Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 04:40:37 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Free Oriental Poppy Seeds
« previous next »
: [1]
: Free Oriental Poppy Seeds  ( 3044 )
Judi
: 508

« : July 11, 2009, 08:13:34 AM »

I have plenty of orange oriental poppy seeds, if anyone would like some to plant now you are welcome to come get them. You can email me to make arrangements.  The seeds I have planted have all bloomed in the 2nd or 3rd year.
slpott
: 457

« #1 : July 12, 2009, 06:30:42 AM »

I have a beautiful poppy that has finished blooming and now there is a big pod at the top. What do I do to get the seeds so I can re-plant some? Do you know?. I love poppies but was never able to grow them before moving to Vt. I really love the red ones. Thank you, Shelly
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #2 : July 12, 2009, 07:10:14 AM »

Well, I might as well say it I guess - Whenever I hear the word Poppy, I remember vaguely Flanders Fields and Opium.  This had to have been in Grade School and I graduated in 1945.  Flanders Fields was a poem.  As far as Poppies are concerned, I remember my grandmother talking about an old woman who smoked dope and as a child I connected that some way to Poppies.

Interesting what things creep into your head from your early childhood when you hear about something.  Guess that is why they say kids are impressed by what adults say and do.

Henry Raymond
Judi

« #3 : July 12, 2009, 08:42:55 AM »

I have a beautiful poppy that has finished blooming and now there is a big pod at the top. What do I do to get the seeds so I can re-plant some? Do you know?. I love poppies but was never able to grow them before moving to Vt. I really love the red ones. Thank you, Shelly

Shelly, the top of the pod has a fluted edge. Lift this off carefully and inside you will find hundreds of black seeds the size of salt.  Plant a lot of these together and you should get at least 3 or 4 plants. You don't need to presoak but keep them wet for a week or so in the ground.  With the rain we have been having it shouldn't be a problem!

Poppies love sandy soil and lots of sun and once they start growing they like the soil dry rather than damp and moist.  I have raspberry colored poppies but they are apparently hybrids because the seeds when planted produce an orange oriental poppy which was probaby the original plant used.   I was able to transplant successfully four raspberry plants from the original which can be done in august after the flowers have bloomed, the plant has rested and regrowth of the leaves has started.  Poppies in general are very hard to transplant however.
« : July 12, 2009, 12:27:43 PM Judi »
Judi

« #4 : July 15, 2009, 07:17:02 PM »

I have had some inquiries but I still have plenty if anyone is interested, call 849-6561  No Henry, I am not pushing drugs here!
: [1]  
« previous next »
: