Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 05:43:34 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Vt. Supreme Court approves St. Albans Wal-Mart
« previous next »
: [1]
: Vt. Supreme Court approves St. Albans Wal-Mart  ( 6342 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : August 05, 2011, 03:11:34 PM »

The Vermont Supreme Court Friday gave the go-ahead for construction of a Walmart in St. Albans. The proposal has been a contentious Franklin County issue since 1993.

The high court upheld a January 2010 decision by the Vermont Environmental Court.

The nearly 147,000 square-foot store would be built off Interstate 89, Exit 20, near the Price Chopper supermarket and the Swanton town line.

Click on the following link for more:
http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/article/20110805/NEWS02/110805003/Vt-Supreme-Court-approves-St-Albans-Wal-Mart?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

Henry Raymond
Judi
: 508

« #1 : August 05, 2011, 03:14:52 PM »

Henry, I just finished reading this on line at the BFP and came here and sure enough you have it posted already, great work! I am sure this thread will get a lot of comments in favor of this long awaited decision. Woo Hoo!!
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #2 : August 05, 2011, 03:21:58 PM »

I am quite happy myself.  Both my younger sister and I don't like driving in Burlington as we get older - Having this in St. Albans will be a help to us, although I have to admit I don't actually go to Walmart's that often.  Thank God, Finally

Henry Raymond
Judi
: 508

« #3 : August 05, 2011, 03:47:01 PM »

I would rather travel to St. Albans than Williston any day and it will be so nice to have a store with a lot of variety in one place, certainly saves on gas when you don't have to run all over the place. I will continue to shop at the stores I frequent in St albans so they are not taking away my business from anyone else.
Cat

« #4 : August 05, 2011, 03:49:03 PM »

It's about time...yeah!
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #5 : August 06, 2011, 03:08:53 AM »

Does the State of Vermont enforce the regulations of what you would think the DEC would enforce?

The State of Alaska took over that role a few years back and it has gotten much much better here.

When I was working in Palmer I was the SWPPP person for the job.
I am "certified" but that was my 1st job where I was suppose to enforce it and maintain it.
I had NO clue what I was doing.

I had a pop inspection by AK DEC and was nailed on a few items, all paper work.
BUT, the inspectors were helpful on telling me what they look for paperwork wise, showed me how to correct it, and over looked any fines that I may have had.

I was honest and upfront with them that I had never administered a SWPPP,  but I was trying to keep the area clean and just using common sense.

I know the old adage is that "We are here from the govt and we are here to help you".
But I say, "if you don't BS them, they WILL help you" They helped me.

My Palmer SWPPP book looks like a master piece.
If you are ever in Palmer and go to the CARRs store, ask to see the SWPPP book.....It's pretty.

When I am in doubt with "authority", I play DUMB.

For some reason I pull it off.?
Go figure?

THREAD JACK....
« : August 06, 2011, 03:13:09 AM Mike Raburn »
Dick Brown
: 414

« #6 : August 06, 2011, 06:02:52 AM »

The thing is , contrary to the negative projections by the vocal minority , this particular Wal-Mart  will most likely bring more shoppers to St. Albans City and the few downtown retail stores left , because , as in Williston now , they will make purchases in other adjacent stores simply because those ( the other stores ) will be available..... whereas now  , I would speculate ,  the flow of potential retail cash from consumers pretty much goes to Chittenden County .     
cedarman
: 370

« #7 : August 08, 2011, 07:19:32 AM »

I think the fact that this has been "in the works" since 1993 says a LOT about the ability of businesses to grow/expand in VT and the ability of a VERY small group of individuals to use the environmental rules VT has available to prevent building most things.

I don't hold it against the local business individuals who put up the fight.  Most people who fear for their futures do whatever they believe is necessary to protect their way of life.

Personally, I don't care one way or the other if there is a Wal Mart in St. Albans.  I've always been able to find pretty much everything I need around the area without a trip south.

I AM concerned about our future here in VT.  In this case, the land developer has been persistent, but in the case of most other businesses, especially those businesses who actually manufacture items, they would just look to build elsewhere because a 15+ year fight to build in one specific area (or state)  is just not a good business plan.  I wonder how many jobs our area and state in general have lost in the name of "protecting our scenic views" or whatever other excuses are provided.
David Shea
: 471

« #8 : August 08, 2011, 08:41:10 AM »

I have made it a point to boycott the businesses that have fought Wall Mart.  I used to buy at Hudak's Garden Stand in St. Albans.  I will never again spend a nickel at their establishment.
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #9 : August 08, 2011, 12:12:47 PM »

Dave, I am so there with you!  I would not go to Hudak's if they paid me.  Mr. Brown says exactly what I have been saying all these years.  Canadiens drive right by St. Alban's and head to Williston.  This traffic alone has a huge impact on the community's revenue.

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
khort
: 149

« #10 : August 08, 2011, 01:29:41 PM »

Also, remember years ago we had two retail stores in St.Albans, Ames and Woolworths, and businesses survived. Having Walmart in town will make me more apt to shop at all the specialty shops while in town. Also, people will eat out and buy gas in town rather than in Williston. I am very pleased as I am sure many are!
mirjo
: 785

« #11 : August 09, 2011, 08:03:45 PM »

The simple fact that Wal-Mart fought for 18 years to get its way (i.e. a store in St. Albans) is proof that the corporation is a huge bully. There is no denying that St.Albans needs a discount department store, that's been a need since Ames closed its doors in what 97? The issue with Wal-Mart, for many who oppose it, is the fact that the company has to have things on its own terms. Perhaps there would have been much less hullaballoo over this if Wal-Mart had taken over the existing Ames space in Highgate Commons initially. But that didn't fit their image or profile or whatever. I don't know I'm not a Wal-Mart business plan expert. Yeah, they won, but at a great ridiculous expense. I'm happy for everyone who wanted this to occur. I don't shop at Wal-Mart enough to care if there is one in St. Albans or not, but will likely be glad the day I am in town and don't need to go in the other direction if I need something!

If the world gives you melons, you might be dyslexic
mirjo
: 785

« #12 : August 09, 2011, 08:15:49 PM »

The issue with Wal-Mart, for many who oppose it

What I meant to say is I believe the issue with Wal-Mart is... I can't speak for others, but you can't fight on a "he's a bully" platform.

If the world gives you melons, you might be dyslexic
: [1]  
« previous next »
: