Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 01:41:31 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  where have all the good samaritans gone?
« previous next »
: [1]
: where have all the good samaritans gone?  ( 9870 )
BrettMichaud
: 37

Hello Faifax

« : October 17, 2010, 06:55:27 PM »

Wednesday, October 13th, I was heading into work around 1:15, I was driving down 104 and spotted an older woman with her thumb out asking for a ride. I pulled into Nan's Mobile, and offered her a ride. This individual, and woman whos name I never aquired, though appeared to be in her late 40s approached me, and asked if I was going towards St. Albans. I informed her I was heading into Winooski, though I would gladley give her a ride to the Maplefields in Georgia. As we got to talking, she informed me that her car broke down in JOHNSON, and furthermore walked into Fairfax without anybody asking her if she needed a lift. Does anything seem wrong or out of the ordinary here? I thought this was small town USA where one helped another! Regardless, I told her I would bring her to her destination in St. Albans. Along the way we were chatting and she was saying that if she was 20 years younger, wearing tight clothing she would have found a ride A.S.A.P., and even told me one fellow in a truck damn near took her thumb off! This leaves me wondering where all the gentlemen, and good hearted samaritans have gone? Has the economy gotten so bad to point where we cant even help each other? Maybe Im just ranting, blowing off steam perhaps..... I can only tell you that Karma is on my side, and my momma said I did the right thing. Trying to make the world better, one good deed at a time, Brett Michaud
al brodeur
: 216

« #1 : October 17, 2010, 08:26:18 PM »

she started out early right after all what is the millage? and there are women out hitch hiking that are meaner and more vicious  then men(Bonnie &Clyde) but then there are ligit. times where one would be hitch hiking
I many years ago hiked most of the way from St Albans to fairfax--in uniform. and got a ride the last couple of miles.
but thank the lord that nothing bad turned out and that you will have the personal satisfaction of helping someone out because what goes around, comes around.
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #2 : October 17, 2010, 11:34:08 PM »

I have to admit I do not pick up hitch hikers.

The fact that you pulled into a lighted area was good.

She was probably bsing you about her Johnson breakdown but needed a lift.

We are in the 21st century and there are cell phones.
Even people who cannot afford cell phones have them subsidized.

You did a good act but count your lucky stars.
red
: 41

« #3 : October 18, 2010, 05:44:18 AM »

I do not pick up hitch hikers at all. You never know what is going to happen.
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #4 : October 18, 2010, 08:25:05 AM »

Brett, it is truly sad that we have come to this.

The other night a State Policeman stopped at my house.  I saw him drive in at a rather high rate of speed and a few minutes later he knocked on the door.  Because it was a State Policeman, I did open the door, but believe if it was to happen again, before I would have opened the door, would have had my phone in my hand ready to dial 911 and opened my window and asked him what he wanted.  As it was, he was looking for Lonas Mack, the man who was killed in the motorcycle accident in St. Albans, whose mailing address was next door to mine.

Back when I was younger, I used to pick up hitchhikers, but today, I certainly would have some second thoughts.  In regards to the lady you picked up Brett, I am sorry to say that I most likely would have been one of those that would have passed her by and if I see a hitchhiker today, if I have never seen them before, I most likely would not stop either.  It is also sad to say that I do not let strangers in my house.

I also keep my doors locked at night as soon as it starts getting dark, even though I live on a highly travelled road.

I did travel Route 128 for 43 years to go to work and over that period of time did pick up hitchhikers on a regular basis, but in most cases they were Westford Young People headed for Essex High School or coming home from Essex High School at night.

I don't say I would never stop, but I do have my cell phone with me at all times and if I saw a car in trouble, would most likely dial 911, giving the registration and location of the car, particularly after this recent episode of the 53 year old woman recently attacked, shot & stabbed by two men, I am more inclined not to stop, but report the incident.

As sad as it seems Brett, it appears that the days of the good samaritan are gone, with me being one of those people.

Henry Raymond
mirjo
: 785

« #5 : October 18, 2010, 12:16:22 PM »

Brett, I think the answer to your question is the good Samaritans aren't gone, but afraid. As sad as that is, you really don't know what kind of crazy is lurking out there and this  over rides one's natural instinct to help someone--as Henry said.

It's admirable that you gave this woman a ride, but I'm wondering why she didn't stop in Jeffersonville to make a call or walk into Johnson? She either broke down coming into Johnson, in the village, or leaving on 15 in this direction. So I don't get why she didn't call someone for help while there or the very next town, Jeff. Cell coverage out there sucks, but even if she didn't have a cell, there are a number of businesses in either town with phones--If you ask an establishment in Vt to use a phone or a restroom  they usually let you--even now days.

I honestly believe that most people are decent and the majority if not all are really just in need of a kind hand from a stranger. Unfortunately, there is no way to know up front, which situation is going to put your life in danger. If only they made special glasses for that!

How is it that the world got so nuts, that we can't lend a hand to a stranger w/o fearing for our personal safety? :-(

If the world gives you melons, you might be dyslexic
Lilone
: 81

« #6 : October 18, 2010, 02:52:40 PM »

I agree with Mirjo. It is so hard to know if they are a good person simply in need of a ride or a pshcho who could do you harm, or worse kill you. Even though I am a woman I would not pick up a woman hitchhiker. Now if it was someone I knew I would deffinately stop and offer a ride, but not a complete stranger
David Shea
: 471

« #7 : October 18, 2010, 04:21:29 PM »

Brett,
I will pick up somebody if the temp is so cold that I think they would perish and have done so in the past.

Problem is that with just two of you in the car it is " her word against yours".
Dave
mirjo

« #8 : October 19, 2010, 08:17:02 PM »

Brett, I feel bad because you seem to be getting a lot of flack for doing the right thing. You did do a decent thing and should feel good about that. I'm sure this woman greatly appreciated your kindness. You should continue to be kind to people, as I expect that you will be. As a mother of two (and I suspect a bit older than you are) I just ask that you take caution when offering your kindness to strangers.

It's a sad state of affairs, but it's the world we live in. Nobody wants to read in the paper or especially on this forum that you or anyone was harmed in someway, because you were doing the right thing by someone in need (or presumably so). :-)

Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #9 : October 19, 2010, 11:05:34 PM »

I don't see any flak being shot up.

Just atta-boys and lucky nothing bad happened.
mirjo

« #10 : October 20, 2010, 09:00:29 AM »

It's not overt, but it's mildly there. I just thought if it were me, I'd feel ridiculous with (most) everyone telling me how I shouldn't have done what I did. It's really how it's perceived I supposed, I could be more sensitive than Brett and picked up an undertone. Maybe he doesn't even care and has moved on, like I should! ;-)

cedarman
: 370

« #11 : October 20, 2010, 03:22:20 PM »

I've been that person walking.  My car broke down on my way home from work.  I had only worked in the area a year and didn't know a lot of people.  Several home owners were nice enough to let me try to call the only two people I knew.  I walked over 7 miles towards home (in the daylight, wearing "business casual" dress clothes), and was finally offered a ride the last 2 miles by a state police officer (in the front seat because he has seen my car).
I will only pick up a hiker IF I don't have my daughter in the car with me, AND if they don't appear to be of questionable character (yeah, I know it's not good to judge on appearance, but I think we all do at times).

Kudos to all of you who take the time to help out someone in need, even if that person MIGHT take advantage of their generosity.
Loctavious
: 559

Follow The White Rabbit

« #12 : October 25, 2010, 09:15:34 AM »

Indeed - i don't think any flack is beign flung - if anythign it seems as though safety is being ciriticized here.  Don't knwo wabout others, but i was taught to NEVER pick-up hitch hikers.  Last year, i did give 2 strangers a ride hoem from Minors out to cambridge whose car had broken down at minors - scraiest 15 minutes of my life...... Though everything turned out fine, i kept thinkig of what Mom and Dad had told me... and prayed i'd see my family again.

SAD?  More like inevitable.  It's unfortunate, but if there's no one making sure kids are being raised in a safe, nurturing, and positive-influence environment, how can we expect the kids to behave as such?   And if there was - how loud would the outcry be about personal rights? 

Personal rights?  you mean like the ones we use to have in 1800s?  where women and children were chattle - the possession of the husband? 

"Conservatives see any progress outside of what they approve of as the 'liberal agenda'.  Apparently no one told them they and what they think aren't any better than the rest of us"

"A closed mind is more dangerous than an ignorant one"
GamingWeasel
: 184

« #13 : October 25, 2010, 02:53:17 PM »

I was taught to never pick up hithhikers too.  Sometimes I think about dong it, but only once did I actually do it.  I noticed the same person at the same place and time everyday for a week trying to catch a ride on Williston Rd (not sure why she wasnt taking the bus, but whatever...).  I figured she must be simply going to work, and that turned out to be the case.  I gave her a ride a couple times.

Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
: [1]  
« previous next »
: