Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 12:38:37 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax Bloggers
| |-+  Uncle Mike's Thoughts Of The Day
| | |-+  Picture of the Day 5/14/09 and Blog- Kidney Update
« previous next »
: [1]
: Picture of the Day 5/14/09 and Blog- Kidney Update  ( 2486 )
MikeF9
: 1994

« : May 13, 2009, 10:18:16 PM »

Picture of the Day May 14, 2009

Margie took this picture of the Big Baby.

KIDNEY UPDATE
Posted for Thursday May 14th.......................

Our story thus far...................
Back in 2006, I was diagnosed with Polysystic Kidney Disease. On March 3rd, 2008, my doctor asked me if I had been asking around for a kidney, because I was looking at a kidney transplant some 3 years down the road.
I met with the transplant people a month later and was told I needed to lose some 40 pounds to be the maximum weight for a transplant. Things have been holding steady, but I have lost 50 lbs. in the meantime.

Back last summer, I started having tests done in order to get onto the waiting list. After things were stable back in late August of last year, I decided to put that on hold.
I had an appointment within the last couple of weeks and have decided to continue the tests. I think there is still blood work and chest x-ray to be done, and a couple other things.
My kidneys are operating at just above 20%. This means, the blood is only filtering out 20% of the toxins and bad stuff in the bloodstream.
I feel fine. The doctor asked me, "If you didn't know you had this, would you think you were sick?" I said no. I am very active. I don't feel sick at all.
The trouble could come with a major health incident, like a heart attack, stroke, or pneumonia, that could halt the function of the kidneys. But right now all the bloodwork numbers are stable.
Should things go to hell in a handbasket, I'm looking at dialyses. I am not looking forward to that. I guess they need to teach me the different kinds of that.
Through it all, I have been dragging my feet. At first, I thought, well, what happens will happen. Lately, I have been trying to stay positive and keep hoping I will stabilize and not have to through all this. But as the doctor says, unless I get hit by a bus, it's going to happen. I just hope I have a few years of good health first.
I am not looking for sympathy, or a kidney, it's just something I am going through and am being open and honest about it.

"If women don't find you handsome, at least let them find you handy."-Red Green
: [1]  
« previous next »
: