Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:26:25 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  General
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  30 Years Ago This Month The Personal Computer Came Out
« previous next »
: [1]
: 30 Years Ago This Month The Personal Computer Came Out  ( 2706 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : August 02, 2011, 12:01:46 PM »

IBM put 12 Engineers in a room down in Boca Raton and told them to come up with a personal computer - That was in August, 1981.  I believe if I remember right that none of the parts were made by IBM, it was just assembled with all parts bought - I could be wrong, but that is how I remember it - Click on the link below to read more about that big life changing invention:

http://www.informationweek.com/byte/news/personal-tech/desktop-pc/231002983

Henry Raymond
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #1 : August 03, 2011, 01:33:44 AM »

I love that video of the kid disassembling and trying to ID the parts!

I like building my own computers and I thank goodness for all of those earlier minds that have made it easy on feeble minds like mine!

Try and find a floppy disc drive now.

I just read where optical drives, CD and DVD, may be eliminated now.

Flash drives and external hard drives are so cheap and USB ports are a plenty.   

The media PC I built 2 years ago, I didn't get an optical drive, due to me having one external optical, that I use in-between my computers AND the two 1 TB external USB HDs I use also.

Thank you IBM'ers.

: [1]  
« previous next »
: