Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:13:40 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Fairfax/Fletcher Residents Discuss Merger At Last Night's Meeting
« previous next »
: [1] 2
: Fairfax/Fletcher Residents Discuss Merger At Last Night's Meeting  ( 13543 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : September 29, 2011, 08:01:11 AM »

Above L to R:  Pat Fondry (Face Hidden), Mary Kay Raymond, Carl Jones, Wayne Sweet, ?, Dale Bellows, Sally Sweet, Karen Hebert, ?, ?, Jim Meunier, ?

About 25 or so residents of Fairfax and Fletcher attended a discussion meeting last night at BFA - Fox 44 was there and you can read their report and also view the video in the following link:

http://www.fox44now.com/story/15574213/fairfax-and-fletcher-school-districts-consider-merge

Henry Raymond
David Shea
: 471

« #1 : September 29, 2011, 08:57:10 AM »

By the expressions on the faces in the crowd it must have been good news?
fletchtb
: 310

« #2 : September 29, 2011, 09:00:03 AM »

I really wanted to go to this meeting last night, but was not able to make it happen.

I would imagine with a turnout of only 25 people from both towns, the outlook for getting this merger passed is not going to be good. People are going to be against change to begin with, and without effectively getting the information out to the public, I expect there will be a lot of no votes in both towns.

Was anyone there last night that cares to comment on how the meeting went and what they think the pros and cons are of the proposal?
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #3 : September 29, 2011, 11:53:35 AM »

I attended the meeting last night.  I was pleased with what I heard.  Currently approximately 95% of Fletcher students come to Fairfax in the 7th grade.  We receive tuition for each student that attends BFA.  Each year Fairfax has to guess for the budget approximately how many will attend BFA, this would go away as 100% would attend.  What about the tuition money; that would be replaced with the ADM monies as we would have a total head count of BFA and Fletcher.  So no money is lost there.

What about taxes?  The following 4 years, if approved by both towns, both Fairfax and Fletcher would receive a reduced School tax rate.

Also, $70,000 is given by the state to be used for the Board, which would consist of 5 Fairfax elected, and 2 Fletcher elected members. If the merger is passed by Fletcher and Fairfax, they would be taxed from July 1,2012 to July 1,2013 to establish procedures and policies for Fletcher/Fairfax school.

What does this bring to the Fletcher and Fairfax students? 

It allows the schools to share resources and teachers.  Here's a couple examples: Say a part time teacher, like a health teacher, could possibly be a full time teacher by teaching at both schools.  This currently cannot be done as we are separate entities. Also, we have several music teachers, maybe one is strong in choral, or orchestra, they could utilize these resources to benefit both schools.

They also discussed that it may be an option to have an elementary school choice for the students, with approval from the board, on a case by case basis. This means that with a cause, say parent travels to Fletcher everyday and wants their child to go to a smaller school, could request so.  Also, if a Fletcher student's parent had reasons for having their child to attend BFA, could also go up to the board and request.

It would also allow the 6th grade Fletcher students to begin attending BFA. An additional 6th grade class would be added and the Fletcher 6th grade teacher would move down to Fairfax. Question was asked about the space in BFA and the answer was we have plenty of room for the class and also the number of students is trending down, not up in Fairfax.  The committee did utilize the Census to help assist in looking at this option.  Also, if Fletcher does not go through with this merger, I heard they are going to have to expand their building as several students are in a trailer at this time.  Fletcher’s taxes are already high, so if this does not go thru, they will be taxed with adding that to their budget.

Questions were asked about the school budget if they merged.  Would the towns vote separately.  The answer is a vote would be done by Australian ballot in both towns, on the same day, and the total would not be separated by town for the vote.  We would be one community voting on the school budget.

As a Fairfax resident, I went to the meeting wanting to know what it would do to my taxes and what would the merger do to benefit the kids.  The committee has really taken a great deal of time to research the project and presented the information to the Fairfax/Fletcher residents to allow us to make the decision.  They volunteered their time and are not trying to dictate the process but educate the towns as to what this means to both towns if we became one.

I believe this would definitely benefit the Fletcher Students greatly. Fairfax students will gain additional resources and would also have the Fletcher students join them in the 6th grade to the middle school.  They all adjust together into middle school at the same time. 

Financially, reducing overhead costs and providing more for the students, I think this is an excellent move for both schools and town tax payers.

« : September 29, 2011, 12:46:19 PM Henry »

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
swilliam
: 47

« #4 : September 29, 2011, 12:20:18 PM »

Thank you for the input Mary Kay.  I also did not go to the meeting as I understood most pros and cons of this merger from gathering information on my own. As a Fletcher resident, I feel this would be a good move for our town. Sometimes just because people don't feel the need to attend informational meetings doesn't necessarily mean they are going to vote "no".  It could mean they are already informed enough in their own opinon and are ready to vote the way they want to.  This sure will be an interesting vote on November 8th.
rod anode
: 1141

meathead,: dead from the neck up!

« #5 : September 29, 2011, 04:41:38 PM »

but yet you guys refused to have an aussie vote now your gonna be stuck with it  ,i just cant figure you people out??????????
swilliam
: 47

« #6 : September 29, 2011, 05:24:31 PM »

Ed - I voted for the "aussie" vote!  The merger works for me!
FletcherGram
: 103

« #7 : September 29, 2011, 05:47:34 PM »

Isn't there another informational meeting to be held in Fletcher prior to THE vote?
The lady between Karen & Jim, I believe is Amy Cardinal. The lady in the long sleeve maroon-ish colored shirt is a member of the Fletcher Selectboard.
I thought the meeting in Fairfax was for Fairfax residents and the one in Fletcher..... well you get my point!  Similar to swilliams comment, just because
you don't go to a meeting  doesn't mean you aren't keeping yourself  informed about a subject, no matter which way you vote.

Does anyone know how many people on the Merger Committee ARE NOT educators? Chris S?   5:2 representation on a merged School Board, hmmmmmmmm!!?? I would
be very surprised if Fairfax residents voted yes to the merge. There really isn't any benefit to them or the students. Would the 6th grade teacher really want to teach at BFA??
Limit H S choice?? Many things still to consider.

To rod anode--please don't even try to figure 'us people' out. You'd never understand and that's ok with me.
mkr
Administrator

« #8 : September 29, 2011, 05:51:38 PM »

Next Meetings:

Fairfax/Fletcher Public Merger Information Meetings - CORRECTION

« on: September 19, 2011, 02:02:52 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please note that some inaccurate information has been circulated about upcoming Fairfax/Fletcher Merger Community Information meetings. A couple of dates were changed and there was an unfortunate typo in the Fairfax information flyer. We apologize for the confusion and appreciate your patience. Below is a full schedule of all upcoming merger meetings - please disregard any others you may have seen.

•SEPTEMBER 28TH: Fairfax/Fletcher Joint Community Informational Meeting on Merger (6:30pm @ BFA Fairfax Multi-Purpose Room)
•NOVEMBER 2ND: Fairfax Public Informational Meeting (6:30pm @ Fairfax Elementary Gym)
•NOVEMBER 3RD: Fletcher Public Informational Meeting (6:30pm @ Fletcher Elementary Gym)

We hope you will join us and become informed about this important topic! For more information, please contact Natasha Wheel at nwheel@fwsu.org

mkr
Administrator

« #9 : September 29, 2011, 05:58:16 PM »

FletcherGram  - Now don't be going and judging us Fairfax folks either. :-) 

I see the opportunities it has for the students and the cost is not falling on my shoulders in taxes anymore than it already is. 

Why wouldn't the 6th grade teacher want to come teach in Fairfax??

The 5:2 ratio is based on the census and if Fletcher increases in population, when the next census comes out, this could change and Fletcher could increase their number of members on the board.
« : September 29, 2011, 06:19:40 PM mkr »

roadkill
: 80

« #10 : September 29, 2011, 07:39:03 PM »

I rent in Fairfax therefore the outcome will not neccesarily effect me financially either way. I will vote. I am weary when the state says their going to give a reduced tax rate for 4 years. What happens after 4 years? I could have gone to the meeting and asked this question but chose not too. Also, What about maintenance? Will the Fletcher tax payers be responsible for paying for a new roof on the fairfax school or vice versa? Why is Georgia not on board with this? The 3 schools have consolidated bookkeepers, corriculum coordinators, building and grounds and soon to be transportation. Between Fairfax and Fletcher alone they are paying in my best estimate 70% of these peoples salaries. Are these 2 schools receiving 70% of the services they are paying for?  In the area of maintenance they are not. I like the idea of shared teaching, resourses, lower taxes and better learning oppurtunities but I must question the maintenance responsibilities carried forward in this merger since I have read nothing about this.
rod anode

« #11 : September 30, 2011, 03:59:55 AM »

fletchergram are you a trustfund baby?
mkr
Administrator

« #12 : September 30, 2011, 08:17:34 AM »

roadkill, I can tell you they said Georgia wished to keep their school choice for high school and did not want to merge for that reason.

As for maintenance and repairs.  The question was asked about Fletcher ad the answer was the school was in great shae, they were adding roof ventilation and they have a capital fund for that.  As for future issues for either school, I would suggest emailing Natasha Wheel at nwheel@fwsu.org and asking the question.

As for the FWSU, Georgia is still apart of it; they stated in the meeting.  As for exact costs each town pays, I do not know that answer and you could ask Natasha as well.

GamingWeasel
: 184

« #13 : September 30, 2011, 02:24:44 PM »

Rod, if you're going to start calling people names like a child, I suggest you get out of the discussion.

Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
rod anode

« #14 : September 30, 2011, 04:11:15 PM »

weasel can i call you weasel? that is not name calling that is a status ,a figment of your imagination,a clerical error,a designation,a position in society but that is not name calling
: [1] 2  
« previous next »
: