Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 01:58:23 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  VERMONT GUARD HELPING TO CREATE FAIRFAX REC FIELD
« previous next »
: [1]
: VERMONT GUARD HELPING TO CREATE FAIRFAX REC FIELD  ( 3012 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : September 13, 2004, 06:43:05 PM »

Monday September 13, 2004

By LEE J. KAHRS Messenger Staff Writer
FAIRFAX –– The Vermont National Guard descended upon Fairfax this weekend, as Phase II of the Fairfax Community Recreation Park project got under way.

For the third consecutive year, the Guard brought soldiers and heavy equipment in to help transform the field behind Bellows Free Academy.

Saturday was the final day of their involvement for this part of the project, said Vermont Guard information officer, 1st Lt. Veronica Saffo,

Selectboard Chair Ed Nuttall, who was on hand for effort, said there were 22 members of the guard with dump trucks, bulldozers and rollers. They transported tons of sand from a nearby pit to the fields, one of which needed to be raised for drainage purposes, Nuttall said.

The Guards, members of an engineering detachment, also repaired a section of field that had been washed away by recent heavy rains, and compacted the dirt on the access road.

Nuttall said the fields will not be usable for at least another year.

"It's still a work in progress," he said.

Guard members will level and seed the Phase II fields this year, then add topsoil next year and seed them again.

"We're looking at fall of next year for possible use," Nuttall said.

Baseball, softball and soccer fields are part of the project. Phase III as originally envisioned included a basketball court and rest room facilities. Phase I work produced a parking area, a practice field, and a Little League diamond.

Fairfax Recreation Department Director Carol Lizotte, who was unavailable for comment today, has been responsible for pursuing the decade-long project. She organized the Guard's involvement three years ago.

"The National Guard is always looking for projects to improve soldier's skills," Nuttall said.

The Guard uses this type of community project as surveying and heavy equipment training exercises for their engineering division, Nuttall said.

Lizotte has secured grant money for the project over the years. Phase I was funded through a Vermont Land & Water Conservation Fund Program (LWCF) grant for $70,000.

Nuttall said Lizotte has secured a $120,000 grant to continue the project.

The Guard's commitment, valued at about $140,000 for each year, has been Fairfax's "sponsor match" for the LWCF grant funds, which require the sponsor to provide half of the costs financially or as in-kind services.

To view more photos of the project, click on the following link:

http://www.vtgrandpa.com/photos/slideshow.php?set_albumName=recpark

-- -- --

Anyone wanting to offer support, donations or to volunteer, contact Carol Lizotte at 827-9723

Henry Raymond
: [1]  
« previous next »
: