Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 08:00:06 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  The Senate Has Approved A Four_Month Delay In Digital TV Conversion
« previous next »
: [1]
: The Senate Has Approved A Four_Month Delay In Digital TV Conversion  ( 4943 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : January 26, 2009, 07:32:40 PM »

Senate approves four-month delay in digital TV conversion.

Henry Raymond
trussell
: 870

« #1 : January 26, 2009, 07:47:53 PM »

That is ridiculous.  We've had HOW LONG to "get ready"?  Society obviously waits until the last minute to do things, and here's the government just reinforcing it....

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson
Henry
Administrator

« #2 : January 26, 2009, 07:54:50 PM »

I agree with you Trevor - Can't believe they did that either.  I am sure they could have come up with a rebate at a later time for the $40 - If people only knew how much better the picture is - Anyhow, its done.  PBS is hoping people will be putting some money aside to help them pay for the extra 4 months of duplicate broadcasting.

« : January 26, 2009, 08:00:56 PM Henry »

Henry Raymond
Barbara
: 270

« #3 : January 27, 2009, 09:55:29 AM »

Just felt I needed to add a thought here.  I wrote to our Senators and Representative asking them not to vote for this bill.  I am sure they heard many more voices crying that they weren't prepared, but there is still time to send a message to Rep Welch.  The house has not yet voted. 
Henry
Administrator

« #4 : January 27, 2009, 10:00:15 AM »

I did hear last night on Fox 44 that the TV Stations could in fact start broadcasting only in digital, which might be what VPS probably should do since they rely on donations for their broadcasts - This might have more of an effect if people found out they couldn't get certain stations without the digital converter.

I think that forum member JoeT works for VPS - Maybe he will have a comment.

Henry Raymond
Loctavious
: 559

Follow The White Rabbit

« #5 : January 27, 2009, 10:10:41 AM »

I think this is ridiuclous as well.  ALL our stations have dumped A LOT of money into both making sure THEY were ready for the upcoming switch over date, AND into Advetising to make sure the public is ready.  I'VE NEVER seen so much ADVERTISING for any 1 thing on TV - whether it be a product o revent (except for 9/11 and the Shuttle Columbia accident and that coverage was only intense for a week).

This is was something the government put a time stamp on, and now they're changing it to save what sort of capital here?  Does it trump that of which has already been spent by the networks?  I don't know how in the hell this got through the senate ( well i can see how it happened - the conversion isn't a necessity - nor is TV - thus it's easier to cut/postpone that then say Medicare funding or state jobs)

"Conservatives see any progress outside of what they approve of as the 'liberal agenda'.  Apparently no one told them they and what they think aren't any better than the rest of us"

"A closed mind is more dangerous than an ignorant one"
trussell

« #6 : January 27, 2009, 11:03:06 AM »

Funding being available or not, it still comes down to the fact that if people had applied earlier, they probably would have gotten their (pre)rebate card.  I realize that there wasn't enough funding to begin with, but if there was a huge request for these coupons back a year ago, perhaps more money could have been made available (not that I'm necessarily in favor of the government spending more money, but still).

I saw a quick PSA on (I believe) WCAX last night that stated they were going to reduce down to 10% of their output- I'm assuming on the original conversion date.  I laughed and thought that it was a great way to remain broadcasting, but to more or less "force" people to just switch on their own.  Good job, WCAX!

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson
Loctavious
: 559

Follow The White Rabbit

« #7 : January 27, 2009, 11:34:20 AM »

Yeah i saw that too - was hard to read as their was a narrator as well who couldn't keep up with the scrolling words.  Great idea though.

"Conservatives see any progress outside of what they approve of as the 'liberal agenda'.  Apparently no one told them they and what they think aren't any better than the rest of us"

"A closed mind is more dangerous than an ignorant one"
trussell

« #8 : January 27, 2009, 02:36:58 PM »

In case any one wants to contact Rep. Welch on this or any other matter:

http://www.welch.house.gov/
http://www.house.gov/formwelch/issue_subscribe.htm

-Trevor

Barbara
: 270

« #9 : January 27, 2009, 06:31:21 PM »

This is what I sent to our legislators, I suggest anyone who cares send their thoughts, ASAP!

I am writing to ask you to vote no on the extension
request for the switchover.  The country is running
out of money for many urgent projects, but cannot
shelve them all.  This changeover has been extremely
well advertised.  It is human nature to put off
action, but in our new administration I have heard the
call for responsibility.  It would be the responsible
thing to say a deadline is a deadline, too many of us
as private citizens and public broadcasters have
planned for this deadline.

When the coupon program was introduced it was made
clear from the start that citizens should not wait to
the last minute, coupons were in limited supply.  As a
compromise gesture to those who have waited to buy the
converter box perhaps the expiration date on the
coupons could be extended/lifted.  If the coupon was
issued there is money to back it. 

Owning a TV is not a necessity to life, it is a
luxury.  We need to remember what truly needs the
focus of our governments resources, those who have no
roof over their heads or food for their stomachs. I
ask that you consider my argument and vote no on the
bill to move the digital transition date.

: [1]  
« previous next »
: