Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:07:39 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Political Issues/Comments
| | |-+  BFA-Fairfax youth are the sort that make you proud
« previous next »
: [1]
: BFA-Fairfax youth are the sort that make you proud  ( 2976 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : September 23, 2006, 09:39:06 AM »

BFA-Fairfax youth are the sort that make you proud

On Wednesday, I had an opportunity to attend a presentation by " Tongues Untied", a BFA-Fairfax student group. The discussion focused on violent video games and the impact they have on the minds of young people. Contrary to what we are seeing and reading about during this year's political campaign, these students presented carefully thought out positions for their peers and the adults in the audience and listened respectfully and thoughtfully to those of others. The students placed the discussion of the effect of video game violence in the context of the basic functioning of a Democracy - the balance between rights and responsibilities.  That is, how to limit the negative effects of these games while protecting freedom of citizens to make decisions in their private lives. How to encourage desired behaviors and discourage undesired behaviors without intruding into the private lives of families. How to decide at which point protection of citizens becomes control of citizens.

These students were dealing with the very essence of a democratic society and the core issue of making public policy in a diverse society. I applaud the efforts of Julie Benay and Rick Potash to create the opportunity for students to examine these issues and to Gov. Douglas and Carolyn Branagan for giving serious students an audience that made their work meaningful in a real life manner. They were given the real life experience of trying to balance differing, yet valid concerns.

This is the real job of public officials who must consider and represent the different points of view that voters have. The more fairly these views are considered the more likely public policy will improve the quality of life for all. In fact, the larger the district, and the more different the views, the more likely that a Representative will be willing to work for the common interests of all and reject those interests that would seek to  benefit at the expense of others. The temptation for some officials is to support only the majority interests or the immediate concerns of their party. This is not the course that BFA students took. They recognized that all views must be considered and a choice made that best reflects the interest of all if it is to be an accepted public policy.

Gary Gilbert
Candidate for Vermont House of Representative
Georgia/Fairfax

Henry Raymond
: [1]  
« previous next »
: