Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 02:14:26 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Memorial Day In The Old Days Was May 30th
« previous next »
: [1]
: Memorial Day In The Old Days Was May 30th  ( 2456 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : May 30, 2010, 08:39:05 AM »

In 1971, federal law changed the observance of the holiday to the last Monday in May and extended the honor to all soldiers who died in American wars. A few states continue to celebrate Memorial Day on May 30.

I remember back a number of years ago I lost a number of tomato plants to the frost and couldn't figure out why.  Somebody mentioned to me that my tradition of planting my tomato plants on Memorial Day was no longer valid as Memorial Day was now in some cases almost a week earlier.

Maryann and I were talking about when Memorial Day was yesterday, and since we are both retired, not as concerned as we used to be about a day off from work.  Went to the Internet and found it is celebrated the last Monday in May.

Oh Well!!  I suppose I will be checking again next year to see when Memorial Day is??
« : May 30, 2010, 08:50:18 AM Henry »

Henry Raymond
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #1 : May 30, 2010, 08:40:37 PM »

So was it Veteran's Day change form Armistice day?

Some reason I thought it was Memorial Day......
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #2 : May 30, 2010, 09:02:34 PM »

Veterans Day used to be Armistice Day

Memorial Day used to be Decoration Day

Henry Raymond
: [1]  
« previous next »
: