Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:59:37 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Can You Identify This Bird Photo That John Schraven Took??
« previous next »
: [1]
: Can You Identify This Bird Photo That John Schraven Took??  ( 7114 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : March 27, 2011, 08:31:41 PM »

I am sure Maryann would have been able to identify this bird for me - She loved to watch them through the picture window.  She had her bird books right beside her chair, but I put them all away several months ago.  Very nice photos John:

Henry Raymond
Judi
: 508

« #1 : March 28, 2011, 05:48:54 AM »

Is it a cedar wax wing? I didn't know they had tails that color so I am not sure but the head looks like one.
Henry
Administrator

« #2 : March 28, 2011, 07:46:53 AM »

Kathy Day sent me the following note on the bird:

"Good morning Henry!

I believe the bird you are trying to identify is a female cardinal- she's very pretty.  The photographer took some excellent pictures!

Kathy"

Henry Raymond
sweetpeakt
: 43

« #3 : March 28, 2011, 10:20:09 AM »

John always take such nice and clear photos.  What kind of camera does he have I wonder...
Scott
: 152

« #4 : March 28, 2011, 10:22:35 AM »

Looks great!
John, what are you shooting with?
Do you have a Flickr?

Regards,
Scott
tweetie1
: 71

« #5 : March 28, 2011, 11:03:35 AM »

I just sent this post to a friend in St. Albans and this is what she emailed me back..

I have cedar waxwings come to the feeders and this one didn’t quite look like it, so I cheated and checked my bird book. This little beauty is called a bohemian waxwing. Quite colorful and the wind stripes are outstanding. Thanks for sharing. I’ll keep my eyes out for one that might stop by my feeders.
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #6 : March 28, 2011, 11:17:36 AM »

Beautiful photos!  Mom would have loved them.  Everytime I would see a bird that I thought was pretty, I would describe it and she would either be able to tell me right off or look in her book.  She really enjoyed the feeders outside the picture window and we had quite the crew of humming birds, which she absolutley loved.

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
mirjo
: 785

« #7 : March 29, 2011, 02:31:37 PM »

@judi I believe it is a cedar waxwing, though it's a little bit lighter in color overall and the tail is exceptionally bright. The beak of a cardinal is shaped differently, but the color is similar. :-)

If the world gives you melons, you might be dyslexic
JAS
: 41

« #8 : March 30, 2011, 10:42:22 AM »

Hi Everyone. I was wondering if it was a bohemian or cedar waxwing. If someone looked it up in the bird book, I am going with Bohemian Waxwing.

I shoot with a Nikon D300s. That day I was using a 70-300 telephoto. I do not yet have a flickr page. Henry has many of the pictures I have taken here on the website under the heading "Ordinary Roads".
I will  be posting upcomng pictures from walking on my website www.pondermountain.com
Scott
: 152

« #9 : March 30, 2011, 12:19:50 PM »

I knew it was a Nikon. I have a D80 that I love!
Nice bokeh in those shots.

Regards,
Scott
Henry
Administrator

« #10 : March 30, 2011, 03:14:50 PM »

Lynda Goldsmith sent me the following information.

Google "Bohemian Waxwing Vermont" and you will see that this boreal species has been increasingly showing up in Vermont, sometimes in large flocks, though it used to be rare. The Sibley Guide to Birds shows the cedar and Bohemian waxwings side by side and notes these identifying features of the latter:

"little or no white on forehead"   check - "rufous tinged face"  - "grayish belly"  not obvious in John's sunlit photos -
"white tips on wing feathers"   - "rufous undertail coverts"   

Although the color of the belly appears more like that of the cedar waxwing, the other features are dead giveaways.

You won't see this bird at your feeder; it's a fruit eater. Beautiful
photos, John!

Lynda

Henry Raymond
: [1]  
« previous next »
: