING" therefore nothing can be done about it. Chris, your my friend and you know. PRINT IT. Im in favor of contracting the busses out for one reason and one reason only. Trussel said to take the personal part out of it, if I were able to do that I would be 100 percent in favor of keeping the busses. When is this meeting. I dont work for BFA no more.
Chris Santee

« #13 : October 22, 2011, 08:43:31 AM »

Roadkill, what I heard were "rumors" - Rumors don't make the Fairfax News.

Now, I've found more facts (see my last post)
I'd be more worried if the Board weren't considering consolidation, since they'd be breaking State Law.
You know there will be an upcoming School Board meeting and the locals will voice their concerns.
They will not have to be in writing. Julie will get them all in the minutes.

If you can't make the meeting, Call a school board member and tell them your feelings.
I don't even know if the board will have buses on their agenda for the next meeting.

I am on the merger committee. This bus issue has nothing to do with the merger.
The buses would be on the March Town Meeting ballot.

I've already spoken with one bus driver and am trying to find time to meet with a second for an article.
I'll get all the details and THEN you will read it in the Fairfax News.

Now, when is the next School Board meeting ? Not sure.
Personally, I want the buses to stay BFA Fairfax property. But that's just me.
I am not on the School Board.

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
roadkill
: 80

« #14 : October 22, 2011, 12:07:16 PM »

Chris, Im sorry for putting you on the spot like that, i really do apologize, you do know however how I get so upset about some of these issues, we have spoken about them for some time, Scott too, anyhow Happy Birthday and Thank You for all the support you give the community with the many hats you wear. Really, Please dont take any of that the wrong way, I respect you and what you do but Im still bitter about a few things. And PLEASE to everyone, KEEP THE BUSSES
: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
: