Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 12:59:52 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Fairfax fireworks?
« previous next »
: [1] 2
: Fairfax fireworks?  ( 8605 )
Cat

« : June 21, 2009, 07:38:55 PM »

Is Fairfax doing fireworks this year? If so where are they letting them off?

Thanks.
Judi
: 508

« #1 : June 22, 2009, 05:24:04 AM »

There will be no Fairfax town fireworks this year.
Suzy
: 429

« #2 : June 22, 2009, 08:19:11 AM »

I have never seen local community fireworks like I've seen up at Lake Eden.  It just goes on and on and on.  I don't think it's an organized thing either, I think it's just people that live there around the lake setting off fireworks.  I know it's a long drive from Fairfax, but it's usually an amazing show. 
NorthFairfaxBoy
: 346

« #3 : June 22, 2009, 08:24:53 AM »

While it is a drive...check out the fireworks in Roxbury, VT.  Small but so very entertaining. 

Brian Farris

I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
cakelady
: 43

« #4 : June 22, 2009, 02:30:40 PM »

So sad that there are no Fairfax fireworks. A little closer to home than the others is Smuggs. Usually the army band plays before and during the fireworks, makes me get a lot patriotic and a little sappy every time!
Cat

« #5 : June 22, 2009, 06:08:21 PM »

We are pretty upset that there will be no fireworks in Fairfax this year. Does anyone know why they are not doing them?

I guess we will be heading to the Colchester fireworks.
mirjo
: 785

« #6 : June 23, 2009, 01:39:46 AM »

It's unforunate that the fireworks were voted down at town meeting last year and the funding was limited, because for all the years that Fairfax put them on--since my son was a small child it was a fantastic show for such a small town and far better than those in St. Albans each year. Unfortunately, the yays or the nays have it at town meeting and the Fairfax Fireworks naysayers were the majority last year, thus ending what was becoming a tradition in the town.

I know there are some members of the community who had expressed an interest at one point in developing a town fourth of July celebration, complete with BBQ and parade, that kind of small town stuff--games and what not. what better way to end th e day than with firewore works.

Last year, private donations were short of the usual amount used for the show by about half i think, resulting in rockets that didn;t go as high above the trees as in previous years. Morin's were kind enough to allow their hill to be used, and as long as the view was unobstructed, it was a decent show. Unfortunately, there were some disappointed folks who went to the  usual viewing area at the school and were  unable to see many that did not clear the tree line well. I am not aware if there were other problems that occured or not. I noticed that no oe mentioned fireworks at all this year.

Perhaps one day, in better times, fireworks will be proposed again and the majority rule will be those in favor and the members of the community who are interested in organizing a July 4th celebration will succeed.

If the world gives you melons, you might be dyslexic
katrinaantonovich
: 162

« #7 : June 23, 2009, 01:44:32 AM »

Just a quick response -
I'd love to see a faifax fourth celebration day - or have community day just expand  - Give it time - it will happen
Cat

« #8 : June 23, 2009, 04:46:12 AM »

Instead of the community day we should have had a 4th of July celebration with picnic, fireworks, etc..Or just combine it as one like someone above mentioned. It really can bring a community together & also from what I heard from some people who went to the community day celebration they were not very impressed & actually very disappointed with it.

My family & I are very disappointed that Fairfax will not be celebrating the 4th of July especially my children.
Judi

« #9 : June 23, 2009, 07:32:55 AM »

It seems like it is always the ones that don't get involved in the planning and financing of events that complain the loudest when they don't happen or live up to their expectations.  I personally want to thank the recreation department for all the wonderful effort they put into creating events for the children of this town. With the small budget they have to work with it is a wonder anything happens.  I commend the efforts of those who do get involved in a positive way instead of sitting back and waiting for someone else to do something.  If the people in this town don't vote to fund fireworks you can't blame those that did but weren't in the majority.  We are all disappointed and can only look ahead when the economy improves and people have the extra resources to fund more of the wants instead of the needs of this community.
Loctavious
: 559

Follow The White Rabbit

« #10 : June 23, 2009, 09:49:55 AM »

I can attest for how hard it is to achieve goals that are 'machined' or achieved by volunteers.  I use to think that there was virtually a limitless supply of volunteers as different siblings ebbed and flowed through the different youth rec programs - but unfortunately there tends to be a VERY finite amount of folks willing to help out.  There's always your DIEHARD volunteers who go above and beyond to help out as much as they can, but unless they're 'reinforced' or aided by a stream of fresh blood - you run the risk of burning those folks out.  When that happens - there's more work for fewer volunteers to get done - thus burning others out - a destructive cycle to say the least.  I empathize with those in these positions.

I like the idea of SEPERATE celebrations for Community Day and July 4th.  There's 2 different themes there.  Yeah you could combine them if budget is a problem - but I'd like to see them kept separate if at all possible.  WHY?  2 different excuses to get Local families together to have fun outside!  If enough people get excited about - a funny thing happens........... others suddenly get excited about it and want to do what they can to make it happen.

As for Fireworks - isn't funding ( and just not for materials - but also for certified folks who are insured to do it) a major obstacle?  and this year - forseeing the downturn in the economy, it was a particularly bad year to alot funding?
« : June 23, 2009, 09:55:13 AM Henry »

"Conservatives see any progress outside of what they approve of as the 'liberal agenda'.  Apparently no one told them they and what they think aren't any better than the rest of us"

"A closed mind is more dangerous than an ignorant one"
Cat

« #11 : June 23, 2009, 11:15:17 AM »

I see other towns much smaller going all out with parades, picnics, fireworks.  I have never lived in a town/city where they didn't do some kind of celebration.
Judi

« #12 : June 23, 2009, 11:32:17 AM »

I understand everyones frustration that Fairfax is not having fireworks, we all would like to be able to afford them each and every year.  With the high cost of living and a lot of job losses many would be contributors just don't have the spare money to contribute this year.  When you are talking many thousands of dollars for a decent display it was voted against adding another financial burden at the town meeting.  Many towns have some wealthy individuals or business owners who pitch in which helps a great deal.  There aren't that many business resources in Fairfax that can easily take up the slack. 
Cat

« #13 : June 23, 2009, 11:52:27 AM »

Maybe if the containers to collect money for the fireworks were set up like last yr then people would have gotten into doing it.  Maybe the donations for the 4th of July should be going on all year long.
David Shea
: 471

« #14 : June 23, 2009, 12:36:05 PM »

When I was a kid growing up in Fairfax there was a dedicated group of parents / community members that used to organize a 4th of July Parade.  The parade was organized in conjunction with the Fairfax community rummage sale and a carnival of sorts at the J & L Field.  I really used to enjoy these events and now that I am an adult volunteer, pack leader for the cub scouts, I can appreciate the effort that was involved putting the events together.

So to the group that did all of this during the 70's thanks for creating lasting memories for me.

Also to the group that organized swimming lessons at Met Calf Pond thank you.  I am still not a great swimmer, but remember the bus ride from the school and bobbing in the pond.  Great memories from my youth......

Dave Shea
: [1] 2  
« previous next »
: