Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 02:14:31 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  MEET HENRY'S HAIR STYLIST
« previous next »
: [1]
: MEET HENRY'S HAIR STYLIST  ( 5707 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : November 12, 2005, 07:49:48 PM »

Hi all,
Back in 1954 young Andy Rocheleau started working as a barber in a barber shop on Bank Street in St. Albans.  In 1957, next door to the old Hardware Store, here in Fairfax, he opened Andy's Barber Shop.  This is an apartment now.  This barbershop was the center of activity for many of us younger guys and the most popular topic was cars as the 1950s was the time when big changes were being made.

Andy remained at that location for a number of years, then moved his business to the small building this side of Mill Brook, just North of Vermont Food Ventures where he remained until 1971.  He then moved his business to Milton.

Andy now has a part time business in the cellar of his home on Fairfax Street in St. Albans.

Shown above as you can see are calendars with photos of cars, much unlike the very popular 57 Chevys back in the late 1950s

The popular straight razor is no longer used to trim around the ears for fear of the infection with Aids and although the familiar brush is used ocasionally to brush the hair off your face, a small vacuum cleaner is now used to gather the hair in the back of your shirt collar.

Even though it has been more than 50 years that Andy has been my Hair Stylist, he still always asks, "The Usual?"

For old times, and for this photo I asked Andy if he would use the ever popular flat-top tool today.  Although he never mentioned it, I suspect not much hair was sticking up through the grid to be trimmed.

In those early years I used to get my hair cut every two weeks, while now I get it cut about every eight weeks and Andy still doesn't have to sweep up much hair when I leave.  Andy will be 79 this coming February and still enjoys talking about the wonderful days he spent as a barber here in Fairfax.

Henry Raymond
Mark Geno

« #1 : November 13, 2005, 05:20:48 PM »

Andy gave me my first haircut many years ago.
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #2 : November 15, 2005, 09:52:02 PM »

Henry, my grandfather used to go to Milton for his hair cuts too.
Ask him if he cut his and if he did, he probably cut mine too once ot twice when I was down there, maybe 20 - 25 years ago or so.
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #3 : January 25, 2011, 01:07:50 PM »

I remember many visits to see Andy with you Dad.  He had great comics and I always got a lollipop after your haircut! Thoughts and prayers to all of Andy's friends and family.

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
Justice
: 4

« #4 : February 05, 2011, 11:12:29 AM »

Dear Henry,
I want to tell you and everyone who reads your forum how much it means to see this thread and the photos. You are a wonderful man Henry. You truly show how much you Love and treasure your friendships. This thread that you did on Andy is so Loving.
I was viewing your forum on January 28th after not viewing here in a few days and noticed this thread because it was updated. I had not noticed it before because this thread was started in 2005. Thank-you mkr for updating the thread and bringing it to the first page of the Current Events and News.

My very close friend Andrea is the daughter of Andy.

The day that I saw this updated thread, I called Andrea and told her about it. We were both in tears. The photos are amazing and reflect a fun loving faithful friendship. For Andrea, Mariah and Maverick to see those photos for the first time, to them it was like opening a gift. A gift that they will treasure always. Thanks to you Henry. Andrea, Mariah and Maverick want you to know, with all of their heart, how much they appreciate your gift. With all of my heart also Henry.

Mark Geno, Mike Raburn and mkr, your posts mean a lot and all of you are thanked also. Especially mkr for bringing this thread back up after all of the years. If it was not for you updating this thread mkr, we never would have known about it.

With so much Respect,
Justice
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #5 : February 07, 2011, 12:54:36 PM »

So glad I commented on it so you could see it Justice.  Andy was a wonderful man.

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
: [1]  
« previous next »
: