Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
June 17, 2024, 01:40:18 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Political Issues/Comments
| | |-+  Legislative Update - 2.21.11
« previous next »
: [1]
: Legislative Update - 2.21.11  ( 2321 )
Gary Gilbert
: 77

« : February 21, 2011, 10:09:46 AM »

This week, the House Education committee recommended a repeal of the two-vote or split vote provision one year before it is due to sunset because it did not work and local boards had actually reduced spending on their own. The intent was to reduce spending overall by forcing two-votes on a budget that had an increase of more than 1 percent of the increased cost of living compared to the prior years budget if a district had more than state average spending.  However, a small increase could affect a moderate spending district while a high spending district could increase their spending by a much larger sum of money while staying within the same percent range. No high spending districts were affected by this provision. Voters would also lose their right to approve or disapprove special warning items as they saw fit. It was insulting to local elected boards that had carefully prepared a budget and insulting to local voters who were asked to evaluate and vote on that budget proposal.

In the coming weeks, we will be examining the manner in which education governance currently operates and how reorganization could contribute to a more effective and efficient system. The role of the Governor, Commissioner, State Board, Local Boards, Dept. of Education and the Legislature are all under review. (The VT Business Alliance report is a good beginning point for discussion.) House Ed will have a bill out shortly to focus the discussion and has a Public Hearing on Governance planned for March 9, 2011 from 5:00 ­ 7:30 pm in room 11 at the State House.

Rep. Gary Gilbert
Fairfax/Georgia
: [1]  
« previous next »
: