Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 08, 2024, 05:01:14 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  School Budget Passes 529 Yes- 333 No
« previous next »
: [1] 2
: School Budget Passes 529 Yes- 333 No  ( 16149 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : May 28, 2014, 07:03:43 PM »

Chris Santee just called me from the polls.

Henry Raymond
RidgeRunner
: 73

« #1 : May 28, 2014, 07:58:58 PM »

Oh look people came out out to vote. I hope this year sends a message to the school.

What do you mean by this? What lesson  do you think should be learned?
Counselor
: 55

« #2 : May 28, 2014, 08:47:09 PM »

What I mean is more people came out to vote then the past 2 votes. My other point is the budget should not be passed when their are obvious cuts that were made after they took a closer look. So if it passed the first time around we as tax payers would have been paying for things that were not needed as discussed in the posted new budget plan. I believe their is still more work to do to continue to be fiscal responsible and always look at effective ways to keep costs down while giving the children an adequate education without the main focus on teacher benefits and union demands over the children's education.

How is this possibly the only message that was sent? What about the message that the community wanted to be petty and vindictive against educators? What about the message that we simply need to be fiscally responsible, period.  Its not always about salaries, unions etc. Sometimes the increase in cost is simply about good quality education. The message we send should be about supporting just that, good, high quality education without the divisiveness.
RidgeRunner
: 73

« #3 : May 28, 2014, 08:56:05 PM »

What I mean is more people came out to vote then the past 2 votes. My other point is the budget should not be passed when their are obvious cuts that were made after they took a closer look. So if it passed the first time around we as tax payers would have been paying for things that were not needed as discussed in the posted new budget plan. I believe their is still more work to do to continue to be fiscal responsible and always look at effective ways to keep costs down while giving the children an adequate education without the main focus on teacher benefits and union demands over the children's education.

I too was pleased with the high turn out. It's great to see people doing their civic duty. While I understand your position on fiscal restraint, I think it is important to remember that  voted budgets are a balance of what is needed and what the town can support and that the minimum budget is not always the best answer.  Just ask anyone who has served in the military about products or services from the lowest bidder.
Chris Santee
: 2653

« #4 : May 29, 2014, 05:21:12 AM »

Voter Turnout:
Town Meeting - 609
1st Re-Vote - 573
2nd Re-Vote (May 28) - 862

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
Travis
: 141

« #5 : May 29, 2014, 06:30:12 AM »

How is this possibly the only message that was sent? What about the message that the community wanted to be petty and vindictive against educators? What about the message that we simply need to be fiscally responsible, period.  Its not always about salaries, unions etc. Sometimes the increase in cost is simply about good quality education. The message we send should be about supporting just that, good, high quality education without the divisiveness.

Petty and vindictive against educators because we can't afford never ending tax increases to support a bloated budget that wasn't properly reviewed? The final budget that passed cut out thousands of dollars, with a large portion of that from programs that were funded but not used. What hidden account was all of this money hiding in that it wasn't found in the first two budget proposals? The lackadaisical way in which the first and second budgets were reviewed and proposed were a slap in the face to the hard working people of this community. But you're right, we just wanted to be petty and vindictive against educators.

I think this year's school budget showed that we need to spend a little extra money to bring in an independent auditor to review the school's budget. I have a feeling that it would find a lot more unnecessary and unused money hiding in the budget.
Stand Alone Defense
: 771

« #6 : May 29, 2014, 07:54:59 AM »

Petty and vindictive against educators because we can't afford never ending tax increases to support a bloated budget that wasn't properly reviewed? The final budget that passed cut out thousands of dollars, with a large portion of that from programs that were funded but not used. What hidden account was all of this money hiding in that it wasn't found in the first two budget proposals? The lackadaisical way in which the first and second budgets were reviewed and proposed were a slap in the face to the hard working people of this community. But you're right, we just wanted to be petty and vindictive against educators.

I think this year's school budget showed that we need to spend a little extra money to bring in an independent auditor to review the school's budget. I have a feeling that it would find a lot more unnecessary and unused money hiding in the budget.

I AGREE!!!! I do not believe anyone was vindictive towards educators either.  I think most people agree that GOOD teachers deserve to make a good wage, but most people also agree that lazy teachers shouldn't be rewarded with a raise every year. Especially when most of the people paying for those increases, have been on pay freezes for the last 4 or so years do to our economic situation.  People don't take issue with the young, ambitious, hard working teachers that make 35gs a year... They deserve a raise and I would argue NEED a raise.  It is the tenure teacher that makes 75gs a year, puts in minimal effort, but is guaranteed a raise every year that most people have issues with.  For a tenure teacher, that wage and 10 weeks of summer vaca is a pretty good deal, they shouldn't have much to complain about.  I know a lot of people that work all year and don't even make 75gs with OT.  Again, I'm not bashing all teachers!!!! My sister is a teacher, but there needs to be some accountability I feel.   
« : May 29, 2014, 12:35:25 PM Stand Alone Defense »

A veteran is someone who, at one
point in his life, wrote a blank check
made payable to 'The United States of
America ' for an amount of 'up to and including My life.'
ohhman
: 469

« #7 : May 29, 2014, 08:02:44 AM »

I do not feel that many were petty & vindictive to the teachers; I think some are just saying that the "automatic" pay raise they get yearly maybe should not be this way, MAYBE it should be awarded based on MERIT...EARN it! I was very fortunate that my children had good experiences at BFA.  Were there some less than desirable teachers, sure, BUT the ALL others that they had were there for the right reason: they were teachers who wanted to teach, had a love for it & a real caring about the kids & yes, were EARNING a paycheck, & believe me, in my 25 years in the school, these were the teachers that far outweighed the not so desirables.  Many people in our community are just maxed & taxed out & I think, as long as the questions/statements were not direct hits to any one, take the beef up with the person only, then they are all valid, in my opinion.  For many years, we always saw a "surplus" at the end of the year,  & it was always explained, though many did not agree with the amount as to many, it seemed like a LOT of $$$.  Should we have an independent auditor come in & review?  That is something that should happen, not meant to accuse anyone, but to simply clarify that all is clear & there is nothing "hidden".  I find it interesting as in the past at the budget meetings questions have been asked & the answer given is that information is not with them at the time...again, NOT accusing, but, it does raise the red flag in this day & age.
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #8 : May 29, 2014, 08:24:23 AM »

I agree completely with Josh  (Stand alone defense) and Travis.

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
Counselor
: 55

« #9 : May 29, 2014, 11:07:47 AM »

Was not saying that people were petty etc, was just pointing out that (and there is a post or two that have been deleted from this thread) the message about salaries, unions etc being a burden to the community/schools  (and I am paraphrasing a post no longer here to cite properly) MAY NOT have been the ONLY message the two voted down budgets sent to the community.

I also pointed out the need for fiscal responsibility and appropriate spending.  As such, I do NOT think a bus needs to be a part of my school budget.  Let it be a separate item.  A new bus is a luxury item, just as new technology is. How much does a new bus cost in relation to another faculty member.  If amortized over time the two are similar, I would vote for smaller classes than newer transportation.  Heck, I would even be in favor of limiting the bus runs which may even force ME to provide my own children with transportation to the school which i OK with me if certain other responsible decisions are made.

Again, I was not saying that people WERE petty, just that it may have possibly been just one of MANY messages the school received ... Fiscal responsibility as well as providing high quality teaching is key to all of this and that is what we need to advocate for and support.
Kathleen
: 167

« #10 : May 29, 2014, 12:00:46 PM »

An independent audit is just a good business practice when the public is involved -- it gives everyone peace of mind. Even at CBP, the Federal government hires an independent auditor to review our collections every so many years.
Cat

« #11 : May 29, 2014, 05:07:42 PM »

I agree completely with Josh  (Stand alone defense) and Travis.

Me too!
nhibbard
: 393

« #12 : May 29, 2014, 09:07:00 PM »

You can't compare a bus and technology. You have to replace buses for safety and maintenance. We could get rid of the buses but then you'd have to hire out and I've heard we do more than pick up in town and drop off. There's transport to events and other schools for needs and technical classes. Buses are about as much a luxury as heat. There's no comparison to a personal vehicle either. Businesses have planned replacement and that's why we need to buy new ones every 10 years or so. Get rid of buses and see how unsafe it would be to drop kids off with even more parents driving to the school.
Travis
: 141

« #13 : May 30, 2014, 07:13:49 AM »

Was not saying that people were petty etc, was just pointing out that (and there is a post or two that have been deleted from this thread) the message about salaries, unions etc being a burden to the community/schools  (and I am paraphrasing a post no longer here to cite properly) MAY NOT have been the ONLY message the two voted down budgets sent to the community.

Don't you hate it when you respond to a post and then it gets deleted so your comments are out there posted without context?
Watchman
: 47

« #14 : May 30, 2014, 08:04:19 AM »

I have to say that I am very impressed with the insights of Travis and Ohlman. Specifically Travis's comment about "the bloated budget that was never reviewed" and Ohlman pointing out that his questions could not be answered because "information" was not available at the time. hen one starts to piece all of these situations together it should raise questions in the minds of the taxpayers. Three budget proposals into the process and there is a "discovery" that 3 instructional assistants are not needed. Now you know why information is not available to answer questions. Frankly I am embarrassed for the individual who made this discovery. Most of the other cuts appear to have been budget padding. There is a reason why most of the administration is looking for jobs elsewhere....
: [1] 2  
« previous next »
: