Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:00:16 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  General
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Fairpoint DSL speed struggles
« previous next »
: [1]
: Fairpoint DSL speed struggles  ( 5906 )
JLB
: 56

« : April 03, 2011, 07:44:04 PM »

Anyone else having a hard time with the speed of Fairpoint's DSL service.  It seems on the weekends, especially in the afternoons, the service slows down to a snails pace.  Fairpoint tech support says not much they can do.   We are at the end of the line and not capable of signing up for a higher speed.   Kind of crazy excuse I think.  We are 2 miles from the village, on the Fletcher Road.

What are the alternatives?  Globalnet, Comcast? 

Anyone have SoVerNet?   How has the experience been?

Thanks!!!

JLB
Zarnov
: 13

« #1 : April 03, 2011, 08:25:07 PM »

Hmm.  I was hoping to switch to Fairpoint DSL when we can get it in my area (Woodward Rd area).  I have Globalnet now.  I think they increased their speed about 3 weeks ago.  The problem I have with it is that once in awhile the connection drops out completely.  I have not talked to tech support about it yet...since it's intermittent, it's not really a huge problem.  I just did a speed test: 3.19 Mbps down / 2.10 Mbps up, which is about average lately.
trussell
: 870

« #2 : April 03, 2011, 09:37:29 PM »

I've been happy with Global Net.  Although I typically only get 1.0-1.5 download speed, it's sufficient for me to work from home via a VPN connection, access the company network, and even use my internet-based "desk" phone through my computer.  I've only had occasional drops in service and when I do, I just go Eastman's bakery for a break and it's fine when I get back!

Global Net has given me excellent service and tech support as well.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson
Corm
: 65

« #3 : April 04, 2011, 05:29:03 AM »

I have been experiencing the same degraded service concerns with my Fairpoint DSL service as JLB has. I live on Wilkins Road. I've had DSL service here for several years, and it has always been very good up till the last couple of months or so. There are times here where it isn't any faster, maybe not as fast as, dial up service. If this continues, I'll be looking elsewhere for my internet service.

Corm
Willinreach
: 33

« #4 : April 04, 2011, 12:37:39 PM »

I see there is a new switch box installed on Fletcher road, across the road from Swamp Road...  I have been experiencing slow speeds at time as well and sometimes it goes out.  From what I have heard from talking to customer service, speeds should increase when they are done with their work...  Keeping my fingers crossed.
David Shea
: 471

« #5 : April 04, 2011, 01:03:33 PM »

Speeds are good for Fairpoint during the day and late at night.  I have a neighbor who told me that he loves DSL because he is able to stream Net Flicks. 

Funny thing is he and his family are not home during the days.  I have concluded that my speed issues revolve around my neighbor using a lot of bandwidth when he is home and watching Net Flicks.

When I notice my connection speed is not what I expect it to be, I re boot the computer & shut off the modem for 5 minutes.  It may just be in my head, but when I get back to the computer it seems faster.
markdrapa
: 19

« #6 : April 04, 2011, 09:48:04 PM »

to test your speed, you can try any of these free speedtests...

http://www.speedtest.net
    http://ookla.com/speedtest.php

You should see roughly the speed which you pay for, and--for DSL at least--it should be fairly constant no matter what your neighbors are doing. 

I have used both Comcast cable and Fairpoint DSL, and have always gotten the correct speeds during all tests over the last few years.  If you aren't, then you can document the time/conditions and take it up with your provider. 

Also, if you see a speedup at reboot, you may have other issues at play on your machine.

: [1]  
« previous next »
: