Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 09, 2024, 04:21:21 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax Bloggers
| |-+  Uncle Mike's Thoughts Of The Day
| | |-+  Computer Update- New Computer?
« previous next »
: [1]
: Computer Update- New Computer?  ( 4887 )
MikeF9
: 1994

« : June 09, 2010, 11:07:14 AM »

Sigh.
After two days of trying to deal with people of a foreign accent, one person told me it was a hardware problem and told me to call Compaq. They had gotten onto my computer and removed some suspicious files, and also a bunch of temporary files, which was supposed to speed things up but didn't.
So I called Compaq, and they told me that my RAM is too low. I purchased this computer in 2004. It has 512 MB of RAM. I can either get more RAM or a new computer. Computers now has on average 2GB of RAM.
Right now, it's seems okay, but in the process, they wiped all my log-ins, and I can't even get on the net through the wireless, like I used to. I now have to connect through Fairpoint, and making the wireless useless to Margie's laptop and the iPhones.

Right now, I have been downloading all my pictures and other Documents, and Scans onto discs in case my computer totally crashes.
I will see how things go. Maybe I will try to post some pictures later.

"If women don't find you handsome, at least let them find you handy."-Red Green
Julie & 6pt Dave
: 179

« #1 : June 09, 2010, 02:11:55 PM »

Hey Mike,
Our system was about six years old also.  About three weeks ago it died.  Opened up the box and discovered that the MOBD had some of the infamous 'X'ed out capacitors.  Well, a couple of the caps were bulging but a third was leaking its insides through the "X" and down the side of the capacitor.  I went out a bought a new MOBO, memory, CPU and HDD. 

Anyway, I have two sticks of 512KB CORSAIR Platinum Series 2700 (333MHz) and one stick of KBYTE 1GB PC400 ( but it works with the 333MHz as it just runs at a lower clock speed).  That's 2GB of memory that was running together for years in my old setup.  You are more than welcome to it -- free of charge -- if you think it will fit in your current system.   Think of it as my 'payment' for enjoying your entries on this forum.

If you're not sure if the memory is compatible with your system look up the model of your system on the COMPAQ WEB site.  Or post the model here.

Dave
« : June 09, 2010, 02:20:05 PM Julie & 6pt Dave »
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #2 : June 09, 2010, 11:33:44 PM »

UNCLE MIKE...

If you can, BUILD your own cpu.
I have did this for my gamer and my Media Server.
Cheaper and cleaner.

RAM is tricky, really tricky.... but buy it in chunks.

www.newegg.com is a good resource.

If you need more help, PM me.

My media server was under $400.00 w/o OS and I "found" an OS that is flawless......
My gamer was under $900.00 about 4 years ago and it is still top shelf....

They are SO EASY to build and you do not get all that pre loaded crap!
Mike Raburn

« #3 : June 09, 2010, 11:41:14 PM »

Oh, and my MEDIA SERVER has an HDMI out video card...they are SO cheap now.
Like I have said before,,, We watch all of our TV down in my man-room off the internet onto my 42" LCD tv,,,,,

Technology changes HOURLY!
MikeF9
: 1994

« #4 : June 09, 2010, 11:53:27 PM »

Thanks, Dave and Mike. Things are working, knock on wood, so I will deal with this at the moment. New computer sounds nice. I am not a techno guy, so to speak. Margie is better at setting up programs than I am.
We will see. Thanks for the offers!

"If women don't find you handsome, at least let them find you handy."-Red Green
JoeT
: 100

« #5 : June 10, 2010, 11:49:36 AM »

If you are running Windows with *any* brand of anti-virus software with less than 1GB of memory, your PC will be slow.
When you loaded the McAffe update, it is consuming more of your machine than before (bloatware).

Microsoft may say the minimum requirements for a machine is (so-and-so)...in reality, 1GB of memory (double what you have now) should be the minimum.

Joe
Mike Raburn

« #6 : June 12, 2010, 04:01:24 AM »

I agree with Joe.

Anti Virus programs are a memory HOG....and a not necessary program to run.
RAM hogs.

MS Windows, any version, has enough built-in stuff to protect and alert you as is.

Anti Virus that you pay for are a huge scam.

I have been using free-ware anti virus programs for years and have never had a problem.

If you pay attention to trades, the pay for virus programs CAUSE the most problems.
False positives and what not.

Besides,,, your ISP has so many barriers to block stuff... it is bananas!

SCAM I tell ya..............
: [1]  
« previous next »
: