Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 02:31:23 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Political Issues/Comments
| | |-+  Legislative Update - Tax Commission - 1.23.11
« previous next »
: [1]
: Legislative Update - Tax Commission - 1.23.11  ( 5922 )
Gary Gilbert
: 77

« : January 23, 2011, 10:23:07 AM »

The Blue Ribbon Tax Commission has released its final report and legislators have received a briefing. You can find the entire final report online at this address: http://www.vermonttaxreform.org/library/  by clicking on "Final Report." In short, the Blue Ribbon Tax Commission makes a recommendation to broaden the tax base and lower rates for both income and sales taxes.

Please keep in mind while reviewing this report that the Commission will continue its work to include property taxes. We expect to see the report that includes property taxes in September and should include recommendations re: educational funding. At this point the recommendations still need to be evaluated by the finance committees. Public input is sought and can be sent directly to the Commission using the link provided by the reports site.

The goal of the report writers is, as I understand it:

1.The recommended restructuring will raise the same amount of money that is raised now.  This is not an attempt to raise taxes. It gives us the opportunity to look at our tax system as a whole, and make changes to it in the context of the whole, rather than each individual tax provision. The goal is to be revenue neutral. 2.The report hopes to align our tax methods with most other states.  This will allow businesses thinking of locating to our state the opportunity to compare “apples to apples.”  When you compare Vermont to the rest of New England we are actually in the middle of the pack.  The way our tax structure works now with tiered rates and based on federal tax liability rather than adjusted income,, it is difficult to see how we actually compare, and it looks like we are a higher tax state than we really are.

I don’t know how all this will sugar out until after the committees of jurisdiction have done their work of taking testimony and receiving public input. That will be a lengthy process. I encourage anyone to go to the report and submit their concerns. VPR did a segment this week that illustrates what the process will be and discusses some of the concerns

Here's the link :  http://www.vpr.net/episode/50288/

Among the specific recommendations are the following:

·        removing most exemptions from both income and sales taxes

·        eliminate standardized and itemized deductions from the income tax

·        lowering the sales tax from 6% to 4.5%

·        including all exempt goods except food in the sales tax

·        applying sales tax to the provision of services

·        applying the sales tax to internet based sales (would require Federal action)

·        moving from Taxable Income to Adjusted Gross Income to calculate your personal income tax

Rep. Gary Gilbert

Fairfax/Georgia
« : January 23, 2011, 10:24:25 AM Henry »
mary
: 32

« #1 : January 28, 2011, 01:04:05 PM »

How are our reps feeling about extending the sales tax to services? I'm worried about double taxation, further complication of the tax code and small service businesses. Currently, when Joe is paid $2500 for plowing a private road and driveways in a neighborhood, he pays income and self employment taxes on the $2500. He's a responsible guy, reports all income and doesn't make up expenses so he pays $140 in income taxes on this transaction plus all self-employment taxes.  Under the new proposal, he has to get a tax license and collect, report and remit 4.5% sales tax for some of his plowing and clearly document any plowing that's exempt. The proposal only applies to consumer-purchased services, likely those totalling $600 annually. Joe, who is personally liable for paying taxes and penalties for any taxes that he should have collected but didn't (and for collecting taxes when he shouldn't) must figure out who gets taxed and clearly document each taxed and exempt transaction. Each homeowner in a 4-house neighborhood pays $625, that's taxable; each person in a 6-person neighborhood pays him $416, that's not taxed; Robin's Realty Management, Inc. pays him $10,000 to plow for condos/apartments it manages, that's not taxed; Robin pays him $625 over the winter to plow out herself and her parents, that's taxed.  I thought we were trying to simplify things....                         

Gary Gilbert
: 77

« #2 : January 28, 2011, 02:37:41 PM »

Mary,
What you have described is exactly what the commission needs to hear. It is the details that the devil hides in and what they should consider when they make their final report to the legislature. The more they learn from different people affected differently the better they will be able to make their recommendations or the more information ways and means will have when they take it up this year. The record keeping will be very difficult at first.
Please send it in and I will keep it in mind if and when it comes out of committee.
Gary
rod anode
: 1141

meathead,: dead from the neck up!

« #3 : January 28, 2011, 05:22:10 PM »

they got us into this mess they can tax us out ,just remember  CASH IS KING
Thor

« #4 : January 29, 2011, 07:21:30 PM »

Must be some real geniuses on this non-partisan Blue Ribbon Tax Commission, if after they release their "final" report, Mary submits something to Henry's website and Gary recommends that that is exactly what the commission needs to hear!!! Makes me wonder what it is exactly they have been working on this whole time. Quite simply, this whole thing makes me laugh. They are going to broaden the tax base and lower the tax rate. Yea, sure. And I think I will avoid Gary's recommendation of going to Vermont Progressive Radio and listening to their input. You're right Ed, cash is king... but I think I am going to move my banking overseas and my business out of Vermont.
rod anode

« #5 : January 29, 2011, 08:02:53 PM »

my business wont permit that
rod anode

« #6 : January 30, 2011, 08:39:54 AM »

cash is no longer king its gold silver or nonparisable food,i guess livestock too
Carolyn Branagan
: 365

« #7 : January 30, 2011, 11:00:01 PM »

Mary......I have never supported extending the sales tax to services. You are right about the double taxation. In addition this is  not a good time to increase tax on anyone. These service providers have not had a tax, so any tax at all is an increase. The entire  sales tax proposal from the Blue Ribbon Commission has very little support. Even the Governor has expressed non-support. 
The Commission report is in my committee now: Ways and Means. No one seems enchanted with the Sales tax change especially  those who represent communities along the Connecticut River.
The income tax change draws  more  interest.

Rep.Carolyn Branagan
Franklin-1, Fairfax/Georgia

Carolyn Branagan
slpott
: 457

« #8 : January 31, 2011, 05:48:45 AM »

I know the few service providers that I have talked to are not very happy.
: [1]  
« previous next »
: