Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:42:23 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Bus Crash
« previous next »
: [1]
: Bus Crash  ( 4145 )
Chris Santee
: 2653

« : December 03, 2010, 06:41:59 PM »

TROOPER: Lt. Kraig Laporte                       
STATION: Brattleboro                       
DATE/TIME: Friday, December 03, 2010 at 3:51PM

Rollover Bus Crash Near Putney, Vermont
12/3/2010 - Putney, VT – At approximately 3:51PM, today, the Vermont State Police and Westminster Fire and Rescue were dispatched to a reported bus rollover crash on Interstate 91 Southbound at MM22, near Putney, Vermont. Upon arrival, emergency responded assessed the incident and injuries. Putney Fire and Rescue were subsequently dispatched to the scene.

I-91 Southbound at Exit 5 is closed, due to this incident. I-91 Northbound at MM 23 is limited to one lane of travel. Motorists are advised to use caution in this area.

Lt. Kraig Laporte has confirmed that the bus was carrying some members of the University of Massachusetts on a ski trip. The group was traveling in three buses, however only one bus was involved in the crash.

Emergency responders are still on scene, assisting patients and gathering information.

Another update should be sent at 6:30PM, today, December 3, 2010.

For media questions, please contact the Vermont State Police Public Information Officer, Stephanie Dasaro, at 802-241-5277 or 802-279-9773.

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #1 : December 03, 2010, 06:47:21 PM »

This is totally unofficial.  But saw on WCAX - Facebook Comment where they believed the bus driver had a heart attack.  AGAIN, totally unofficial. 

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
Chris Santee

« #2 : December 03, 2010, 08:13:34 PM »

TROOPER: Lt. Kraig Laporte               

Update: Rollover Bus Crash Near Putney, Vermont

12/3/2010 - Putney, VT – 7:00PM – Vermont State Police and rescue crews are still on scene of the crash on I-91 MM22. The Vermont State Police Crash Reconstruction Team is at the scene investigating this incident.

17 patients were transported to local hospitals; their current status is unknown. 28 occupants were uninjured. For information regarding people involved in this crash and which hospital they were transported to, please call the Royalton Barracks at 802-234-9933.

I-91 Southbound at Exit 5 is still closed, due to this incident. I-91 Northbound is open, both lanes. Continue to drive with caution in and around the incident scene.

To recap, at approximately 3:51PM, today, the Vermont State Police, along with several fire and rescue units were dispatched to a reported bus rollover crash on Interstate 91 Southbound at MM22, near Putney, Vermont. Lt. Kraig Laporte has confirmed that the bus was carrying students from the University of Massachusetts – Amherst on a ski trip. The group was traveling with three buses, however only one bus was involved in the crash.

No other information is available at this time, as the incident is still being investigated.
Another press release will be sent later tonight with updates. For media questions, please contact the Vermont State Police Public Information Officer, Stephanie Dasaro, at 802-241-5277 or 802-279-9773.

Brattleboro Memorial Hospital: 802-257-0341

Springfield Hospital: 802-885-2151

Dartmouth Hitchcock: 603-650-5000

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
Chris Santee

« #3 : December 03, 2010, 09:03:45 PM »

"may have been heart attack"
http://www1.whdh.com/news/articles/local/12002910892874/bus-rolls-over-on-i-91-in-vermont-several-hurt/

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
Chris Santee

« #4 : December 04, 2010, 06:21:11 AM »

TROOPER: Lt. Kraig Laporte, Incident Commander                             

Update: Crews Clear of the Scene, One Still Hospitalized

12/3/2010 - Putney, VT – 10:00PM – Emergency crews are clear from the crash scene on I-91 at MM22 and the interstate is reopened to normal traffic. 

A total of 45 people were on the bus that crashed today; 28 were uninjured. Of the eight patients transported to Brattleboro Memorial Hospital and the eight patients transported to Springfield Hospital, all were treated and released for minor injuries. And at the time of this release, the driver of the bus is hospitalized at Dartmouth Hitchcock Hospital and listed in stable condition.

The crash is still being investigated and no citation has been issued at this time. No further information is available; and when new information is available, the state police will send an update.

The Vermont State Police extend their thanks to Putney Fire Department, Brattleboro Fire Department, Westminster Fire Department, Rescue 8, Delusio Ambulance, Walpole Fire and Ambulance, Keene (NH) Fire Department Ambulance, Golden Cross Ambulance, Dartmouth Hitchcock Helicopter, UMass Worcester Helicopter, Albany (NY) Medical Flight Crew, Deerfield Valley Rescue, Winchester (NH) Ambulance, Springfield Fire Department Ambulance, Brattleboro Memorial Hospital, Springfield Hospital, Dartmouth Hitchcock Hospital, Keene Mutual Aid Dispatch, Brattleboro Dispatch, State Police – Rockingham PSAP, and Vermont Agency of Transportation.

If you have any information regarding this incident, please contact Sgt. Michael Sorenson at 802-254-2382. All other updates will come from Sgt. Sorenson.

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
Chris Santee

« #5 : December 06, 2010, 03:16:56 PM »

Updated PRESS RELEASE
MOTOR VEHICLE CRASH
CASE#: 10D203136
TROOPER: Sgt. Mike Sorensen STATION: Brattleboro CONTACT#: (802)254-2382
DATE/TIME: 12/03/10 1551 Hours
LOCATION (specific): I91 MM22/85 SB, Town of Putney

VEHICLE #1 OPERATOR: Andrew Castillo    AGE: 49     SEAT BELT? No
CITY, STATE OF RESIDENCE: Shickshinny, PA

DESCRIPTION OF VEHICLE: 1999 Prevost Motor Coach Bus

DAMAGE TO VEHICLE: Significant undercarriage and passenger side

INJURIES
V # / NAME / CITY, STATE OF RESIDENCE / AGE / SEAT BELT? / NATURE OF INJURY

Multiple injuries to 17 of the vehicle's occupants, including the driver.  All injured occupants, with the exception of the driver, were treated and released from the Brattleboro Memorial Hospital and Springfield (VT) Hospital.

HOSPITAL: Brattleboro Memorial, Springfield (VT), and Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center                     
WEATHER: Cloudy           
ROAD COND: Clear and Dry

SUMMARY OF CRASH: This is an update to the three (3) press releases issued by the Vermont State Police on 12/03/10 related to the crash of a motorcoach bus on I91 near milemarker 22 in the town of Putney.

All injured occupants, with the exception of the driver, were treated and released from the Brattleboro Memorial Hospital and the Springfield Hospital on the date of the crash.  The driver, Andrew Castillo of Shickshinny, PA, is still being treated at the Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center (DHMC).  He suffered significant head injuries and some internal injuries as a result of the crash.  At present he is in stable condition at DHMC.  The driver did suffer from a pre-existing heart condition; although at this time it is unknown if this condition was a factor in this crash.

The bus involved was a 1999 Prevost motorcoach which is owned by Tour World Inc. of Danville, PA.  The bus suffered significant undercarriage damage, particularly to its front end and steering axle area, and significant passenger side as a result of the crash.  Following the initial onscene investigation, the bus was righted and removed from the scene by L&B Freightliner of Westminster.

Members of the Vermont State Police Crash Reconstruction Team documented evidence from the scene on the night of the crash.  Members of the Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Unit assisted the Vermont State Police by conducting a mechanical inspection of the vehicle.  No pre-existing mechanical violations were found.

The investigation into the cause of the crash is still ongoing, but at this time it appears that the bus had been traveling north on I91 in the right lane.  The bus then veered across the northbound lanes, entered the grass median, entered the southbound lanes of I91, crossed both southbound lanes, and exited the roadway on the west side of the southbound lanes.  The bus, which was still on its wheels at that point, then struck an embankment on the west side of the southbound lanes, and rolled over onto its passenger side.  Occupants were extricated through the windshield area and through two emergency exits located in the roof of the bus.  There was no evidence of the driver taking any evasive action such as yaw marks or skid marks.

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
: [1]  
« previous next »
: