Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 05:36:00 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Kindles now Compatible with Listen Up Vermont!
« previous next »
: [1]
: Kindles now Compatible with Listen Up Vermont!  ( 3635 )
Fairfax Librarian
: 870

« : September 23, 2011, 08:51:59 PM »

After a long wait, Kindle owners can now check out books at www.listenupvermont.org!

See attached sheet for the information the library has received so far about how to use your Kindle with the free downloadable ebooks
from Listen Up Vermont.  If you are new to Listen Up, please take the guided digital tour and read the Getting Started sections at their website.

Another tip:
How to return a Kindle eBook early

1.  An eBook checked out on the Kindle is returned through Amazon.  Go to www.Amazon.com and from the Kindle menu on the left, select "Manage Your Kindle."

2.  Sign in to your Amazon account.

3.  Selection "Actions" dropdown menu next to the book you want to return.
(Tip:  the words "Public Library" will appear next to any library eBooks)

4.From the menu, select "Return this book."

5.  Select "Yes" on the pop up to return the book.

6.  After you return the book, it will still show in Your Kindle Library list.  To remove it from the list, select "Actions" again and from the drop down menu select "Delete from library."
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #1 : September 24, 2011, 01:32:50 AM »

I saw that on Google News.....
That is a neat way to get books out there.

Last book I read had to do with rebar and concrete.

Are print books soon to be out?

I can't read so I have no idea what you speak of..........
I put the rebar in the wrong place.

mirjo
: 785

« #2 : September 25, 2011, 01:59:33 PM »

Is Kindle the only compatible e-reader with Listen Up Vermont? Is there e-reader brand compatibility issues like there are with Apple? Or is it a matter of Kindle being the "Kleenex" of all e-readers? (iPod is the Kleenex of Mp3 players, even though Apple products are only compatible with Apple-centric programs/software etc.)

If the world gives you melons, you might be dyslexic
fletchtb
: 310

« #3 : September 25, 2011, 05:10:31 PM »

I believe the kindle was the last to the library party. Devices like the Barnes and Noble's Book and others supported the epub format long ago. Amazon just introduced a way around round last week that allows their product to work with libraries last week.

Fairfax Librarian

« #4 : September 26, 2011, 11:40:29 AM »

The previous replier is correct.  Amazon had kept the Kindle as Amazon-books-only until now.
Many hand held and mobile devices are compatible with Listen up Vermont, including the Nook, Kobo Reader, iPod, iPad, etc.  For a complete list you can look at the link to
compatible devices on www.listenupvermont.org.
« : October 12, 2011, 07:30:57 PM Fairfax Librarian »
trussell

« #5 : September 26, 2011, 09:19:09 PM »

Mike, technical books can also be turned into ebooks- We're looking at converting our maintenance manuals to .pdf and giving the Techs each kindles.  They have lots of pictures so they wouldn't have to read much ;)

You can also import .txt files, which I just did for a friends wedding vows :)

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson
: [1]  
« previous next »
: