Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 08:37:00 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Photos From Heather Weeks Of The Fairfax Community Trail
« previous next »
: [1]
: Photos From Heather Weeks Of The Fairfax Community Trail  ( 9341 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : November 20, 2010, 08:01:37 AM »

Hi Henry,

I have some pictures of the Fairfax Community Trail that I took while hiking with my PE classes today. Can I email them to you to post on your website? It really looks great out there and I hope the community will use these beautiful trails. Thanks

Heather Weeks

Henry Raymond
Dick Brown
: 414

« #1 : November 20, 2010, 10:35:15 AM »

Good Morning Henry          Thanks for posting Heather's pictures of the Community Trail . They really provide the viewer with the reality of the wonderful job Doug , Dave and the many volunteers have done in competing this project for the benefit of the school , of course, but more importantly for the town of Fairfax and it's residents useage. The signs are terrific !!!
7F24
: 253

« #2 : November 20, 2010, 12:21:47 PM »

The bridges were all built by Duane Leach, what an excellent job he did!
mmillette
: 41

« #3 : November 20, 2010, 12:47:47 PM »

What a great thing for our community!!!!
Rev. Elizabeth
: 1286

« #4 : November 20, 2010, 01:24:36 PM »

The paths are wonderful.  I walk them at least twice a week and there is always something new to see, consider, think about.   And I marvel at the amount of work Doug, Duane, Dave and others did as volunteers, to create this place of beauty.

Barbara Young told me her husband thinks the car  (which apparantly was called a suicide car ) belonged to Everett King's dad who had a garage and used to own land in the area!   It was painted by the Snyders for the latest Fairfax Relays.
Sue W.
: 167

« #5 : November 21, 2010, 02:31:51 PM »

Where does this trail begin?  Is it connected to the one that goes by the river?  It looks like a great place to take walk.
Rev. Elizabeth
: 1286

« #6 : November 21, 2010, 06:18:50 PM »

The trail begins at the woods side of the soccer field, a bit past that little red shack in the woods.  YOu can see the sign from across the road.  If you were to walk the paved rec path, then you would continue on the stone/gravel road to the end on Hunt St. Cross the road, cross the playing field, and you will see the sign.  A great walk!
Sue W.
: 167

« #7 : November 21, 2010, 08:51:02 PM »

Thank you, I look forward to it!
Suzy
: 429

« #8 : November 22, 2010, 11:14:01 AM »

Suicide doors on the car: (from Wikipedia, and a curious Suzy, who had to look it up)

A suicide door (also called a rear-hinged or coach door) is a car door that is hinged on the edge closer to the rear of the vehicle, known as the trailing edge.  These doors are rarely used on vehicles in modern times because of their numerous problems.

The name reflects the increased danger of the door falling open if it becomes unlatched while the car is moving. The problem arises while driving at high speed: if the door opens even a little, it will catch the fast-moving air like a sail and open, potentially being damaged from the force of the air.
On a conventional car, if the door becomes unlatched, the fast moving air around the car, which is going rearward relative to the car, will outweigh the pressure difference with the interior even when the windows are closed and the venting at the front is open, and hold the door closed. With suicide doors, this pressure difference holds the door open.   This danger is compounded if the occupant is not wearing his or her seatbelt. This problem is greatly increased when driving around a bend. Lateral G-force combined with the low-pressure air moving around the car will fling open an unlatched door, and the occupant could be thrown out if not wearing a seatbelt. In reality, this is very unlikely to happen because the locks and latches for suicide doors are built to withstand greater forces than most locks and latches.
Dick Brown
: 414

« #9 : November 22, 2010, 01:29:31 PM »

Suzy    Thanks for the info.....I spent this morning thinking about that designation ( or labeling term ) for that car , but never realized that it applied to the doors attachment to the vehicle. When I told my next door neighbor about it , he mentioned that I probably learned to drive in a similar auto....not so.....mine was a black 1932 Chevy, I think    ( What was your's Henry ??? ) . Anyway I appreciate you passing that information along.       Hope the snow hasn't reached western Wyoming today !!!!
Henry
Administrator

« #10 : November 22, 2010, 01:39:20 PM »

I learned to drive in a 1935 Plymouth and actually started driving in 1943.  Used to use the car to go and get the mail as the road went across our land, about a half mile to the mailbox.  Of course in the winter and mud season when the mailman couldn't get up through, we would usually pick it up down at Gertrude Howrigan's Brick Store in Fairfield Center.  The Post Office was in that store and they didn't go by hours or days open for the post office. If the store was open, Edw Howrigan, Dick's Howrigan's Dad you go back and wait on you.

Didn't need a learner's permit back then.  When you reached 16, you could go to St. Albans and take your written test and if you passed that the guy would take you up Congress Street in St. Albans and make you stop and start in the hill, then take you down in the city and have you parallel park.  I actually started driving on regular roads when I was 12 and that was acceptable back then as long as you had an adult in the front seat with you.

Henry Raymond
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #11 : November 22, 2010, 02:07:09 PM »

Dad, wasn't it Aunt Madeline in Canada that got her license through the mail with no tests?

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
Henry
Administrator

« #12 : November 22, 2010, 04:12:05 PM »

Yes it was - Don't know how it is today though.

Henry Raymond
: [1]  
« previous next »
: