Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 11:15:23 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Buck Hollow--safety issue
« previous next »
: [1]
: Buck Hollow--safety issue  ( 8707 )
Papi
: 66

« : February 15, 2010, 09:42:42 AM »

For those of you who travel Buck Hollow Road in the morning--- be wary.  In the early morning, there are some folks who are always out jogging with their dog.  I have no problem with joggers, but these people on Buck Hollow don't appear to be the safest or smartest individuals.  They jog in the dark and face oncoming traffic.  They rarely move to the side of the road as you approach them.  With winter road conditions (snow covered, winding roads, etc.) this is a recipe for disaster.
Suzy
: 429

« #1 : February 15, 2010, 10:00:17 AM »

Joggers and walkers are supposed to face oncoming traffic.  (Bicyclists ride with traffic.) 

Yes, definitely be careful on the Buck Hollow Road...people like to drive fast on that road.  (I am guilty of this in the past!)

Suzy
Papi

« #2 : February 15, 2010, 10:25:49 AM »

I am aware that joggers/walkers/runners should face oncoming traffic in order for them to avoid vehicles.  I may not have been clear but my point was that these individuals are facing oncoming traffic, can see approaching vehicles, but still do not move to the side of the road as vehicles approach.  Many times the vehicle's driver has to enter the opposite lane in order to avoid striking the jogger.  Hopefully, another vehicle is not already in that lane. 

As for speeding, people do drive fast on Buck Hollow.  However, these joggers are creating dangers for drivers driving well under the speed limit as well as for themselves.
Suzy
: 429

« #3 : February 15, 2010, 10:36:37 AM »

I see what you're saying...
Everyone be careful out there, (and have fun at the same time if possible!)
slpott
: 457

« #4 : February 15, 2010, 12:08:56 PM »

I don't think the only dangers are on Buck Hollow Road. My husband is a runner and he comes home furious every day. He either gets almost run over or bit by a loose dog. This is happening on River Road, Shepherdson Hollow, Swamp and Fletcher. I think if you are running with your dog, it is a good idea to stop when a car is coming so that the dog is not frightened. That is what they teach in dog training class anyway. I do see a lot of people that do do that though. Let's all be aware and share the roads. God forbid, I ever start running these roads. You would find me dead in the middle of the road. LOL
YouAnnMos
: 30

« #5 : February 15, 2010, 12:45:15 PM »

Yup... some people travel way too fast on Buck Hollow and other town roads. 

I have also passed these individuals in the early morning hours.  They seem to jog mostly on the long straight a way and always have LED headlamps on.  With the LED headlamps on I can pick them up from over a half mile away -- again... on the straight a way.    They seem to move in a single file when they see a car approaching, ( although maybe not always? ) and wear bright and or reflective clothing.   

Stepping to the side of the road as a car passes is a good idea as is slowing down when encountering joggers or bicyclist.  We all share town roads and we all need to respect one another.
cakelady
: 43

« #6 : February 15, 2010, 02:28:36 PM »

I am one of another group that runs on Buck Hollow in the morning. Speaking for myself and the others, we are taking all of the safety precautions we can (headlamps, reflective vests, facing oncoming traffic). I am cautious and move over when I can and hope that the oncoming vehicles will, too. I pay close attention to when cars are coming in both directions. Unfortunaltely, this is the only time of day that works for my schedule. I hope we can all (runners and drivers) be courteous and share the road.
Julie & 6pt Dave
: 179

« #7 : February 15, 2010, 06:50:54 PM »

I have no problem with joggers, but these people on Buck Hollow don't appear to be the safest or smartest individuals.

I guess I take offense to this remark because I am one of these individuals. We have been running/walking on Buck Hollow Road in the early morning weekday hours for many, many years now. We also have schedules that allow these early morning hours to be the most suitable time for us to get out for exercise. In the winter months, yes, it is dark. However, we are very cautious people and ALWAYS wear a reflective vest or visible attire and ALWAYS wear lights so that we can be spotted easily by cars. We ALWAYS walk/run facing traffic because that is what you are supposed to do. We ALWAYS have an eye on oncoming traffic to see if they have taken notice of us. If it appears that a car hasn't seen us and hasn't moved over to give some clearance, you will find us jumping into the ditch. It has happened. Yes, we do run side by side so that we can talk but ONLY when there is no traffic oncoming. When a car approaches, you will notice that we are then single file on the side of the road, far enough over to guarantee our safety.

Yes, winter weather does provide some challenges - for both the cars and those of us who walk and run. Our biggest challenge is not slipping or loosing our footing on those icy roads. It is far more dangerous for us to step off the paved roadway onto the uneven, bumpy and icy side. So yes, we do keep our feet on the roadway, but off to the side as far as possible. It is also the driver's responsibility to SLOW DOWN when conditions aren't perfect.

Now lets talk about the cars we see every morning. Ninety-five percent of the drivers out there expect to see us running or walking. They probably see us in approximately the same spot each and every weekday. They look for us and actually notice when we AREN'T there. These drivers are very courteous and gladly move into the other lane to give us space as they pass. Some slow down as they pass, others unfortunately do not, but at least give us plenty of clearance. If there happens to be a vehicle coming in the other direction, the courteous drivers slow down and wait until the oncoming car passes and then pull into the other lane to give us room. Sadly there are the drivers out there who try to squeeze past, without reducing their speed and without giving ANY clearance. That's when you find us jumping in the ditch.

In all honesty, I generally feel very safe as I run/walk in the morning. The stretch of road we use is very straight and I feel we are very visible to attentive drivers. I feel most drivers, although traveling too fast, do see us and give us respect. Likewise, I feel we are very respectful of the cars out there. We move over and are very aware of their presence. My dog is leashed and also stays to the side of the road when cars pass.

The roadway is a shared space. Drivers need to recognize that there will be walkers/runners/cyclists out there on all roads barring the interstate system at all times of day, including the early morning hours. It is the driver's responsibility to be constantly cognizant of what and/or who is out there on the roads with them. If they do so, we will all stay safe.
DrewCrash
: 104

« #8 : February 15, 2010, 08:59:41 PM »

@ Julie: I pass you all every morning between the 5:45 and 6:15 every morning, for probably three years now. I always feel bad that my high beams might be bothering you, as I usually don't shut them off when you are running towards me. I hope you understand why, I simply don't want to lose site visibility and as a runner myself, it has never in return bothered me.

Maybe tomorrow morning I will honk to say hi. But how do I know which group you will be in? Usually its two groups of two people who run seperately. Keep it up!
roadkill
: 80

« #9 : February 15, 2010, 09:03:08 PM »

Good for you Julie !!!!!!!! I agree with you 100%.  If I believe this to be the Julie that wote this, She is a very strong supporter of the "Safe Routes to School initiative" if not he founder of this great idea. PLUS, Someone that has publically spoken in favor of manageable speed limits for "specifacally"  Buck Hollow road and we all know she's right.   I agree she's right. Slow down Papi.
roadkill
: 80

« #10 : February 15, 2010, 09:06:37 PM »

I think you should go to "low beams" Drew, I havnt ran since I retired from the Army, I hated the "high beams"
Julie & 6pt Dave
: 179

« #11 : February 15, 2010, 09:40:05 PM »

Thanks for the support Drew and Gary.
Yes, Drew, the high beams do hurt. Only because we always have eyes on the oncoming cars. Once we know you have moved over though, we usually look down to save the eyes.

Give us a little honk, Drew, I don't want you to scare the dog.
Papi

« #12 : February 16, 2010, 07:04:26 AM »

Roadkill,

You write: "Slow down Papi."  I'm sorry, do I know you?  Do you have any idea how fast I do or don't drive?  I am in total agreement that people drive too fast on Buck Hollow Road (as well as most other roads in town).  My concern is with people jogging in the dark (which is not recommended by most safety organizations) on an ill-suited road in wintry conditions.  Vehicle operators need to slow down and joggers need to be safe and courteous as well.  None of us want to end up like your namesake, Roadkill.
Mummy
: 280

« #13 : February 16, 2010, 09:24:46 AM »

Well Papi -

I have to AGREE with you! 

I live on a dirt road and I do not walk, run or ride a bike from 6am - 8am or from 3:30pm - 6pm it is just UNSAFE!  Should a driver be tired, reach for something or misjudge their car, I don't want to be his MISTAKE, it just would not be a good choice for me to be out for my health at a risky time!  In the late afternoon, cars and trucks speed on my road and again, I don't believe that is a "healthy" choice car versus human - I think most folks know who would win. Too many "things" can go wrong (ie: Cell phones, texting, drunk drivers and drugs.) 

My God, it wasn't but two years ago on a bright sunny day when the children of Fairfax where out on Green Up Day when a "drunk driver" went off the road and into a telephone pole!  Does ANYONE remember how it was a BLESSING that no one was hit that day?   Does anyone remember?

I am not a fan of kids riding their bikes during high traffic times!  Personally, I can't believe parent's allow their children to ride their bikes along Main Street in Fairfax after school.  In my opinion, that is the highest risk of when most "new" young drivers are on the road with the least amount of driving skills.  Sorry, I believe my kids will be HEALTHIER not being in the hospital due to a car versus bike.  But that is just my parenting skills .... different folks see it differently but in the end NO AMOUNT OF SETTLEMENT is going to help those legs work again or fix what damage a car can do.

Something to remember ..... it was just 5-7 years ago late at night a young teenage boy was hit by a driver on Main Street in Fairfax WHO WAS GOING THE SPEED LIMIT and that kid DIE! 

: [1]  
« previous next »
: