Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:03:37 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Weed's Music Still Sterling
« previous next »
: [1]
: Weed's Music Still Sterling  ( 5868 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : September 25, 2011, 08:34:31 AM »

This great article about Mr. Weed appeared in this weekend's St. Albans Messenger.  For those of you that are former Sterling Weed Students, if you would like to buy a souvenir copy, and the local stores no longer have copies, if you contact The St. Albans Messenger Office on North Main Street in St. Albans, I am sure you can get a copy there.

Dinner, dance tribute next Friday evening
 By ANN HAWKSBY
Messenger Correspondent

ST. ALBANS — Weed’s Imperial Orchestra will have its audience stepping back into a piece of history during the Sterling Weed Tribute Gala slated for next Friday at the St. Albans Historical Museum.

“Close your eyes and pretend you were on the S.S. Ticonderoga in the 1930s listening to his orchestra,” said Al Perry, who as a drummer played with Sterling Weed from the mid 90s until the time of Weed’s death in 2005. Perry’s wife, Marcia, was a pianist with the orchestra for six of those years as well.

Al Perry, who prefers playing music to listening, described playing with Weed’s orchestra as “a special treat,” in that he could see so many people enjoying their music and dancing to it.

“Sterling Weed’s ‘book’ as we called it was mostly Swing music featuring music from the 20’s and 30’s and then into the 50’s and 60’s,” Perry said referring to the collection of sheet music that Weed left to the St. Albans Historical Museum in his will.

“It is such a wonderful resource, there are at least 1,000 orchestrations each for as many as 10 to 12 instruments, which is really quite remarkable,” said Perry. “It is a pretty rare find.”

Madeline "Maddy" Howard, 90, of St. Albans, remembers sailing out of Burlington on the side-paddle-wheel steamboat S. S. Ticonderoga for dinner with her parents, and the Sterling Weed Imperial Orchestra was playing.

"I was just a teenager at the time, and I can still remember how impressed I was," said Howard. "It was really quite special," she added.

The Sterling Weed Tribute Gala will be held in the Robert G. Bliss Memorial Auditorium at the St. Albans Historical Museum, located on the corner of Church and Bishop Streets by Taylor Park. The gala is a benefit for the museum and its programs.

It begins with a cocktail reception at 6 pm, followed by a dinner buffet catered by Jeff’s Maine Seafood, and the music and dancing from 7 to 9:30 pm.

Weed was a St. Albans native, who immersed himself in a musical career from age 14 up until just a few weeks before his death at age 104, making him the oldest bandleader in the nation at that time.

Known as Vermont’s “Music Man of the 20th Century,” Weed taught more than 4,000 students, and performed before an estimated 1 million people. In his career he was honored by President George H.W. Bush and again by President Bill Clinton, as well as U.S. senators and representatives, and by Vermont governors.

The Vermont Arts Council honored Weed with the prestigious Walter Cerf Award for Lifetime Achievement in the Arts.

Virginia Bessette, who played saxophone with Weed’s orchestra for nearly 25 years vividly recalls the evening the New York Times wanted an interview.

“We were playing in Montpelier, and we were told some reporter from the “Times” wanted to talk with us,” Bessette said. “Well naturally we thought it was the Times Argus, only to find out it was really the New York Times, she added.

“Imagine how we felt - a band from St. Albans being interviewed for a New York Times article!”

Bessette said she was fortunate enough to have played with the orchestra on the beautiful Ticonderoga when it was in Shelburne, and she played with the Bellows Free Academy High School Band on the vessel’s very last cruise.

Standing in the Sterling D. Weed Memorial Music Room, surrounded by Weed’s uniforms, instruments, photographs, and memorabilia, St. Albans Museum President Warren Hamm and museum director Ally McDonald looked up at the tall glass-doored bookcase stacked full of Weed’s musical orchestrations.

“There truly has to be thousands of pieces in there,” said McDonald, his eyes still fixed on the timeless collection of Weed’s lifelong love. Hamm had no doubt that Weed had tweaked many, if not all of the sheets to suit his style.

During her interview Bessette remembered how Weed meticulously cared for his collection. “Every night it was a major thing to have the music back in all the cases; it was a real priority,” Bessette said.

Hamm’s eyes wandered over to the photos of the St. Albans and BFA, Fairfax high school bands that Weed had led.

“He taught just about everybody in the city to play. He taught me to play the piccolo,” Hamm said, smiling as he found himself and a few of his schooldays friends in one of the photos.

Weed also taught at schools in Enosburg, Franklin, Milton and Swanton. He directed the BFA- St. Albans Symphony, St. Mary’s School Symphony, the St. Albans Adult Civic Symphony, the St. Albans Boys Band, and the Enosburg Town Band.

Bessette, who soon turns 72, took her first lessons with Weed when she was just eight. During grades 5, 6, 7 and 8 she played with the BFA High School Band and continued until she graduated and went off to college.

When she returned after a number of years she was delighted to join Weed’s Imperial Orchestra, playing tenor saxophone.

The last 10-15 years she moved up to a lead alto player, and doubled on the clarinet.

“When Sterling’s eyesight went I took over his lead parts,” Bessette recalled. “He continued to play, but he memorized all his parts. He was just an amazing person and musician.”

Bessette will not be able to play with the Sterling Weed Imperial Orchestra this time, but wishes the other musicians well.

Taking the stage here next Friday and encouraging all to dance will be band members: Jo Anne Scott, alto saxophone; Jim Shepard, tenor saxophone; Michael McGovern, trumpet; Dick Toof, trumpet; Christopher Comstock, trombone; David Ashley, tuba; Marcia Perry, piano; and Al Perry, drums.

Meredith Gillian said she is hoping to play trumpet for at least a few songs, one of which was Weed’s favorite, “Let me Call You Sweetheart.”

Gillian, played with the orchestra for 20 years, and had also been Weed’s caregiver for 13 years. She had taken lessons from him starting in the sixth grade.

“I was so glad when he asked me to play in the orchestra,” she said. “I had been one of his students all the way through school.”

Gillian also plays a number of other instruments, and similar to Weed, music is her life.

She said that Weed, who never had children of his own, used to say, “This is my music family, and these are my children.”

Eric Bushey, who heads the instrumental music program at BFA, and who had played with Weed’s orchestra for eight years, now holds the baton.

“I’ve worked really hard to find members that had played with him, and we play gratis,” he said. “There is just no opportunity to play with such a fine group of musicians, and to play this collection. I love dusting off that music and bringing it to life.”

When asked how if felt to lead the Sterling Weed Imperial Orchestra, Bushey simply replied: “Mr. Weed will always be our leader.”

--  --  --

Tickets ($30 for museum members, $35 for nonmembers) for Friday’s Sterling Weed Gala Tribute can be purchased online www.stamuseuk.com/events.html

« : September 26, 2011, 10:13:20 AM Henry »

Henry Raymond
Henry
Administrator

« #1 : September 25, 2011, 09:11:04 AM »

Dick Brown & Mike Cain - Can you help me out with the years that Mr. Weed was here in Fairfax - Did he also teach in the other schools mentioned in the article at the same time??  I believe in one of the earlier posts that Dick said he started being the band leader here around 1940.

Henry Raymond
Dick Brown
: 414

« #2 : September 25, 2011, 11:57:56 AM »

Henry    The only definite date that I can give you is the ending of his teaching career at BFA which occurred on June 30 , 1973 . Bruce McRae was hired to fill his position and began teaching as the second Band Director in BFA's history when school opened in late August of that year. I would think that many in the community ( for example , perhaps Larry Leach who was in the elementary grades  at the time of the fire in 1941 and ended up going to classes in a different location until the school was rebuilt ) might be able to provide you a starting date for Mr. Weed .
For all the tributes he received through the years , and there were deservedly many , I know that his teaching years in Fairfax and the accomplishments  of the students he taught there were among the most meaningful memories he had , and he related this to me numerous times in conversations that we had on the streets of St. Albans .       
Luap
: 26

« #3 : September 25, 2011, 12:45:03 PM »

I believe that Mr. Weed started in the 40's but he was the second music directer for BFA.  The first was Rev. G. W. Russell.  It was known as an orchestra at that time. 
Dick Brown

« #4 : September 25, 2011, 04:20:11 PM »

I'm sure that the previous posting is correct , he was hired by BFA in the 40's.....the question would be what specific year and certainly there are those residents around who were in his first classes or are aware when he started . Neither Sterling or Laura Hubbert ( choral ) wanted to have the title of Music Director and so they became known  for their teaching specialty in the faculty handbooks , and when Bruce was hired , he also was in charge of instrumental and band direction , replacing Sterling's role and leaving the choral instruction to Mrs. Hubbert and her successors.
A sad note ( no pun intended ) was that both Sterling and Laura both were finally given a music room for their instruction as a result of the 1960 addition , but it was a renovated  coal storage unit with poor acoustics . ( When I started teaching at BFA in 1962 , they were both happy to have that space , and never to my knowledge spent time complaining about it . ) By the time we built the 1973 addition with a new music area , both Sterling and Laura were finishing up their teaching careers at BFA ,and didn't have the luxury of spending their professional lives in space designed for music only .
Dick Brown

« #5 : September 26, 2011, 10:48:51 AM »

Henry    If they're still around ( last time I saw them was many years ago in the vault in the Town Clerk's Office in the 1941 addition ) , the School Registers from the 1940's should list Sterling's name as a school employee . Back in the day ,every school district was required by the State to keep these yearly logs  and the Clerk of the School Board along with the Superintendent of Schools was required to sign off on the listed items .
Perhaps Lena ( Asst. Town Clerk in the 1970's ) would remember them and also what happened to those Registers .
Henry
Administrator

« #6 : September 26, 2011, 10:59:35 AM »

Dick,  They used to be in the vault, but someone down at the Town Office told me the school asked for them back - They were salvaged by Donna and placed in the vault and I used them quite often in my Genealogy Research for the Town.  Don't know where they are over at school, but sure hope they don't decide to throw them out again.  They go way back to when BFA was built in 1905 and include the 3 one room schools in North Fairfax until they closed them.

Henry Raymond
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #7 : September 27, 2011, 11:02:58 AM »

It would be nice if the old records could be stored and accessed through the library.  I do hope they do not attempt to throw them out again.
« : September 27, 2011, 11:26:58 AM mkr »

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
: [1]  
« previous next »
: