Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:28:10 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Junk! Junk! Junk! How to get rid of JUNK?
« previous next »
: [1] 2
: Junk! Junk! Junk! How to get rid of JUNK?  ( 12649 )
David Shea
: 471

« : July 15, 2011, 10:40:06 AM »

Greetings ,the Cub Scout Bear Den will be collecting unwanted metal junk as a way to make money to buy food for our upcoming camping trip.  This is not only a fund raiser, but an opportunity to teach the boys about appropriate methods of recycling larger metal items.  We will also show the boy how to identify different metals. The Scouts will be collecting metal items ( parents will help by supplying a dump trailer and pick up trucks ) on Satruday 7/23 or by appointment on an ongoing basis.  Please contact us to let us know that you are in need of our services, this will allow us to set up routes thus conserving time and fuel.

We will collect anything that has at least 60% metal content. Examples of items that we can take are:
  • Appliances: Stoves, Washers, Dryers, Wood Stoves, Refrigerators, Air Conditioners
  • Kitchen Items: Broken pots, pans, utensils, toasters, ( No microwave ovens please )
  • Kids Toys: Broken or unwanted bicycles, scooter, swing sets, pogo sticks, ect
  • Garage items: Shelves, nuts bolts, wire, engine parts, lawn mowers, riding mowers, springs, tools,
  • Yard items: Riding mower, motorcycles, snowmobiles,  farm machines, junk cars
  • Basement: copper pipes, furnace, boilers, 

If it is made of metal we w will take it.  E mail me at jdkshea@myfairpoint.net or call 802-782-2409 to schedule
« : July 15, 2011, 11:46:29 AM David Shea »
David Shea

« #1 : July 15, 2011, 11:42:50 AM »

A big thanks goes out to the first person to contact us to pick up their unwanted junk.  The donation of the swimming pool and lawn mower is an excellent start to our educational fundraiser. 

David Shea
Phone: 802-782-2409
Email: jdkshea@myfairpoint.net
David Shea

« #2 : July 15, 2011, 03:40:14 PM »

Thanks a million for the replies.  We are off to a good start!  I just contacted the scrap yard and they will be waiving the freon removal fee for appliances collected in this fundraiser.   Normally the fee for disposal of a fridge, freezer, AC or dehumidifier is $10.00 to $25.00 so if you have any of these items that you would like to dispose of to save yourselves some money and help us out at the same time it would be appreciated.

A big thanks goes out to Mark at All Metals Recycling for supporting the Cub Scouts!
Terri Santee
: 77

« #3 : July 15, 2011, 03:44:57 PM »

What a great way to raise money! Nice job Dave and Cub Scout Bear Den!
Travis
: 141

« #4 : July 15, 2011, 06:16:59 PM »

What a great way to raise money! Nice job Dave and Cub Scout Bear Den!

I agree. This is a great idea. You raise money, teach a lesson, and help the community all in one event. I'll see if I have anything for you and will hold on to all of the cans I normally put in the recycle bin until the 23rd.
David Shea

« #5 : July 15, 2011, 09:33:52 PM »

Terri & Travis,
Thank you for your kind words.  Scouting is a great way for young boys to learn about civic duty, respect for others, team work, self exploration and confidence building.
The boys are fortunate to have a very supportive community.  Thank you Fairfax for continuing to support the boys.
You are the best!

Sincerly,
David Shea
Assistant Cub Master
Pack 853
roadkill
: 80

« #6 : July 16, 2011, 04:48:49 AM »

Hey Dave, Great idea, Im sure we will be throwing some metal out at school very soon, come by and see me or call me, we might need a separate dumpster for you but Im sure some arrangement can be made, when i was a cub scout we had to eat bugs and roots, its so nice that things have gotten better.
mirjo
: 785

« #7 : July 16, 2011, 09:20:35 AM »

when i was a cub scout we had to eat bugs and roots, its so nice that things have gotten better.
  :D

It must have been a looong time ago, because things have been "better" for quite some time now!   ;-)

If the world gives you melons, you might be dyslexic
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #8 : July 17, 2011, 03:51:32 AM »

I thought, my 1st mistake, this was a riddle.

I would have said 5 gallons of gas.....my bad.
David Shea

« #9 : July 17, 2011, 10:57:19 AM »

Calls & E mails continue to come in!  We appreciate it very much.
roadkill
: 80

« #10 : July 18, 2011, 01:04:16 AM »

Hey Mrgo, Peace Dude, I never had to eat bugs as a cub scout but we did make Root Beer,
Travis

« #11 : July 18, 2011, 06:02:58 AM »

David, is there going to be a drop-off location, or will you guys be picking up everything? I wouldn't mind saving you some gas and dropping it off. Although at the rate I'm going, I might need you guys to pick it up because I don't have a truck. I've found quite a few items for you so far.
David Shea

« #12 : July 18, 2011, 08:34:49 AM »

We are planning on picking up but drop off can be arranged.  Please contact me directly on by email or phone to give me your information. 
Phone: 802-782-2409 or jdkshea@myfairpoint.net
This way your info is not public
Travis

« #13 : July 23, 2011, 01:24:28 PM »

Just a reminder that today is the day, but don't fret if you missed out on the opportunity. It sounds like the response has been very positive and they will be doing this much more often. I will let David fill you in with the details. Thank you David!
Rev. Elizabeth
: 1286

« #14 : July 23, 2011, 02:15:37 PM »

They came; they took!  Thank you very much for performing such a wonderful, helpful community service.
: [1] 2  
« previous next »
: