Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:08:42 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Fun new page on facebook
« previous next »
: [1]
: Fun new page on facebook  ( 3774 )
treebeard34
: 103

« : August 12, 2011, 10:25:21 AM »

https://www.facebook.com/groups/185323231533115/#!/groups/185323231533115
« : August 12, 2011, 10:50:36 AM Henry »

Mark Teague
Suzy
: 429

« #1 : August 21, 2011, 05:01:38 PM »

We were talking about how we used to get out of school early on Wednesdays and go skiing at Smuggler's Notch.  What a great thing that was!  It got a lot of kids skiing who otherwise would not have had the chance.  I think I only got to go in fifth grade, and then they stopped doing it.  Mr. Brown, are you out there?  How did that program get started, and why did it stop?  Thanks, Sooz
Dick Brown
: 414

« #2 : August 21, 2011, 09:02:25 PM »

Suzy         I agree with you in that it was a wonderful program  which included low cost rentals, beginning lessons and use of all three mountains at Smugs ,depending upon one's ability . The school provided bus transportation , chaperons ( both teachers & parents ) , had it's own rules and conditions for students who participated and the school's health insurance was offered to the students for a small cost for those whose parents could not afford ito carry their own .   So , if our students followed Smuggler Rules , had good grades , followed conditions laid down by the school and spent time skiing when at the slopes  ( not sitting in the cafeteria ) , it was terrific for them . The Ski Area got a lot of future Season Passes out of it .  As I remember , it was shut down by Smuggler's Notch itself to all schools in the area who followed the same program guidelines  because of their Insurance Company's concerns about their liability . As you probably remember , it had both positive and negative reactions throughout the community , but the School Board never wavered in it's vision of the program as a life-long learning venture . In addition , we ( as a school ) had zero discipline problems within it. I remembered it as beginning in the middle school and extending throughout the high school , and can't remember lower grade elementary students being involved . Also , Smugs was the one who came to us with a request for our school to join an already strong program back in the middle 70's , I think , which was fortunate because no one had to develop an individual one for BFA.  I think Jay Mountain did the same for schools in their area , and so did Bolton .
David Shea
: 471

« #3 : August 22, 2011, 07:27:51 AM »

Fletcher Elementary has a program with Smugglers where kids are in school 1/2 day on Friday and the other at the mountain.  Not sure what has changed in the insurance arena.
Suzy
: 429

« #4 : August 22, 2011, 10:04:40 AM »

Thanks for all the answers!  I wondered how it could have happened with insurance involved.  I think it broadened the world for a lot of kids, as well as taught them a healthy sport.  We've been having a blast on the "Things I remember about growing up in Fairfax," FB page with many walks, (and laughs!) down Memory Lane! 
Suzy
: [1]  
« previous next »
: