Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:00:18 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  The End Of An Era - "The Usual?"
« previous next »
: [1]
: The End Of An Era - "The Usual?"  ( 4695 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : December 17, 2010, 12:04:23 PM »

Hi All,

Well after about 55 years, I will be making a change.  My visits to Andy the Barber will be no more, as Andy closed up his shop on Fairfax Street about 3 weeks ago.  Andy opened his shop here in Fairfax in the little addition to the Old Hardware Store up nearest to the United Church.  After a few years, he then moved to the little building near the River, just above Vermont Food Ventures, after which he ended up building a Barber Shop over in Milton, where he cut hair for a number of years.  He then went into semi-retirement and cut hair 2 1/2 days a week unti about 3 weeks ago.

His health has been deteriorating, so at the age of about 84, he has decided to retire.  Enjoy your retirement Andy - Now I have to train a new barber on the fine art of finding hair.

For a few more photos that I had taken by a fellow IBMer, you can click on the following link:

http://www.vtgrandpa.com/forum/index.php?topic=665.0

Henry Raymond
cakelady
: 43

« #1 : December 17, 2010, 02:22:26 PM »

Thank you Andy for keeping my husband looking sharp all these years.
al brodeur
: 216

« #2 : December 17, 2010, 07:27:04 PM »

Andy enjoy your retirement ,  you gave me my first (barber) haircut and its been 52 yrs and a few days when I left town so you have desreved a rest from your labors, enjoy. where I am now when I go the the (hair Salon)
I tell them that I am there for them to make me beautful, six have quit and two have closed up the shop
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #3 : December 17, 2010, 07:40:56 PM »

Andy told me to stop in and visit with him, even though he was not cutting hair any more.  I will make sure I tell him what you said.  I ended up going over to Milton today.  They had two barbers there and all the chairs were full with people waiting.  Not many barbers around now and apparently Andy's customers are going to Milton.

Henry Raymond
Judi
: 508

« #4 : December 17, 2010, 09:22:35 PM »

My Grandfather, Albert Melendy, owned "Al's" barbershop in Morrisville and my dad, Roland Hamel, worked with him for many years before he got a job at G.E. and we moved to SO. Burlington.  Haircuts were 25 cents and a tip was usually a dime.  Imagine making a living and supporting 2 families on those wages.  Happy retirement to you!
rwing180
: 98

« #5 : December 18, 2010, 07:47:22 AM »

My father recently turned 89 years old & has been a "longtime" customer of Andy's Barbershop ever since he was located in the "Old Hardware  store" next to the United Church.  I can remember as a kid going with him to Andy's shop at that location in the early 1960's.  My father continued to be a loyal customer at all locations including his Fairfax St location. His most recent visit to Andy's was late this summer to, as Henry put it, have him "find hair".   
We both wish him all the best in his retirement.
Jim M
: 20

« #6 : December 18, 2010, 05:19:10 PM »

I've been going to Ray's in Essex for years and am quite satisfied.

Hang Up:   You're NOT driving a 'phone booth.
: [1]  
« previous next »
: