Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:59:15 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Local Gift Tree??
« previous next »
: [1]
: Local Gift Tree??  ( 8000 )
cedarman
: 370

« : November 30, 2010, 02:05:49 PM »

Is there a local gift tree, or organization distributing gifts to children of financially strained families here in Fairfax?

I thought before I commit to another ornament from the tree here where I work, it would be nice to help make Christmas a little happier for a child or two in need where I live.
Chris Santee
: 2653

« #1 : December 01, 2010, 07:34:30 AM »

United Way in St. Albans is accepting toys to distribute in/with Operation Happiness Baskets.
They're next to Sticks and Stuff on (Lower Weldon St. ?)

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
cedarman

« #2 : December 01, 2010, 08:06:43 AM »

I guess that's a starting point.  I was really looking for something in Fairfax. 

Does the school have any kind of program?

Chris Santee

« #3 : December 01, 2010, 09:21:07 AM »

About a week ago, Ray Bouffard, owner of Georgia Market, called me to make a donation of toys to Fairfax kids.
When I checked with United Way (after Reverend Liz of course), I asked if they could be directed to Fairfax kids.
UW said they would be sent to Fairfax kids.

Ray also donated toys to the Georgia kids.

Maybe we should start calling him "United Ray".

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
mirjo
: 785

« #4 : December 01, 2010, 03:02:38 PM »

I don't know if we have anything locally set up--I would like to know. I have had stuff in the past, gently used clothes that I wanted to give to a family in Fairfax that would be able to use them (b/c my kids would outgrow them before they outwore them for awhile!) and it seems I had trouble finding a local situation. I even asked members of the church, thinking that was the hot spot where charity begins in a town, but really didn't get anywhere. I think I ended up giving them the Pastor Liz to take to Nicaragua, which served the purpose of giving them to someone in need, but not what I really intended.

On a similar note--the helping hands dishes (or whatever they are officially called) you can buy at Hannaford--go to families in St. Albans, but not to outer-lying communities. I assume the same for the Milton Store.

Perhaps we need to organize something specifically for our town? Much like Ray does at Georgia Market? I'm willing to lend a hand to organizing a gift/coat-hat-mitten drop/whatever. Any other takers?? :-)

If the world gives you melons, you might be dyslexic
al brodeur
: 216

« #5 : December 01, 2010, 03:11:11 PM »

I do not know if this will help you but down here I went thru the school nurse and it was all thru her the reciepent did not know who donated and the donor did not get the recievers name which is the way I wanted it.
Rev. Elizabeth
: 1286

« #6 : December 01, 2010, 06:33:08 PM »

When folks receive operation happiness food baskets ( and I distribute about 30) the recipients also get hats, mittens , and age appropriate gifts for children under, I believe 16.
FOFE
: 10

« #7 : December 01, 2010, 08:04:28 PM »

FOFE-(known as Friends of Fletcher Elementary) does a Holiday food and gift drive for needy families in Fletcher.  We currently have 9 families we will be helping out.  Donations of food and gifts are gladly appreciated.  For additional information you can email or call me Tara Sweet at 644-5670.
Sue W.
: 167

« #8 : December 02, 2010, 05:59:09 AM »

If you purchase one of the helping hands boxes at hannaford's, and you want it to go to your town, you have to tell the clerk when you purchase it for which town it is intended. 
slpott
: 457

« #9 : December 02, 2010, 06:34:01 AM »

I  go through Mrs. Gardener at the elementary. She usually can tell you their needs and you can adopy a family. Val has a tree of some sort. I also think they do other things too.I always like to do it local too. I could talk to Pierre at Steeple and see if he would do a tree. I have the tree, Let me check. If we ban together we could do amazing things. I will post asap.
cedarman

« #10 : December 02, 2010, 09:39:50 AM »

Some excellent feedback.  We do a gift tree here at work.  People take a paper ornament which identifies age, g/b, clothes/shoe sizes, and general likes.  Everything goes through 2 organizers.  Gifts are anonomously left by the tree so receivers don't know who the givers are as Al mentioned.

I think this would be a GREAT thing to do locally.  It would be great if we could pull something together for this year, and even better to plan ahead and start something a little earlier next year. 

I've only lived her a couple of years, but would be glad to help someone with more local contacts to organize something.
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #11 : December 02, 2010, 12:16:11 PM »

I was wondering if anyone knew of a gift tree for children in Enosburg?  I would like to make sure a special family up there has a Christmas.

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
Chris Santee

« #12 : December 02, 2010, 12:51:46 PM »

My buddy, Ethan, has a website and knows all in E-burgh.
http://www.ethaninenosburg.com/
I'll send him a message now.

They did vote to add the "h" at the end of Enosburg(h), didn't they ?
I'll ask him that too.

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
Chris Santee

« #13 : December 02, 2010, 01:11:53 PM »

Ethan also recommends United Way (tell them for Enosburgh).

Which indeed, has an "h" though Enosburg Falls does not.
Ethan, with his witty sense of humor, swears a war will be fought someday on this.

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #14 : December 02, 2010, 01:13:31 PM »

Thanks Chris!  A friend up there just got back to me and said the local food shelf at Mason Hall on Missiquoi St. and to speak with Julie LaCross or Mark Charron.  

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
: [1]  
« previous next »
: