Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 01:41:25 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Fairfax Resident Reports Strangers Roaming In Town
« previous next »
: [1]
: Fairfax Resident Reports Strangers Roaming In Town  ( 7216 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : August 10, 2009, 06:46:58 PM »

A concerned Fairfax Citizen called me tonight to report that there were a couple of strangers roaming around town.  They were seen walking up Fletcher Road, then down on Maple Street where they got into a car with New York License Plates, which they then drove up to Boissoneault Road, where they entered an old barn owned by Stephen Godfrey.  Someone was working next door and said they entered the barn and had measuring tapes.  The concerned resident called 911 and State Police came out, but were unable to locate the car or the people.  The resident did not dare try to get close enough to get the license number.  I believe these people may not have been up to any mischief, however, I have taken a photo of Mr. Godfrey's barn, so if you see any unusual activity there, you can contact someone to check it out.

Henry Raymond
Barbara
: 270

« #1 : August 10, 2009, 08:41:27 PM »

The neighborhood watch thing is great, but the "strangers" might have been Godfrey and Marcella.  They were in town on their way to Montreal and then a large family reunion. 
« : August 11, 2009, 05:11:57 AM Barbara »
Margie
: 156

« #2 : August 10, 2009, 08:53:13 PM »

I agree.  As I was reading Henry's post my first thought was "did anyone check with the Godfreys to see if they had people there to see about work on the barn or something?"  I understand with all the issues going on lately with the robberies and such, people are a bit skittish right now.  It is a wonderful thing to know that neighbors are watching out for neighbors, but we should be just as concerned about overreacting to things.
Henry
Administrator

« #3 : August 10, 2009, 09:21:15 PM »

I don't believe anybody overreacted Margie.  To the best of my knowledge, the Godfreys no longer live here and I wouldn't have the vaguest idea how to contact them.  These were people in an out of state car entering private property.  The intent was to have someone in authority contact them and ask them what they were doing.  If they were doing nothing wrong, no big deal.  I would think that Mr. Godfrey would feel grateful that someone was observant and concerned enough to contact someone if they saw someone on his property.  The individual that called me spent quite a bit of time observing these people walking around town.

Its better to be safe than sorry.

Henry Raymond
David Shea
: 471

« #4 : August 10, 2009, 09:51:44 PM »

I welcome overreaction!  If anyone sees someone enter my house I hope that they overreact!  Baseball bat, large stick, pipe...

I am sick and tired of it!
Barbara
: 270

« #5 : August 11, 2009, 05:17:55 AM »

First of all I have to apologize for starting the incorrect naming of the Stephens as the Godfreys, I have always confused Godfrey's last and first names.  I would also like to lodge my concern about reacting out of frustration to the current climate of vandalism and theft with violence.  As a community it is wonderful to be alert to anyone who may be where they don't belong but the best response is not violence.  There are other ways to react.
cedarman
: 370

« #6 : August 11, 2009, 06:14:49 AM »

I think it's great to have observant neighbors watching the houses around them.

A couple years ago, I bought an "fixer-upper" house in Northern NY.  The house is about 1/2 way between where my parent's live, and our home in Fairfax.  About a month after I bought the house, I was on my way home late at night after visiting my parents for an exhaustive working weekend.  I decided I was too tired to make the drive and stopped at MY house to sleep for the night.

I was woken early in the morning by a NYS Police officer asking who I was, etc.  The neighbors had reported the "out of state" plates at a house which hadn't been occupied for several months.

I later thanked them for keeping an eye on the place.  I'm glad to see there are people in our town here doing the same.

Keep up the good work.
slpott
: 457

« #7 : August 11, 2009, 06:28:13 AM »

I knew this could be up for discussion but the facts are the facts. I never have seen anyone in that barn as long as I have lived here or as long as my mom lived down there. The youngsters were on foot. Just so happened we saw them again on main street hooking up with a vehicle from out of state. Seemed kinda weird so we followed to see where they were going. They went back to the barn. If there was a for sale sign around that would have been different but there were no apparent reason why they would be there. I simply called the police and let Henry know. I do not feel like I overreacted nor do I feel like I stuck my nose in someone else's business. This was not Mom and Pop stopping to check things out or wander through town on foot to see the sites. It just struck us odd so we did what we were told to do. It is not very often we see out of towners walking Fletcher Road for a liesurely walk and then meet up with a vehicle on main street. It was what it was and I apologize if I offended anyone. I would be thrilled if I was the owner of the barn and knew what happened. Especially if I lived out of town.  
« : August 11, 2009, 09:06:25 AM Henry »
Henry
Administrator

« #8 : August 11, 2009, 08:30:25 AM »

Barb, I confuse the names also and have lived for years with the same problem with my own.  People who have known me for years still call me Raymond.  If my name is on a list, supposedly in alphabetical order and they can't find it, usually ask them to look under the H's.

I started the post wrong by calling them Godfrey.  They sold the Peloquin House to Mike & Diane Webb back in 2005.  They were people, however that I had never met.

We have a house across the road from us that is not occupied and I have on several occasions called the State Police to check out people that have either driven in there or walked in there and not come out.  One of the more dangerous things that happens in these old buildings is that they accidentally catch fire.  They have never made it out here yet before the individuals disappear and I certainly do not expect them to come out here likity split.

As for overreacting Shelly - Not so.  I applaud you for your followup and calling 911.

Henry Raymond
Jason Elledge
: 31

« #9 : August 11, 2009, 10:55:24 AM »

Thank you, Shelly.  I applaud your effort   Good to know that citizens of Fairfax are looking out for fellow citizens.  Like Henry said, better safe than sorry.
Margie
: 156

« #10 : August 11, 2009, 03:03:20 PM »

I, in no way, meant to offend anyone with my post.  I am just becoming increasingly concerned by comments I am hearing around town about what people would like to do in response to the issues of the robberies and other events.  I truly appreciate neighbors watching out for neighbors.  I have done that all my life and will continue to do so.  I am just worried about the increased tensions in town and worried it will escalate into something where someone could get hurt.  Hence my "overreacting" comment...

Based on what Shelly wrote about what she saw, calling the police is absolutely what I would have done too. 
Judi
: 508

« #11 : August 11, 2009, 03:40:31 PM »

The great thing about this forum is everyone gets to express how they feel, it doesn't mean they would act upon those feelings.  It is very easy to misinterpret what is actually mean't with written dialogue and we all need to keep that in mind.  It is great that we live in such a caring community and can be respectful of the diverse opinions expressed here.  I don't mean to ramble and I hope everyone understands what I am trying to say.
Stand Alone Defense
: 771

« #12 : August 11, 2009, 10:22:38 PM »

Hoorah Shelly!! way to go!!

A veteran is someone who, at one
point in his life, wrote a blank check
made payable to 'The United States of
America ' for an amount of 'up to and including My life.'
: [1]  
« previous next »
: