Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:12:02 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  General
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Fairpoint DSL available Buck Hollow & Rood Mill Rd intersection/area
« previous next »
: [1]
: Fairpoint DSL available Buck Hollow & Rood Mill Rd intersection/area  ( 7531 )
Zarnov
: 13

« : June 15, 2011, 04:40:40 PM »

I'm a little over a mile from the intersection and got hooked up today....
trussell
: 870

« #1 : June 15, 2011, 11:09:11 PM »

Congratulations! What kind of speeds are you getting? (www.speedtest.net)

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson
Trekr
: 140

« #2 : June 16, 2011, 06:07:02 AM »

We are hooked up to Fairpoint DSL at the Maple grove campground and have 1.5 M for speed.  After being hooked up for 8 days ,we were out for 6 days before they could get to us.
JoeT
: 100

« #3 : June 16, 2011, 07:56:27 AM »

man, we've been waiting a LONG time for this

we got hooked up on Monday:

14.5 Mb down
1.0 Mb up
Ping times typically way less than 30ms

Can't complain, beats the pants off dial up and satellite.
There are many places that have had DSL available for a while who can't get "15 meg" speeds because the equipment in their area is older.

Joe

fletchtb
: 310

« #4 : June 16, 2011, 08:20:18 AM »

Joe - Are you guys paying for 14Mbps or do you expect that number to go down as customers are hooked up in that location?

I recently had my GlobalNet service upgraded to 7Mbps (for $45/mo) and I have been pretty happy with it. I am getting download speeds in the 5-8+ Mbps (typically 6+) range and upload speeds from 1-4 Mbps (typiclay in the 2s).

I am only committed to GlobalNet until September and Fairpoint is going to begin offering DSL for customers near the phone switch in front of the General Store either at the end of this month or early next.

I will have to figure out which option is best for our household.

Welcome to the world of high speed internet at home! Fire up the Netflix!!!
trussell

« #5 : June 16, 2011, 10:42:04 AM »

Fletch, which Globalnet tower are you running off of?  I'm pointing toward the Essex one and when I hooked up last year the best they could do was "about 3.0" but they said that was purely because of the equipment installed there and that they were hoping to upgrade.  I'm curious if that happened...

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson
fletchtb
: 310

« #6 : June 16, 2011, 10:48:15 AM »

I am pointed to the Mount Mansfield tower which was recently upgraded to support 7 Mbps speeds (up from their old 3 Mbps Gold Plan).

They had to install a new antenna on my house as well in order for me to receive the signal.
trussell

« #7 : June 16, 2011, 12:34:20 PM »

Cool.  I'll give them a call and see if I can upgrade.  Thanks!

JoeT
: 100

« #8 : June 16, 2011, 02:15:39 PM »

Yes, we are paying for a "15Mb" service. 
The average speed is around 15Mb (technically we are getting over 17Mb but there is overhead that eats into the usable total).

Joe

Joe - Are you guys paying for 14Mbps or do you expect that number to go down as customers are hooked up in that location?

I recently had my GlobalNet service upgraded to 7Mbps (for $45/mo) and I have been pretty happy with it. I am getting download speeds in the 5-8+ Mbps (typically 6+) range and upload speeds from 1-4 Mbps (typiclay in the 2s).

I am only committed to GlobalNet until September and Fairpoint is going to begin offering DSL for customers near the phone switch in front of the General Store either at the end of this month or early next.

I will have to figure out which option is best for our household.

Welcome to the world of high speed internet at home! Fire up the Netflix!!!
Zarnov
: 13

« #9 : June 16, 2011, 05:18:39 PM »

Yup, 15 down and 1 up.  On Globalnet, I had their fastest plan (up to 3mbps) and I was SOMETIMES getting incredible speeds.  When the Fairpoint tech was hooking up DSL I got 14 down and 10 up for Globalnet  (off Mt. Mansfield, and with the larger satellite style dish on my roof,).  The problem was it was very inconsistent, and about 3 times per hour it would go out completely for approx 3-5 minutes.  That fluctuation was not allowing me to use Netflix streaming or Xbox gaming.  Tested Netflix streaming with new DSL and got full HD.  The Fairpoint tech also said that each person has a their own direct connection to the transfer station (or whatever it's called) down on Rood Mill Rd.  So even if my neighbor gets DSL, it shouldn't slow down.  Hopefully, that's the case.

Also, I have a few months left on Globalnet's contract, but it's prorated, so the penalty shouldn't be too much.
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #10 : June 17, 2011, 01:20:18 AM »

THOSE SPEEDS ARE CRAZY FOR DSL!!!

Good for you ALL!

Welcome to the 21st century Fairfax, congrats!!!!

Yup, 15 down and 1 up.  On Globalnet, I had their fastest plan (up to 3mbps) and I was SOMETIMES getting incredible speeds.  When the Fairpoint tech was hooking up DSL I got 14 down and 10 up for Globalnet  (off Mt. Mansfield, and with the larger satellite style dish on my roof,).  The problem was it was very inconsistent, and about 3 times per hour it would go out completely for approx 3-5 minutes.  That fluctuation was not allowing me to use Netflix streaming or Xbox gaming.  Tested Netflix streaming with new DSL and got full HD.  The Fairpoint tech also said that each person has a their own direct connection to the transfer station (or whatever it's called) down on Rood Mill Rd.  So even if my neighbor gets DSL, it shouldn't slow down.  Hopefully, that's the case.

Also, I have a few months left on Globalnet's contract, but it's prorated, so the penalty shouldn't be too much.
: [1]  
« previous next »
: